TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bps "The Truth" 21

TNA shows vs. WWE ppvs

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I was thinking about the difference between ppvs in each company as we head into Vengeance. All I can think about is how little I liked Bad Blood.

So I figured out that for 5 dollars more than the money it cost for Bad Blood (the best matches on which were Goldberg vs. Jericho, HHH vs. Nash and HBK vs. Flair...just for reference) TNA was doing this:

AJ vs. D-Lo #1 contenders match

AJ wins the title in a 3 way from JJ and Raven

Chris Sabin vs. Paul London

Sting returned to the US

XXX vs. AMW (non cage)

Sabin vs Kazarian (the real good one)

and the Cage match between XXX and AMW

5 dollars.

I'm too lazy to check if any of the other months were that lopsided in match quality...but I get the feeling WWE probably didn't win that battle in February (No Way Out), April (Backlash) or May (Judgment Day) either.

That all being said...There are 3 matches at Vengeance that should be real good...and TNA didn't have a stellar month to say the least.

Guest Choken One

I still don't like the concept of sending money to Vince Russo...

Makes me feel DIRTY

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Maybe...but this is June we're talking about here.

I'd have to go find out what happened in May to answer that question.

I don know that Judgment Day was in May, and Judgment Day was TERRIBLE. I have to figure there was at least one good match in May for TNA...and therefore they win that month too.

TNA in Febuary

*Kid Kash vs Sonny Siaki

*Jerry Lynn vs Shark Boy vs Joel Maximo vs Jose Maximo vs Jimmy Rave vs Tony Mamaluke vs David Young vs Paul London

*Low Ki vs Steve Corino

*Kid Kash vs Paul London

*Jeff Jarrett vs AJ Styles

*Jerry Lynn vs Juventud Guerrera

TNA in April

*Kid Kash vs Jerry Lynn

*Perry Saturn vs Mike Barton

*Amazing Red and Jerry Lynn vs Christopher Daniels and Elix Skipper vs Chris Saban and Jony Storm vs Shark Boy and Jason Cross

*Amazing Red and Jerry Lynn vs Triple X

*Amazing Red vs Jerry Lynn

*Amazing Red vs Kid Kash

*Jeff Jarrett vs Raven

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I don't know about February (which seems to have been a week month for both)

But April absolutely SMOKED Backlash.

*Amazing Red and Jerry Lynn vs Christopher Daniels and Elix Skipper vs Chris Saban and Jony Storm vs Shark Boy and Jason Cross

*Amazing Red and Jerry Lynn vs Triple X

That right there was enough.

Guest Insane Bump Machine

But in June you also got this stuff for free in addition to the (horrible) PPV:

Chris Jericho & Christian v. Booker T & Goldberg (which I liked very much)

Ultimo Dragon's WWE debut

Chris Benoit v. Rhyno in the US Title tournament

Kurt's return

Kurt Angle v. Charlie Haas, Kurt's in-ring return after surgery

Brock Lesnar v. Big Show with the ring collapsing

Kane unmasking

Foley returns to US TV :P

Foley celebration in MSG

Rey Mysterio wins the Cruiserweight Title against Matt Hardy in a great TV main event

If you compare a whole month of stuff you could include the happenings on FREE WWE TV as well.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

That would defeat the purpose of comparing what the companies expect us to pay to watch.

I've seen too many people explain that 10 bucks a week is too much to spend and then pay basically the same for the WWE ppv.

I don't understand why everyone think's that TNA should be compared to the free TV shows, just so people can bitch about paying for it.

They have far more in common with ppv's since they are...get this...a ppv.

But they are very similar to free WWE TV shows in that you normally can't know in advance if a show will be good or not. You'd have to wait for the initial show reports and then buy the replay to make sure, but then you'd already know what happens in advance and it would ruin some of the experience.

When I need to decide wether or not I buy a WWE PPV I normally know in advance if it'll be worth it for me. I know that Vengeance will have a great US Title match, a good tag match and a good main event. In TNA I usually don't know what I'll get, with some exceptions like the cage match. Because even IF TNA announces potentially good matches beforehand they are far too often ruined by dumb run-ins and screwjob endings, which is my main gripe with TNA right now.

You also have to suffer through all the stupid things TNA does (most of the skits, boring brawls, russo interviews, shane douglas wrestling etc.), which you also pay for, to get to the good stuff. If I pay 10 bucks for a wrestling show I want to see constant decent-to-good action and, most important, at least one segment/match per show that makes me say 'I'm glad I spent my money on this'.

Guest bravesfan

$40 of TNA PPV's granted you EIGHT hours of NWA programming.

Six good-great matches (as bps mentioned), but's it hard to wade through the rest of the show, which would include the useless angles and segments (which would most likely be on WWE's free TV programming, with the exception of the "Redneck Triathlon" last month).

Guest TDinDC1112

Since when does WWE have "free programming?" Last time I checked, my cable bill was $55.

Guest Raven_Effect01
Chris Benoit v. Rhyno in the US Title tournament

That match sucked.

Guest eirejmcmahon

NWATNA hasn't put a good show on in a month now but, having said that, I still think everyone should give it at least one shot - ten bucks isn't going to break your bank and you might well like what you see.

Guest Retro Rob
Since when does WWE have "free programming?" Last time I checked, my cable bill was $55.

Are you saying you buy cable for the sole purpose of watching WWE? If you want to go by that logic you should count up all the hours you watch of TV and then divide it in to the price of your cable, excluding any extras that you have like the movie or sports channels. On top of that, even without cable you could watch SmackDown and the syndicated shows for free.

As for WWE vs. TNA, at least with WWE PPVs you get mostly wrestling. TNA has all those damn interviews, promos, and other bullshit segments. In reality, when you buy TNA you are pretty much paying for a combination of what you can watch on Raw (Russo Sportz Entertainment) and SmackDown (good matches) for free.

Guest TDinDC1112
Since when does WWE have "free programming?"  Last time I checked, my cable bill was $55.

Are you saying you buy cable for the sole purpose of watching WWE? If you want to go by that logic you should count up all the hours you watch of TV and then divide it in to the price of your cable, excluding any extras that you have like the movie or sports channels. On top of that, even without cable you could watch SmackDown and the syndicated shows for free.

As for WWE vs. TNA, at least with WWE PPVs you get mostly wrestling. TNA has all those damn interviews, promos, and other bullshit segments. In reality, when you buy TNA you are pretty much paying for a combination of what you can watch on Raw (Russo Sportz Entertainment) and SmackDown (good matches) for free.

No, I don't get cable primarily for wrestling, but it plays a role. I don't get the syndicated shows here, so if you take away cable, I would get 2 hours of smackdown a week and 1 hour of xplosion

You are contradicting yourself. One second you say that "TNA has all those damn interviews, promos, and other bullshit segments." Then, you say that it is a combo of Raw and Smackdown (good matches). So which is it? Interviews, promos, and Bullshit, or good matches?

And.........the last 2 WWE ppv's have had a TON of non-wrestling stuff. Badd Blood had way less than 2 hours of wrestling on it.

Guest Retro Rob
You are contradicting yourself.  One second you say that "TNA has all those damn interviews, promos, and other bullshit segments."  Then, you say that it is a combo of Raw and Smackdown (good matches).  So which is it?  Interviews, promos, and Bullshit, or good matches? 

If I'm going to watch all of those interviews, promos, and bullshit segments I would rather watch them for free on Raw than pay for them on TNA. As for the good matches, TNA has them, but so does SD and SD is free. TNA doesn't really have anything that WWE does not.

And.........the last 2 WWE ppv's have had a TON of non-wrestling stuff.  Badd Blood had way less than 2 hours of wrestling on it.

As far as I'm concerned, I didn't pay for either of those shows. I was supposed to pay for Bad Blood, but I kicked my friend's ass in poker so he paid in full. Judgment Day I skipped altogether. Either way, as bad as those two shows were (I sorta liked Bad Blood, but nevertheless), the TV leading up to them was probably on par with what TNA was offering on PPV.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

The fact that I'm guaranteed a pretty damn good match each week on TNA in the main-event, regardless of interference, and I'm not with Raw, and barely am with SmackDown (although lately they HAVE had awesome main events), I think I'll go with TNA.

Besides, TNA has Raven and AJ Styles. WWE doesn't. TNA has more than just "punch-kick-interference" in every match. WWE doesn't.

Guest Retro Rob
TNA has more than just "punch-kick-interference" in every match. WWE doesn't.

Not even counting the last two SD main events we have had Hardy-Benoit and Hardy/Moore-Rey/Kidman, both of which were much more than "Punch-kick-interference" and were very good matches to boot.

Guest bob_barron
TNA has more than just "punch-kick-interference" in every match.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH. What do you call every TNA title match then Corey??

TNA's booking is just do ridicilously stupid that it makes it harder to enjoy the matches.

TNA has Raven and AJ Styles.

Raven sucks. I'd rather see AJ work in Ring of Honor where he is used correctly and is booked to look strong

Barron lets nevermind Style's push earlier in the year why dont we. Besides, thats thinking positive and thinking positive is against the rules right?

What do you call the X Division matches Bob? Punch, kick, punch? What do you call the 2/3 falls AJ Styles/D'Lo Match? Punch, kick, punch?

Guest bob_barron

I was talking more about the main events.

And Styles isn't being pushed that strongly. Unless you count winning every match with 2-3 people a "push"

Retro Rob already countered the punch kick stuff by noting two really good SD! matches that aired for free.

The 2/3 falls match was punch, kick, interference. Except in the third fall when D-Lo did some sick bumps

Guest Retro Rob
Barron lets nevermind Style's push earlier in the year why dont we. Besides, thats thinking positive and thinking positive is against the rules right?

Why would you "nevermind" any part of his push? It happened within TNA did it not? It has nothing to do with being positive or negative, it's just a fact. For that matter lets also "nevermind" every episode of Raw because then we can be more positive as well.

Guest PowerPB13
I still don't like the concept of sending money to Vince Russo...

Makes me feel DIRTY

At this point, better Russo than Triple H.

bps makes a good point about the price...I get much better value out of getting NWA-TNA every week than getting a WWE pay-per-view once a month. Just my opinion, of course.

The thing about there being no alternative is simple: If everyone's in one fed, they can't push everyone at once so, as we saw, some very talented people got(and still get) the shaft. With an alternative, different people get a chance to shine under a separate banner.

-Patrick

Memo to NWA-TNA: Let Matt fly!

gcwtourney19.jpg

Guest Slapnuts00

I have the ultimate factor of why TNA PPVs are a better deal than WWE's.....FREE GOODIES!

Remember the good old days when you could send in your cable bill to the WWF and get an undertaker tote bag or steve austin door hanger? Then they got rid of them! Well TNA has brought that tradition back! Already those who have ordered 5 are entitled to a poster! Once you reach 10 you get a t-shirt! Down the line, autographs and personal phone calls await you! Beat THAT WWE! :P

Guest BionicRedneck

Well, the upcoming WWE PPV has Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. In comparison to that, TNA has NOTHING.

Guest PowerPB13
Well, the upcoming WWE PPV has Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. In comparison to that, TNA has NOTHING.

If they get a ton of time.

And if this leads to something vaguely resembling a main-event push for one or both.

And given the current state of WWE...not friggin' likely.

-Patrick, who figures Stephanie vs. Sable and Gowen vs. Vince will get as much if not more time than Benoit vs. Guerrero.