TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ingram Paladin

Essential Albums

Radiohead - Kid A

Too much blip-bloop hatred! I'm not sure if I'd call it essential, but I think it might be my 2nd favorite album of theirs. Lyrically a lot of it's hogwash free-association, but musically it evokes wonderful mood and feeling. Every time I go back to it works. It's also structured really well, building tension up to "Idiotheque" and then sort of swimming about in the aftermath.

but this is supposed to be a thread of essential albums: 'velvet underground and nico', 'doolittle', 'revolver'...albums that you are not supposed to be able to live without. even if you think it's good, there's no way in hell this should be essential. maybe it belongs on a list like "good radiohead albums." if you like it, fine--i don't agree with it, but i can understand. but to put it in the same league with the ones i mentioned just has no basis in reality at all.

Guest MissMattitude
Offspring: Smash, Americana

'Americana' being the worst Offspring album, I would put all of their other ones above that.

Faith No More - Angel Dust

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia/Welcome To The Monkey House

Maic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorist/The Holy Bible

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the fucking Eagles?

ever notice how "take it to the limit" takes it easy, and "take it easy" takes it to the limit?

the eagles surely are geniuses.

The best thing Joe Walsh ever did was "In the City," the theme song from Walter Hill's ungodly great n' cheesy movie about New York gangs, The Warriors. It might just be because I associate it with the mighty Baseball Furies gang, but I'll take that song over "Peaceful Easy Feeling" any time.

but to put it in the same league with the ones i mentioned just has no basis in reality at all.

In YOUR reality or that of a thousand and one 'individual' rock critic drones maybe but obviously not in that persons opinion. I'd rather this thread feature the diverse range of stuff its so far thrown up than be reduced to one of those identikit style 100 greatest albums' of all time' things where I have to read why 'Pet Sounds', 'Blonde On Blonde' and 'What's Going On' are so great for the 1000th time. Go and make your own lists with WrestlingDeacon or something if you find other people's tastes so inferior or at least stop whining about it like a liitle bitch.

Radiohead - Kid A

Too much blip-bloop hatred! I'm not sure if I'd call it essential, but I think it might be my 2nd favorite album of theirs. Lyrically a lot of it's hogwash free-association, but musically it evokes wonderful mood and feeling. Every time I go back to it works. It's also structured really well, building tension up to "Idiotheque" and then sort of swimming about in the aftermath.

The problem I have with Kid A is that it's way too derivitive, more than any other of theirs since Pablo Honey. While The Bends and OK Computer were both great, individual albums, Kid A just sounded like a Warp side-project. Plus, almost all the songs off the album sound better live. I'd probably argue for I Might Be Wrong being a better album...

Guest two_tuff_toddy

Here's my 2 cents worth.

BEATLES - Sgt. Pepper/Abby Road/Whit Album/Magical Mystery Tour/Rubber Soul

THE DOORS - The Doors/Waiting For The Sun/Morrison Hotel

TOOL - Opiate/Undertow/Lateralus

NIRVANA - Bleach/Unplugged In New York

BLACK SABBATH - Black Sabbath/Paranoid

BAD RELIGION - The Process Of Belief/Generator/Against The Grain/Stranger Than Fiction

OZZY OSBOURNE - Blizzard Of Ozz

RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS - Blood Sugar Sex Magik/Mother's Milk/Californication

TALKING HEADS - Speaking In Tongues/Little Creatures/Naked

PRIMUS - Frizzle Fry/Sailing The Seas Of Cheese/The Brown Album/Tales From The Punchbowl

METALLICA - Master Of Puppets/And Justice For All

GNR - Appetite For Destruction

DEAD KENNEDYS - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

RANCID - And Out Come The Wolves

BOB DYLAN - The Free Wheelin' Bob Dylan/Greatest Hits

ALICE IN CHAINS - Dirt

SLAYER - Hell Awaits/Diabolus In Musica/God Hates Us All

RUSH - Moving Pictures/2112/Chronicles

VAN HALEN - 1984

JOURNEY - Greatest Hits

MICHAEL JACKSON - Thriller/History

DIO - Holy Diver

PINK FLOYD - Dark Side Of The Moon

P.U.S.A. - P.U.S.A.

BLIND MELON - Blind Melon

That's it for now I guess.

two tuff skyrockets up my personal top 10 with Holy Diver. As does Hellspawn with Queen: Night at the Opera.

Jimmy Buffett-Changes in Latitudes

Green Day-Dookie

Flogging Molly-Drunken Lullabies

Reel Big Fish-Cheer Up

Dr. Dre-The Chronic 2001/The Chronic

NWA-Straight Outta Compton

DMX-Flesh of my Flesh, Blood of my Blood

2Pac-Greatest Hits

Just some off the top of my head...

Curtis Mayfield's soundtrack to Superfly should be added, as well. I've always considered it highly essential.

I agree. Snoop Dogg once called it the black Sgt. Peppers. I don't know about that (not being black, I guess I wouldn't), but it is an excellent and definately essential album.

BAD RELIGION - The Process Of Belief/Generator/Against The Grain/Stranger Than Fiction

'No Control' would be my favorite Bad Religion album with 'Suffer' a close second, I still haven't got round to hearing 'Process Of Belief' yet.

Guest MissMattitude
Air: Moon Safari

Man, i love that album aswell. Air are just... amazing.

Oh and Clash on Broadway is essential.

You would argue this over London Calling?

Can't BOTH be essential?

I'd consider an "essential" album to be something of a landmark. London Calling is certainly a landmark album; nothing else the Clash did--regardless of quality--is a milestone.

Sometimes it doesn't have to be your favorite album by a particular band. What's generally considered the essential VU album is the first one, and, while I like it a great deal, I prefer White Light/White Heat and the self-titled third record. Still, I wouldn't deny The Velvet Underground & Nico its place in the sun.

Oh, I haven't noticed it in this thread (and if it has been mentioned, I apologize), but Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is The Jazz Album to Start With.

Oh and Clash on Broadway is essential.

You would argue this over London Calling?

Can't BOTH be essential?

I'd consider an "essential" album to be something of a landmark. London Calling is certainly a landmark album; nothing else the Clash did--regardless of quality--is a milestone.

Sometimes it doesn't have to be your favorite album by a particular band. What's generally considered the essential VU album is the first one, and, while I like it a great deal, I prefer White Light/White Heat and the self-titled third record. Still, I wouldn't deny The Velvet Underground & Nico its place in the sun.

Agreed. I don't think any band, with the possible exception of The Beatles, has released more than one "essential" album.

Rolling Stones have released what I consider two essentials, Let it Bleed and Exile on Main Street. Michael Jackson and Prince, I believe have also released two essential albums each.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Sabbath was better in the 70's, but Floyd was close. I'd definitely consider both Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon to be essential purchases.

I'd consider Dark Side of the Moon and Meddle to be essentials and some Pink Floyd marks can debate that The Wall is an essential purchase. However I think the Wall is pretentious crap,