TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KANE

311 - Evolver

Guest KANE

Any 311 fans on this board? If so, what do you think of "Evolver"? Personally, the last couple of albums were minor dissapointments, so I was a little scared of this one.

Fortunately, this is one of their best albums in a long time.

I think part of it is that the lyrics are much improved--one of 311's trademarks is that they sprinkle the songs with awful lines, but here I can honestly say they didn't make me cringe once.

Anyway, from presentation to performance, 311 has blown me away. What do you think?

Guest godthedog

hey, look, another 'revolver' rip-off title.

i can't wait till another band follows suit and releases 'dissolver'.

no, i didn't have anything constructive to add about 311, so i thought i'd make a cute comment.

Guest KANE

Yeah, a love for the Beatles album lead to that title--that and the fact that the band feels they've "evolved" as musicians.

I think anyone making even indirect Beatles comparisons to themselves open themselves to pot-shots from the critics.

Still, I think as a title and as an album, "Evolver" can prove it has its own legs.

Guest HHH123007

I think they mentioned on their website that naming the album Evolver had nothing to do with The Beatles album.

I like the album. I was luke-warm on it to begin with, but I listened to it 3 more times and love it now.

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

Ehh, I never was too keen on 311. They remind me of a hybrid of Sublime and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, two bands I enjoy a lot. Logic would dictate that I would like 311, but they're not particularly original.

Guest KANE
I like the album. I was luke-warm on it to begin with, but I listened to it 3 more times and love it now.

"Crack the Code," "Beyond the Gray Sky" and "Sometimes Jacks Rule the Realm" are jaw-droppingly pretty.

I'm glad 311 has expanded their sound somewhat. The reason the last album was an overall let down is that they tried to be too safe and rehashed the formula that made "Down" blow up.

This is one of my album of the year candidates.