TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Snappy Nappy Dugout

The Source's top 151 Greatest

Guest Dangerous A

Fuck Ja Rule. None of his songs should be on this list, even at number 147.

I don't have that many problems with the list. I think Em should've been a little higher, but like CJ said, he hasn't revolutionized rap or anything.

And Juvenile #47 for Ha? That's the worse crime I see on the list. Juvenile is whack as fuck and has done nothing but made rap worse with his seriously indecipherable style. Fuck him too.

Guest Ripper

For better or worse...probably worse...That song put Cash Money on the map. They became a power house inthe industry. Much like Bout It Bout It will never be a GREAT song, it did change the hip-hop scene.

Plus there are whoreds of southern rappers trying to sound like him now, he was obviously a big influence.

Guest Dangerous A

Unfortunately that influence makes up and comers suck. However, I like Cash Money way better than No Limit. It's just that Ha shouldn't be #47, IMHO. I could see it on the list somewhere, but 47 is too much love.

Guest Ripper
Unfortunately that influence makes up and comers suck. However, I like Cash Money way better than No Limit. It's just that Ha shouldn't be #47, IMHO. I could see it on the list somewhere, but 47 is too much love.

No Limit did give me Mia X, Mystical's good albums and Fiend...so they get some love from me.

Guest Snappy Nappy Dugout

No, I Didn't post the list just to bitch about Eminem Placement.Matter of fact, I like the list, I Like Every song on the list. Hell, "The Message" Was the first record I brought at the age of 7. That's when I became a rap fan. I'm also happy that benzino made the list.

I just think it's funny that the initial poster posted this list *just* to bitch about Eminem's placement. What, were you expecting him to be at #1 just because most non-rap fans happen to like him and everything he does?

Uh No, But I think the motherfucker deserves to be higher. Not #1, Not #10, but atleast around the top 80 or 60.

I think you guys are too young and something doesn't have to be current to be great.

Huh, I'm 27. I've been a fan of Hip-Hop ever since the beginning.

Eminem is not a rap God

Never said he was

He could've been placed higher, I agree, but to whine about where he's at when you look at all

Stop There, Whineing I'm not, I'm just thinking the Source are bias because Em broke the award the Source gave him a few years ago.

And after looking at the list, Yeah he could've been place higher, but you're telling that "Country Grammer" is better then "Stan".

Bullshit.

And what has Em Done. Well, Rip Already said it.

I like Em, But I wouldn't put Em # 1 in my list of "THE BEST RAPPER EVER" List. Nobody would put Em as number one on their BEST RAPPER EVER list(Except the people At MTV, SPIN, VIBE, And Rolling Stone). I guess I'd end my post like this.

Edited by Snappy Nappy Dugout

Guest TheArchiteck
Eminem is [....]the BEST Detroit rapper...

Well....personally I like Slum Village (Elzhi) a lot more.

Well...I'm only 24 but I was listening to hip hop when I was the cells that would one day form a sperm cell...SO HA!!!

5. Fight The Power- Public Enemy

This is the only Public Enemy song on here. No "Bring the Noise" or "Rebel Without a Pause"?

What about "Shut 'Em Down", "Can't Truss It", "Public Enemy #1", "Don't Believe The Hype", "By The Time I Get To Arizona", or "Give It Up"?

The list would be perfect except it has Ja Rule and 50 Suck on the list. Otherwise, it's fine.

I will not admit to being the biggest rap fan ever. And I will admit to not knowing everything about it....but I always thought "My Name is" was better suited for this list because it not only made Eminem, but it put rap on TRL, remade Dre's career, and helped spring the career of 5 other rappers. Eminem may not be the best rapper ever(far from it), but one of the biggest. So that alone should put more than one of his hits on this list. And put one in the top 50.

As for the lack of Public Emeny...well, to add to this list means taking off alot of good songs. And its always hard to make a list of this type. Because it always going to be "what abouts".

But he went, what, almost 10 years between them? Slim Shady was out before Chronic 2001, and it's what put Dr. Dre back in the spotlight. He sort of fell off visibility-wise after working with Snoop and Tupac, pretty much just releasing a single every year or two as far as I can remember. The album between the Chronics, Aftermath--which was really just a collection of mediocre rappers over Dre beats--kinda blew. I think his involvement with Eminem brought Dr. Dre back up from "guy who made an awesome rap album" to "guys who *makes* awesome rap albums."

Also, I wouldn't really consider 2001 a classic. The first half is great, but it's murderous (and not in a good way) thereafter. With the exception of "What's The Difference," nothing on that disc is even close to the singles. Too much frickin' Hitman, or whatever his name was.

As far as the list itself goes: seems mostly good. I have some problems with its inconsistencies (you can throw on Ja Rule for influence's sake, but you can't include more Public Enemy?), but it's mostly good stuff.

But Eminem or no, Chronic 2001 would have sold through the roof, because hip hop heads were waiting for it. Dre was still dre. With Eminem or not.

Guest Ray

Straight Outta Compton - NWA is much too low.

I think it should be in the top ten (it's better than **** Tha Police).

::reads over list again::

I'm surprised Benzino didn't put himself on this list...

As for Run-DMC, I marked for Kings of Rock at 30. I had hoped that more of their content made the list, but I realize that the intended genre of their later stylings were more of the hip-hop variety.

Hmmm, way too old school.

You're saying that like it's a bad thing? :)

I normally don't pay attention to these goofy Top XXX of XXXXXX lists, but this is one of the better ones I've seen around.

Some songs that I just pumped my fist in the air and said "YES!" when I saw them on this list:

Mind Playin' Tricks On Me, T.R.O.Y. (I still get a shiver whenever I hear it), Slow Down, Scenario, It Was A Good Day, Headbanger, Ain't No Future.

Was there some things on the list that I said "eww, I don't think so?" Sure. But this list puts any of Vh1's or MTV's to shame...

Guest Choken One

I doubt it since Ja Rule and Nelly made it on here...Likely...Sales...Impact also factored in...

Guest Redhawk

I hate how these lists are titled the "Greatest Rap Songs" or something like that, because all they list are singles (i.e., songs that had videos), while most of an artists' best songs are ones that they didn't release as singles and were just on their album.

You look at a list like this and think, "If they keep saying Biggie is the best rapper ever, why does he only have one or two songs on here?" (I actually think BIG only has one song on this list.) The thing is, to me at least, Biggie's best songs were non-singles: "You're Nobody Til Somebody Kills You," "Long Kiss Goodnight," "I Got A Story to Tell," and some others. And that's just one example. 2Pac, Big Pun, Eminem, OutKast....almost everyone's best work isn't on this list.