TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

Guest The Hamburglar
Forlan is, well, crap.

A legend, but still crap. Not nearly as legendary as THOMAS REPKA though.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

No ManYoo talk in this thread! There's enough of them everywhere else!

Guest Anorak
Just got my Barcelona tickets, I guess I get to see a player Man Utd fans won't see in the flesh this season.

I'm going to that match as well.

Look out for the Indian guy cheering loudly for Barcelona in the away fans stand, that'll be me... :lol:

I've got a Barcelona shirt as well but i'm leaving it back at home :P. Do you know whether or not the away end will be quite full or will you stick out having a row or two to yourself.

Just heard that Ronaldinho scored a goal and set up another as Barcelona beat European champions AC Milan 2-0 in a friendly. I'm sure he's looking forward to coming to Leicester & the Walkers Stadium.

800 POSTS! :headbang:

Guest caboose
I've got a Barcelona shirt as well but i'm leaving it back at home :P. Do you know whether or not the away end will be quite full or will you stick out having a row or two to yourself.

Just heard that Ronaldinho scored a goal and set up another as Barcelona beat European champions AC Milan 2-0 in a friendly. I'm sure he's looking forward to coming to Leicester & the Walkers Stadium.

800 POSTS! :headbang:

I think the match is practiaclly a sell-out or at least as close as you can get for a friendly. I probably wont stand out unless I wear my hideously bright Green Shirt...

Ronaldinho is the reason I'm going, I want to see him rip Leicester to shreds. :lol:

Guest redbaron51

as stated earlier, with out two solid strikers, Chelsea is just going to be a middle team.

If anything Newcastle could be a strong team in the premiership

Guest caboose

Newcastle are my big time pick for Premiership glory as well.

Manchester United are going to miss Beckham more than Ferhgie thought and this new American Goalie may be another Massimo Taibi.

Arsenal are losing the plot fast, no new players. Viera is unsettled and Wenger may exit via Spain...

Chelsea's squad is too new. It needs to be settled before it'll fire on all cylinders. Ranieri better be leading the Premiership come Christmas else Abramovich will have his head.

Liverpool may have got Kewell, but a second QUALITY striker is needed to back up Owen. Barros and Heskey aren't those players.

That leaves Newcastle. They've got a settled squad. Robson is still a genius. While I despise Bowyer the person, a brilliant footballer he is. Woodgate will be settled in the defence and you know Shearer's got that one last killer season...

Guest Mystery Eskimo

Bumpy bump.

Three days till the start of the Nationwide~!

Anyone excited?

Leicester Vs. Barcelona Tonight!

I'll post a report on the match later.

I think we should all post short reports about live matches we go to...?

Guest The Hamburglar

I was in Amsterdam on holiday, so I decided to go see the Amsterdam tournament for a laugh. I saw both Sunday games. Liverpool - Galatasaray was one of the funniest matches I've ever seen. Liverpool are so horrifically crap and boring they become entertaining. Who here in this thread can fail to appreciate the sheer comedic genius of a central midfield pairing of Bruno Cheyrou and Igor Biscan, with Harry Kewell on the right for some unknown reason and looking every inch an overhyped flop? Ah, great moments such as Emile Heskey repeatedly passing the ball off the touchline and the final glory that was both Neil Mellor and Steven Gerrard being sent off minutes after coming on as subs. Galatasaray weren't any great shakes, but they were playing Liverpool so they won 2-1, with the second goal being a rather tasty free kick.

The second match was Ajax-Inter and on a technical level was superb, as well as having a great atmosphere owing to it being an Ajax home game. Ajax deservedly won 3-0, they're a wonderful side to watch. Their main man is Rafael Van der Vaart, a phenomenally talented withdrawn striker. Mark my words, he will be one of the world's best players in the years to come. They have other great players too though, such as Litmanen, Trabelsi, Pienaar and Van der Gun. They could be dark horses for the Champions League, as they seem to have a really cohesive squad.

Beat Caboose to it....

Leicester 0 Barcelona 1

Just over 32,000 saw a decent enough (friendly matches are weird to watch) game which was won by a classy goal from Saviola on the stroke of half time where deft footwork brought him the time to fire an unstoppable shot past Walker. Ronaldinho got booed a lot which was quite funny but he still showed flashes of brilliance spearheading most of Barca's first half attacks. For some reason Cocu was playing centre back and got himself sent off for cynically haking down Hignett when he was in the clear. A big scuffle kicked off and for a while it was anything but a 'friendly'. Mikey Adams wisely took Alan Rogers off before he got dismissed himself and the game calmed down again. Barcelona's passing and movement was predictably smooth and effortless but Leicester enjoyed decent spells as well and should probably have equalized second half with a couple of decent chances being missed. Puyol looked class but apparantly they don't want him to go to Man Utd as its been rumoured.

Most impressive for City were Gillespie and Nallis, I don't think the defence and midfield is particularly inferior to the other teams in the bottom half of the Premier pecking order but i'm just worried where the goals are going to come from. We don't look like a team who could recover often if we went a goal down.

I was in Amsterdam on holiday, so I decided to go see the Amsterdam tournament for a laugh.  I saw both Sunday games.  Liverpool - Galatasaray was one of the funniest matches I've ever seen.  Liverpool are so horrifically crap and boring they become entertaining.  Who here in this thread can fail to appreciate the sheer comedic genius of a central midfield pairing of Bruno Cheyrou and Igor Biscan, with Harry Kewell on the right for some unknown reason and looking every inch an overhyped flop?  Ah, great moments such as Emile Heskey repeatedly passing the ball off the touchline and the final glory that was both Neil Mellor and Steven Gerrard being sent off minutes after coming on as subs.  Galatasaray weren't any great shakes, but they were playing Liverpool so they won 2-1, with the second goal being a rather tasty free kick.

The second match was Ajax-Inter and on a technical level was superb, as well as having a great atmosphere owing to it being an Ajax home game.  Ajax deservedly won 3-0, they're a wonderful side to watch.  Their main man is Rafael Van der Vaart, a phenomenally talented withdrawn striker.  Mark my words, he will be one of the world's best players in the years to come.  They have other great players too though, such as Litmanen, Trabelsi, Pienaar and Van der Gun.  They could be dark horses for the Champions League, as they seem to have a really cohesive squad.

Not a Liverpool fan? :P

I've always had a big soft spot for them myself but I agree they've become almost unbearable to watch. As a neutral I enjoy watching the top teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle play but i'd honestly rather watch Leicester play than Liverpool. Funny how Biscan turned out to be a dud as loads of top European clubs were after him before he went to Anfield. Until Houllier goes Liverpool will struggle more and more to get into Champions League contention, the man couldn't even get a French squad including Cantona, Ginola, Papin and Desailly to a World Cup.

Ajax do indeed have an excellent crop of youngish players but they were very fortunate to reach to quarter finals of the Champions League last season playing a negative brand of football Houllier would be proud of. Koeman's tactics were an ugly contrast to the traditional Ajax style of attractive attacking football. Arsenal should have buries them at Highbury but their usual wayward finishing cost them dear but I admit I was cheering for the Dutch that night as their mid 90's team gave me a lifelong bias to them (BTW was it a family holiday you were on?). Van der Vaart is supposedly staying this season so far but it won't be too long before every top club in Europe will be bidding for his services, Alex Ferguson would have him next week if he could.

Edited by Anorak

Ipswich 1 Reading 1

What a flying start to the season for Ipswich, lucky to get a draw at home against ten men, oh well. This could be a long season.

Yeah that'll be Leicester who choked all over Southampton today, and probably Wolves who got whooped 5-1 by Blackburn. Take that you stupid Wolves!

Guest The Hamburglar

SUPER KEVIN PHILLIPS ALL HAIL BEATTIE THE KING

2-2's all right I suppose. Apparently Strachan started the match with the deranged combination of telfer and Dodd on the right sideand just Beattie up front. A defensive side against fucking Leicester? Madness it is. When Fernandes and Phillips came on proper order was restored. Now next week we can further highlight the patheticness of Spurs by crushing Birmingham like ants at home. The POMPEY SCUM actually didn't look like shite even without Todorov, I was very impressed with Berger. There will be sterner tests though because really, Villa are true shite. O'Leary's nothing without an already established youth system and a fat pile of cash.