TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

TSM Forums Crash 2003

As most of you know, last night....something went horribly wrong in the forums. While it appears that MANY well known posters were banned (over 2500), let me assure you that that is NOT the case and everything is fine now....sort of.

The bottom line is that I am an idiot. This wasn't caused by a troll looking for revenge or someone who hacked us. This was caused by human error.

Mine.

Basically, last night, I meant to prune all of the users that had zero posts and/or haven't posted in over a year in order to curb possible troll aliases, since we've been bombarded with them lately. SOMEHOW, I swear that I don't know...the interval was incorrect and it deleted practically everyone with a few exceptions. Even the mods themselves were deleted.

You should have seen my face last night.

Basically, I've been up since this happened with a 2 hour nap, working with the admin and the support staff to try and fix things. I even skipped work today to try and fix the board.

Last night, things were very bleek. Basically, we only had two options. It was either try and restore all of the user names, which thankfully, we were able to...or restore the board using the latest back up which was in JUNE.

Needless to say, I've learned a few lessons here. We're going to do back ups more often and I'm going to try and not fuck things up again.

Ok...

With that being said, the board looks to be in terrible shape. Even though many of your names look like they've been deleted and your old posts read as "unregistered", you are not. Everyone should be able to log in. Searching old posts will probably be difficult though.

As for the post counts, the names were restored from the June back up, so you should have your post counts from June. Hey, it's better than having none of the posts from June.

For the record, some of the people that we've banned since June will still be able to log in, so we're going to have to work on eliminating them again. There will be ONE person, however, who was banned who will be able to return.

Last night, while I was freaking out and Mike The Admin was away, a certain someone helped me last night with the research on how to bring the forums back without killing 3 months worth of posts and also kept me from becoming more of a wreck than I was last night. I owe him a debt of gratitude and the only thing that he wanted in return was to come back to TSM...so I'm making ONE exception.

That person is Banky.

Anyway, I will be doing a LOT of work in the next few days to try and get things to the way they were. Most things should be up and running and if not, please let me know IN THIS THREAD. I was bombarded by IM's last night and couldn't concentrate.

Eventually, when everyone starts posting again and we have a bunch of new topics, we won't even see a difference.

Dames

For your punnishment...

...NO SOUP FOR YOU~!

Good job on getting things back up so quickly, thank you. Accidents will happen, no no worries.

OMG DAMES H4X0RED THE BOARD~!!!!111!!!!1

BAN PLZ~!!!1111!!!!1!!

Ironically enough...I did!

After my huge blunder, there were only 775 registered people left.

Dames

Guest Dynamite Kido

no sweat Dames.....keep up the good work

::not sucking up::

Guest Dmann2000

Yeah man, good job on restoring the board, you work too hard sometimes Dames.

No worries, Dames. I get to relive the thrill of seeing post #666 next to my name this way. And it's not like I had so many posts that I'm going to have to cry myself to sleep about losing any of them.

Banky, welcome back. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes ...

I think a few of us gave fucking Prince Paul too much credit last night.

From now on, when something fucks up, we know who to blame. ;)

Guest El Satanico
We need a scapegoat for this, Dames can't take the fall.

I blame flyboy

Guest The Old Me
The fact that Choken One lost 6,000 posts makes this all worth it

HA!

Anyhow, I only came on the board last night around midnight, maybe later. I immediately saw that the troll was back, and i was apalled at how many of you replied to his posts. I was sure that the troll hacked the site, as the last things I saw was someone asking for his IP. I figured this triggered the crash. I was wrong, but you might want to PM things like that from now on, as it could send someone over the edge and make them want to hack the site.

Guest Showstoppa Icon
We need a scapegoat for this, Dames can't take the fall.

My post count fell about 1,200

Prince Paul

that's the first thing i thaught when i saw the board down actually

damn, lost like 1000 posts