TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

I think the old stereotype of Eastern European sides having no bottle was proven to have more than a grain of truth in it tonight. They went from looking very composed and comfortable to a complete shambles. Not conceding 4 in an hour against Middlesborough? Obviously too much to ask for a semi-final quality side these days, I think most championship sides would have managed to see that one out. Middlesborough deserve massive credit of course but let's be honest, they're a mediocre side in the final of an increasingly mediocre competition.

UEFA cup's a joke. It's on ITV 4 for God's sake!

Back when you had proper clubs like Forest in it you'd get Prime Time BBC 1 with Lynam, Hill, Brooking, Hansen etc... those were the days.

'TheFranchise' Mar 29 2006, 11:50 AM

I'd love Lee Morris back at Derby, he cost us £3m from Sheffield United as a 19 year old, or something, but injuries really hampered him. He is very, very talented, but has lost his way.

It's rumoured he's training with us.

I didn't even know he'd gone until the other day! Incredibly injury-prone with just 2 starts and 8 sub appearances at Leicester. He's still only 25 though so nothing to lose by giving him a chance.

Season isn't even finished and our best player is been linked with Norwich for 750K, looks possible as well, when Port Vale bought Dinning they took out Brooker's Promotion Payment and now we're trying to flog Fortune to them in exhange for the Sell On Clause being took out.

Edit: Speaking of sell on clauses, every time we sell a player for a fee we include one(Akinbiyi,Lita,Hill,Rosenior,Amankwaah,Anyinsah)

Same here. Patrick Kisnorbo to Brum for 750k was the story. They cold be on their way down to play us next season anyway. Kisnorbo even has his own song now - A catchy 'He used to be shite/But now he's alright' variation on the old Viera chant in reference to a total transformation since switching to centre-half from centre mid. Hopefully there will be no Stearman and Fryatt rumours, it's nice to see some promising youngsters in the first team after having a reputation as a team of old gits for a couple of seasons.

Crazy attendances = Leicester Tigers got 13,000 for a reserve team game. Come to think of it they're also the only Leicester side who can sell out the Walkers!

Some notes from the last few days.

It's a shame (in a way) that Scolari won't be managing England, but now he's turned it down, McClaren has to be favourite - What if they appoint McClaren before the World Cup starts?

It would make things uneasy if Erikkson was giving a team talk with McClaren there with his own ideas for the team that is basically his.

On McC, it was great to see Boro doing what they did in Europe, I can't wait for both finals, it's unreal to imagine an Arsenal vs Middlesboro European Super Cup.

Who does everybody want to be the manager?

Of all the players to get injured.....sod's law it always happens to somebody right at the end of the season before an Tournament but that's the worst possible person to lose.

Might solve the Gerrard/Lampard problem if Sven put Gerrard in the Rooney Role, shove King/Carrick(depending on how defensive you want to be) in midfield leaving room for Lamps to make late runs in the box.

No chance of him doing it though.

Our list of Summer "Transfers" which have been talked about for weeks

Out

Cotterill to Fulham with him staying here until 2007

Brooker to Norwich

Phillips to MK Dons or Bristol Rovers

Fortune on a Bosman(turned down a 500k move to Preston in 04)

Stewart to anyone willing to take him

In

Fontaine Free Transfer from Fulham

McCammon Free transfer from Brighton

Phil Jevons and Chris Weale from Yeovil

Michael Reddy from Grimsby

Well thank fuck that season is over, what a season of just crap football, still hopefully 5 wins out of the last six games of the season might be a good sign that things will be better next season, and fucking hell Pompey didnt go down fuck, ah fuck it, at least I can see England winning the world cup with three ex-saints playing.

I'm actually pretty confident of hovering around 8th or 9th next season, with a fit squad we're actually quite good. I also should mention I may have watched Lee Bullen's last game for us (though I said that last season) and what a legend. Gave his all.

We've still got 1 game to play at Southend, It's their promotion party and Goater's last game with 3 sets of fans(Man City got tickets) there wearing Bermuda shirts and hoping he scores(result doesn't matter)

Confirmed that Lee Morris and Jon Ashton from Oxford are on trial, will probably have lots of trialists in the next few months.

I get the feeling Sven'll take Rooney, if only because he doesn't have a clue how to use anyone else he'd have to replace him with. Assuming he takes Owen, Crouch, Defoe and Bent, there's nobody else who's really got a chance. Johnson never got used properly. Vassell's had a pretty mediocre season. Sheringham would be a good option to throw on for the last 10 minutes if only because of experience, but I wouldn't see him taken. He knows nothing about Beattie. I like Dean Ashton but he's got the hamstring problem and he hasn't been used before. The only striker Sven really knows well enough to take would be Heskey and that'd be the most depressing decision he could make.

I'd like to see him take a chance on someone like Ashton, Beattie or even someone like Sheringham who've got some of Rooney's qualities. I don't see it happening though.

Dear Darren,

Congratulations on being the highest scoring Englishman in top level club football this season. Great job. Unfortunately, you play for Charlton so you're not in the squad. Oh, and you're not on standby either. We have this young 16 year old who'll take the focus off of Wayne and off of the whole 'Wenger/Dean thing'. Better luck next time. Your buddy,

Sven.

P.S, I'm taking Owen Hargreaves.

I saw Walcott playing right midfield for England U17s last year at our ground, gives me more experience of seeing him play than Eriksson.

We've released 5 players including Clayton Fortune who turned down a 500k move to preston a few years ago.

I have to say that this is the greatest FA Cup Final I've seen in years (at the end of 90 minutes, ET still to be played).

It takes me back to the magic the cup used to have when I was a kid.

Guest CurryMan

Mighty Mighty Liverpool :)

Hopefully Liverpool somehow will make a run toward the league next season and just not be a cup team.

I have to say that this is the greatest FA Cup Final I've seen in years (at the end of 90 minutes, ET still to be played).

How many good ones have there been since the Palace/Man U one? only ones that I can think of are 91,95, and today, the rest were one sided and/or boring.

after 76 years we finally get a player in the world cup finals, even if he's spending it on the Aussie bench.

How many good ones have there been since the Palace/Man U one? only ones that I can think of are 91,95, and today, the rest were one sided and/or boring.

after 76 years we finally get a player in the world cup finals, even if he's spending it on the Aussie bench.

I honestly can't think of a good one since the early 90's. Or at least not one I've been so engrossed in as a neutral.

Count yourselves lucky you've got a player at the World Cup. I don't think Pompey has one. Man, we suck.

Count yourselves lucky you've got a player at the World Cup. I don't think Pompey has one. Man, we suck.

You've got money to buy some who play well.

I honestly can't think of a good one since the early 90's. Or at least not one I've been so engrossed in as a neutral.

You suck!? Oh fuck off. Fucking Premier League fans complaining there team is shit because they've no one at the World Cup. Boo fucking hoo. You're Portsmouth for fuck's sake! It's a minor miracle you're in the Prem at all considering your shit ground, tiny attendances and that you've won fuck all for 50 years and yet you're complaining you've got no players at the World Cup. Jesus Christ. You try watching the absolute shite which is the fucking third division all season if you think Pompy suck. Besides, you're billionaire Russian owner Gaymark or whatever he's called will no doubt let Redknapp buy some players from the WC for some rediculous amount of money only for 'Arry to then complain the teams got to many foreigners who can't understand what he's saying as soon as results go downhill.

True, we're a Premiership side. And true we've got cash (very dubious cash, but money nonetheless). And we will almost certainly buy some random foreigners from the world cup who will flop when they get to England. But we are Portsmouth, and when I was watching them 15 years ago we were struggling under Frank Burrows trying to stay in the old second division, and in 15 years we'll plummet down the league when our owner gets locked up and everyone realises the club is unsustainable.

I'd swap being a Portsmouth Fan with being a Forrest fan, mainly because I can see Forrest in the top flight in 15 years time but not Pompey. Forrest are a big club, Pompey are a small club.

And when I say we suck, I just mean by the fact that we're the only top flight club without representation at the World Cup despite Harry and Perrin shipping foreigners in left right and centre. Don't get me wrong, I'm eternally grateful that Pompey are in their best position since the 50s and if it wasn't for a rich owner, Redknapp and an even richer owner we wouldn't be anywhere near there. It's not that long ago we were losing 4-2 at home to Leyton Orient.

Sorry about the rant. But I've fallen out with football following the end of our season.

It's not that long ago we were losing 4-2 at home to Leyton Orient

Bet you've never lost 3-0 to Yeovil though ;)

True, we're a Premiership side. And true we've got cash (very dubious cash, but money nonetheless). And we will almost certainly buy some random foreigners from the world cup who will flop when they get to England. But we are Portsmouth, and when I was watching them 15 years ago we were struggling under Frank Burrows trying to stay in the old second division, and in 15 years we'll plummet down the league when our owner gets locked up and everyone realises the club is unsustainable.

I'd swap being a Portsmouth Fan with being a Forrest fan, mainly because I can see Forrest in the top flight in 15 years time but not Pompey. Forrest are a big club, Pompey are a small club.

And when I say we suck, I just mean by the fact that we're the only top flight club without representation at the World Cup despite Harry and Perrin shipping foreigners in left right and centre. Don't get me wrong, I'm eternally grateful that Pompey are in their best position since the 50s and if it wasn't for a rich owner, Redknapp and an even richer owner we wouldn't be anywhere near there. It's not that long ago we were losing 4-2 at home to Leyton Orient.

You don't know suck unless you've seen a Tony Pulis home display, thank god some idiots wanted him and gave us 250k. ;)