TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimmy no nose

Any Ween fans?

Guest jimmy no nose

I dont know if we have any other Ween fans in here, but I have to say the new album quebec is awesome. Classic Ween here. Might even be as good as Chocolate and Cheese. It officially comes out today so you should be able to find it in record stores, I got mine in the mail yesterday. The tracklisting is:

It's Gonna Be a Long Night

Among His Tribe

Ooh Va la

Tried and True

So Many People in the Neighborhood

Captain

Fancy Pants

Happy Colored Marbles

Chocolate Town

Transdermal Celebration

I Don't Want It

The Fucked Jam

Zoloft

The Argus

If You Could Save Yourself

Alcan Road

Every track on the album is good, my favories thus far are Captain, Chocolate Town, The Fucked Jam, and If You Could Save Yourself. Anyone who's even a small Ween fan should definitely pick this up, I'd recommend it to everyone.

Guest JangoFett4Hire

Chocolate and Cheese is one of my all time favorites. I'll keep an eye out for this.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've actually been meaning to get some of their stuff. Which is better to check out first, ya think, Chocolate and Cheese, or The Pod?

Guest Incandenza

Depends on what blows your skirt, Agent. Too much of their early stuff (like The Pod) is very novelty, while the later period--starting with Chocolate and Cheese--is more song-oriented.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
The Pod is tough. It's quite long, and a lot of the jokes/joke tracks aren't very funny. It is, sadly, all the Ween I've heard, so aside from "I wouldn't start there unless you can stand a lot of filler," that's all I've got to offer. Do download "Dr. Rock," though. Mmm mm crunchy.

Guest jimmy no nose

For the guy who said he's just beginning I'd probably get Chocolate and Cheese. God Ween Satan and The Pod are pretty good, but if you want the best of their musical talent you'd go with something after those. Chocolate and Cheese is my favorite, followed closely by The Mollusk, 12 Golden Country Greats, and White Pepper. Pure Guava is right after that. I havent had quebec long enough to decide about it, but it sounds good so far. Once you know some of the songs get Paintin' the Town Brown Ween Live 90-98, their live songs are all awesome. Songs I dont like off the albums sound great live. I saw them last Friday on the first show of their new tour in Pittsburgh, it was one of the best concerts I've been to. A funny thing was upstairs in the same club was the punk band Leftover Crack and outside one of their fans says "Who are these Ween people?" and the another guy says "Some band they always made fun of on Beavis and Butthead"

Guest Incandenza
The Pod is tough. It's quite long, and a lot of the jokes/joke tracks aren't very funny. It is, sadly, all the Ween I've heard, so aside from "I wouldn't start there unless you can stand a lot of filler," that's all I've got to offer. Do download "Dr. Rock," though. Mmm mm crunchy.

You really should check out Chocolate and Cheese or, my personal favorite, The Mollusk.

Guest godthedog

ween is my favorite band that hasn't died or broken up, & their album got delayed so much i forgot they were even supposed to be releasing one. a friend of mine IMed me today and said "did you get the new ween cd today?" and i said "there's a new ween cd?"

and i'll toss in my evaluation of the ween studio catalog:

godweensatan--great, great album that never gets boring despite being over an hour of basically throwaway joke tracks (aside from "birthday boy," which is as good as almost any ballad paul mccartney ever wrote). the whole thing is a riot, especially their prince knock-off. definitely an acquired taste though, as the general sound is low-fi, in-your-face and all over the map.

the pod--my favorite ween album, one of my favorite albums ever, but even more of an acquired taste than godweensatan. the overall sound is incredibly fucked up & even less crisp, and i can only imagine how much drugs they were on. i find the joke tracks hysterical ("pollo asado" was the official song of my 3rd year spanish class), and they manage to tie up all the weird shit with great melodies & overall songwriting. the combination of the two is just surreal and it fucks with your head. kind of like 'white light/white heat', but less noisy & more flat-out weird. this is the last ween record to get.

pure guava--kinda nudged between their "fucked up low-fi sound" phase and their "slick poppy sound" phase. except the fucked up stuff isn't as fucked up as their earlier stuff, and the pop stuff doesn't go down as well as their later stuff. i had it for a while, but sold it & i don't miss it.

chocolate & cheese--overrated all to hell cause it's their most accessible album, but still damn good. and the slickness makes it creepy in a whole new way (like "spinal meningitis"). really catchy stuff, & the best record to pop the ween cherry, but a bit too much fluff for my taste.

12 golden country greats--forgettable, pretty much sucks.

the mollusk--AWESOME record that has this great balance of catchiness, goofiness & sincere stuff. i consider this the record that 'chocolate & cheese' tried to be.

white pepper--a little too poppy, & a little too sincere. nothing really memorable.

songs to download: "l.m.l.y.p," "baby bitch," "birthday boy," "you fucked up."

Guest Anorak
"Some band they always made fun of on Beavis and Butthead"

I think I remember that episode, a song with lyrics like 'push the little daisy' or something sang badly out of tune. Butthead changed the channel quickly I recall.

Guest R2DFooster McSockman

I've just listened through for the first time, and it's pretty good. Certainly better than White Pepper and 12 Golden Country Greats (although Country Greats will always have a place in my heart for introducing the term "poopy poker" into my vocabulary).