TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

I'll try and keep this thread on track and not break into Football/Championship Manager haha

Talking of young ability harnessed into great players - it saddens me when I realize Newcastle United are not a team to do this. They're shit at it. We've let Beardsley and Shearer both just waltz out of the club for one reason or another, then had to pay for them to return. We've never developed a good young player in the 18 years I've followed them. The closest we've got is Steve Harper and Steven Taylor, then if I REALLLLLY want to stretch it.

Steve Howey

Steve Watson

Hang on... anyone called fucking Steve!

Lee Clark

Robbie Elliott (who's returned to the Toon as a coach now)

Sad fact, only 10 players born in Bristol have ever played Premiership football, can't even claim Scott Sinclair as he's from Bath.

Scott Golbourne

Marcus Stewart

Darren Peacock

Julian Dicks

Keith Curle

Ian Holloway

Gary Penrice

David Lee

Mike Hooper

Andy Johnson (not the everton one)

Honest opinion, Aimar is past it. Jonas is a much better player. I wanted Jonas in the winter as apparently we were interested, but nothing ever came of it. Buying Aimar is just a case of buying a name, just like Milan bought Ronaldinho, I suppose.

Well, its what Newcastle do best to be fair. Buy people on their name and then wonder why they're shite - however, we also give people a chance, which again is probably our undoing (Joey Barton).

Aimar want to Benfica in the end, turned down both us and Everton to go.

We're apparently very close to signing Robbie Keane. On one hand, it's near blasphemy to see the word Keane on the back of a Liverpool shirt. On the other, we really need a player like that, and to sign a player who loved the club when he was a child...thumbs up. A second player up top is one thing that really kept us from winning the league. I think we can if Keane comes.

Przemyslaw Kazmierczak

I'll give you £10 if you guys can make a terrace chant for that name! Interesting that he's slipped into the Derby team though, keep us informed of what he's like, personally can't say I've heard of him, but Paul Jewel does have a love affair with random Polish players. He signed Tomasz Cywka for Wigan too.

EDIT: I've decided to blog Newcastle's season this season on my TSM blog if anyone wants to read it. Expect a break down around mid November.

Well, he could turn out to be the signing of the season, even if it is just a loan, for you guys. I mean, I was surprised Paul Jewel was as brunt and as honest as he was last season when he basically came out and said the whole Derby team wasn't worthy of being in the Premiership! What was your take on that, as a fan? I mean, I think he's right, anyone who can give Sunderland a run for their money to take away the worst Premiership record ever, has to have a serious look at themselves.

However saying that, it taken Sunderland 40m+ to 'just' secure themselves in the Premiership again this year. Will Derby ever have that money to spend? Is that what it takes now for a club to 'gulf' the gap between the Championship and Premiership?

The problem was that we came up two years too soon. We were just like West Brom two years ago.. we went up and they didn't, they had an extra year to get stronger and they have, so they won't be as bad as we are.

The other thing was, we weren't the third best team in the Championship that year. We did finish third, by a good 10 points or so too after leading the league for a lot of the season.. but we were scraping scrappy 1-0 wins. Billy Davies took an average Championship team and managed to lead them to a lot of scrappy results, we didn't deserve to go up in West Brom's place at all.

Now, as for the second part of the problem - making the step up. To survive in this top division, you need at least three players who will walk into 90% of the sides in the league, and 13 or 14 players who could be good squad players for other teams. The best Derby had was Miller and Barnes, who many could argue would struggle to get into any top 10 team at the most.

So who did we sign? Rob Earnshaw was our record signing. In fact, he might have been the only signing before the season started. We got Miller in August or so, but either way, we just weren't ready. We spent about £15m on 7 players or so, 6 of them League One/Championship standard.

The truth is, when Jewell came in, he inherited a side that WAS terrible, it wasn't a secret. We just couldn't compete, we could only compete if we could sign a good 5 or 6 Premiership quality players.

Jewell did make some good signings though, he bought Savage and Roy Carroll, at least they had top flight experience. Now he's bought ten new players including that one loan signing, and he's starting to put his own stamp on the team.

So the season ahead IS promising, but as a Derby fan, we don't get our hopes up.

Here's a flutter for those who like one.. A workmate has just got odds of 20-1 that Derby finish outside the top six in the Championship.

Yeah, the Rob Earnshaw signing totally baffled me at the time as well, he's not known for being a prolific scorer now is he? He'll grab that 1 goal after coming off the bench in the 89th minute to either tie the game or give you a sly win once every 5 games but that's about it. As for Giles Barnes, Newcastle are CONSTANTLY linked with him in the press every other month. He did look good, but I'm not sure, he looks like Jenas and Dyer rolled into one player, and we all know how those two turned out.

Re: Barnes

See if you can find (youtube?) his goal against Sunderland the season we both went up (they beat us 2-1 at their place) - It was probably one of the best goals ever by a Derby player.

Useless trivia for Earnshaw (who we sold to Forest of all people.. imagine selling your record signing to Sunderland) he's the only man to score a hattrick at League Two, League One, Championship, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup AND International level.

Actually true.

Premiership, West Brom vs Charlton, 19 March 2005

Division 1, Cardiff vs Gillingham, 19 September 2003

Division 2, Cardiff vs Q.P.R., 29 November 2002 and Tranmere March 14, 2003

Division 3, Cardiff vs Torquay United, 12 February 2000

FA Cup, Cardiff vs Bristol Rovers, 19 November 2000

League Cup, Cardiff vs Boston United, 11 September 2002, and Leyton Orient, August 12, 2003

International, Wales vs Scotland, 18 February 2004

In fact, here's the Barnes goal.

FF to the 52 second mark.

That's a nice goal like. You expecting Barnes to be with you start of the season, or gone? I remember the games against Newcastle he was a real driving force for your team, could carry the ball well, drive it forward on some darting runs, made good runs off the ball and could even pass. I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought they could groom him into a top level player - I really hope for his sake he doesn't come to Newcastle as we suck at grooming young players into potential stars (Tomasson, Dyer, Jenas, Milner, N'Zogbia)

(Bramble)

He'll be here next season, this season he has a better midfield around him, this new signing from Porto, Kris Commons, Savage, Feilhaber is still here too.. there's a good chance we've got the best midfield in the league. Rob Hulse, Nathan Ellington and Emanuel Villa up front, we'll be a very attacking force. Albrechtson arrived from West Brom too so he'll beef up our defence.

Come to think of it, and it feels wrong saying it.. Derby might do well this year.

I wouldn't pin too many hopes on Commons. He's very skillful but in 3 years in League One he never really delivered consistently for us. Perhaps the move will re-motivate him though.

I think Derby will probably do ok, likely better than Forest though it pains me to say. 20-1 on them not finishing in top 6 does seem very generous though, given that a lot of teams who go down from the Prem struggle in midtable.

Evening Chronicle - local rag here in Newcastle - claim that Newcastle United/Dennis Wise turned down Frings as he was too old for Newcastle new policy... what the fuck?! He's 31! Dennis Wise, worse Newcastle signing ever, worse the Gullit, worse then Salvio Maric, worse then Marcelino, worse then Luque...

When they have Alan Smith playing central midfield, I don't know why the fuck they wouldn't look to ditch him as soon as possible.

The Echo says we're about to sign David N'Gog for 1.5 million pounds. He's only 19, compared a lot to David Trezeguet, and played for PSG last season. Lots of song potential with that name. Apparently some German clubs are willing to pay 3 million pounds for Andrey Voronin. That floored me. He's shit!

N'Gog, I remember the name, but that's probably from Football Manager - he's a WONDERKID, that'll be a right signing if its true. As for Alan Smith, seriously, I wish I could... I'm more worried that Dennis Wise seems to have all the say over the coming and goings of our transfers.

We've won all our pre-season games so far, last season we were all getting sent off in Holland then coming home to be stuffed by Port Vale, who ended up being practically the worst team in the country last season. I'm still not optimistic till there's investment, but Sodje makes a huge difference and he got through 90 mins last nite, setting up 2 for Burton.

I'll warn you that Hulse doesn't seem to be half the player he was before he broke his foot, franchise. (coming from Blades fans)

Jose Antonio Reyes linked with Newcastle today, I'm not sure how or why, but he has been. Maybe he couldn't find it on a map or something.

Atletico Madrid ace Jose Antonio Reyes has refused to confirm that he has turned down a move to Newcastle in favour of a switch to Monaco.Reyes has been linked with a summer move away from Atletico despite only signing at Vicente Calderon from Arsenal last July.

Newcastle were believed to be lining up an offer for the 24-year-old, and reports emanating from Spain have suggested Reyes has rejected personal terms.

It is claimed he is now in advanced talks with Ligue 1 club Monaco after Atletico accepted a bid worth €7million (£5.5million).

Reyes said: "I am calm. My agent is dealing with the matter."

Ah that seems more like it, Monaco though?

Darren Huckerby a legend? Must have been on an alternative universe Huckerby. Norwich in the North-East? Holy shit, awesome! Think I'll make a youtube video of my 'skillz' and get signed to MLS!

Doncaster 1-0 Newcastle United

I'm really not liking the way this Season could turn out - I think Sunderland are going to finish above the Toon this year. That would be the first time in... well, as long as I can remember.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...;showentry=2938