25 Smartest Moments in Video Game History from Gamespot

So far it just #25-21

#25 - Everquest's Launch in 1999

#24 - Myst one of the first games to take advantage of CD-Rom media

#23 - Better than at the arcade console ports

#22 - Direct X solves compatibility issues on PCs

#21 - Pac Man and the Aracde boom

A side note to #21 -

Knowing a good thing when they saw it, Midway licensed the game for the U.S. market. The name Puckman had an obvious problem, though. Simply change the P to an F with a little spraypaint or black tape and you'll have a nation of mothers screaming about how an arcade game is contributing to the delinquency of today's youth. That's how the little yellow circle with the wedge shaped mouth became Pac-Man.

that would have been too funny...

Guest JaKyL25

I preferred reading the article about the Dumbest moves in gaming. It's hard to really think of any singularly brilliant moves--More often than not all the great stuff happened as the result of a stupid move or dumb luck.

I can think of some recently that MAY turn out to be smart moves (Nintendo and Capcom's partnership, Nintendo ditching Rare, Rockstar circumventing Sony to bring Vice City to Xbox), but time will tell.

Guest razazteca

Pokemon should be in there somewhere as it was the big draw for the Game Boy and Nintendo.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

#20 - Asteroids arcade keeps high scores

#19 - Roy Trubshaw and Richard Bartle pave way for multiplayer online games

#18 - Sony creates Memory Cards for the PS

#17 - September 13, 1993 - "Mortal Monday"

#16 - EA Sports gets "in the game"

None of these really stand out..

Guest Lightning Flik
What was mortal monday?

The release of "Mortal Kombat" and the really good commercial about it.

Guest CED Ordonez

15: Atari Brings Space Invaders Home

14: Gamers Get Their Files in a .wad

13: E3 rescues the industry from CES

12: The ESRB Starts Rating Games

11: Nintendo Puts a Seal on Gaming

10: Dreamcast Connects Console Gamers

9: Sega Does What Nintendon't

8: 3dfx Kicks Off the "3D Gaming" Era

7: Nintendo Hires Shigeru Miyamoto

6: The Activision Rebellion

I'm sorry, but reading the list makes it sound like they were grasping for straws after making their Dumbest Moments list.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic
What was mortal monday?

Accliam spent 10 million on the ad campaign for the home console release of Mortal Kombat.

#12 - ISDA creates ESRB ratings and saves the Gaming Industry from Joe Lieberman - had they not put a rating system in premptively, Video Games would probably be highly restricted and censored.

#11 - The Nintendo Seal of Quality for NES Games - I remember the little gold seal on the NES Games. It made me feel good.

#10 - Dreamcast is the first console with a modem - yeah, and that really worked out well didn't it?

#9 - SEGA's "Genesis does what Nintendon't" ad campaign - I suppose this is where Nintendo got its kiddie image. That and the MK censor job..

#7 - Nintendo Hires Shigeru Miyamoto - they better have some better ones in the top 5 than this.

Guest teke184

The Activision Rebellion is definitely a top 10 moment... Atari was content to fuck over its own developers and make crappy games like Starship when Dave Crane and several others jumped ship to release classics like Megamania, Stampede, Kaboom!, Laser Blast, Pitfall, and others.

They were one of the earliest third-party developers for any system and the first for a console, which subjected them to a lot of lawsuits from Atari.

Imagic, developer of Demon Attack, Atlantis, Cosmic Ark, and Dragonfire, was also formed from a core group of programmers who fled Atari.

Guest razazteca

So what will #1 be? Tetris makes it to Nintendo?

or

Pinball machines move to video age?

Guest MarvinisaLunatic
So what will #1 be?  Tetris makes it to Nintendo?

or

Pinball machines move to video age?

Tetris might be in the top 5, but I seriously doubt anything about pinball machines will.

1,2 or 3 will be something about the Game Boy, guaranteed. There have been more Game Boys sold then all of the other consoles sold combined since Game Boy's launch in the late 80's.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Top 5

#5 - R.O.B. the Robot and a light gun make NES the toy of the future.

#4 - Game Boy and Tetris

#3 - Quake fuels internet gaming

#2 - Sony creates the Playstation

and..

#1 - Pong

Guest Mattdotcom

And in one week, we get two grand lists topped by OPRAH and PONG.

Get me my gun, Ethel...

god I remember how everyone wanted ROB..... talk about useless....

Pong? No Tank??

Injustice, I tell ya.

Guest redbaron51

Pong was definitly the number 1.

I can see Sony being there, and really change the gaming world (though the first year sucked).

Quake is horribly over-rated. (what so addicting about it)

Tetris is well Tetris

And that damn robot....I broke my friends one. I wasn't sure if he was happy or sad.

Guest KoR Fungus

They are such marks for online gaming, it's ridiculous. #25, #19, #14, #10 and #3 all deal with online gaming. If they wanted to combine them all together and call them #3, that'd be one thing, but to waste 1/5 of the list on various little innovations that together led to online gaming as we know it is pretty bad. Especially since Game Boy, which they have at #4 (and only on the list once), has been as influential and far more lucrative than everything related to online gaming combined. #10 is particularly annoying, because Dreamcast was a monumental failure that forced Sega out of the hardware business for good. How can that possibly be the 10th smartest moment in gaming?

Good list other than that though, and a very fun read because it's so well researched.

Guest Sakura

Mortal Monday was really awesome. It wasn't just the commercial that was good. The print ads were EVERYWHERE and were reallly good. "Prepare yourself."

The commercial and print ads for MK II were also excellent.

Too bad nearly all of Acclaim's ports of the MK games are lame.

Also I noticed Gamespy said MK came out for consoles "just a few months" after arcade. Unless by a "few months" they meant a YEAR they're wrong.