TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
notJames

JR's back 11 Aug because Coach Sucks

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
He doesn't HATE Storm BTW, he's furthuring the "boring" angle. He makes fun of him. Plus, Storm just turned face anyway.

Oh and he LOVES Nowinski. (When Nowinski was on RAW. Damn you Molly Holly)

Not Molly's fault she didn't know where that angle was going ahead of time.

Storm was a heel, so he should have supported him, rather than ripping him apart. That angle was pointless and they're trying to rescue it with Goldust.

And being so attached to JR isn't heel-like. Changing his mind a week later is even worse because it's inconsistent.

Bottom line--he's a face announcer who acts like a heel announcer sometimes. He's inconsistent, and is pathetically a JR kiss-ass. JR sucks too for kissing the ass of Evolution when he should be ripping into them for being jackasses.

Ah but a heel can have some tweener attributes. King and JR's friendship is well dcumented and it's a believeable piece of character work. It doesn't mean he's not a heel.

Oh and this angle which you are so quick to dismiss is the first real attempt to something new and different with Storm in AGES. Moving foward angles is on the primary jobs of a wrestling announcer.

Face it, King is a heel announcer unless you're blonde and have tits.

Coach sucks, however it has been a little pleasent not hearing wrestlers Damned to hell every week for pretty "everyday" actions(everyday in the wrestling world that is).

Guest Korrosive

I always liked Scott Hudson as an announcer personally. Not sure if that opinion is very smark friendly, but whatever. Lee Marshall had a good voice but I just can't see either of them working for wwe.

Guest RollingSambos

I hate the following: Cole, Coach, Kevin Kelly, Cat, King, Tazz, Joey Styles, Scott "Roboto" Hudson, Michael Hayes, and Mark whatever (the latest WWE announcer dork).

I like: Heyman, Schiavone, J.R., Jim Cornette, Vince McMahon, and Shane-O-Mac.

Complaint #1 -

Coachman lacks the "energy" to be the PBP guy. His emotions don't seem to alter when something surprising occurs (Shane's reappearance, Kane's destruction of the entire RAW roster, etc.) His voice rarely raises above the usual "Coach"- voice. On that note, when he reprimands a heel for his gruesome actions, I REALLY don't feel the need to support Coachman (something that JR does extremely well). It's simply "Oh...well Coach hates him - that sucks, I guess."

Then again, he's been horrible at providing color commentary too, so I think it's safe to say...WE NEED JR BACK.

Guest Choken One

No we don't.

Why can't Bischoff just go

"Hey, Coach your fired"?

Austin didn't seem to care much for him either...

but change it up and have Austin go

"I agree Eric...Coach Your fired...Eric...Your Hired"

Eric: What?

Austin: I said...You are hired. You are the new Announcer for Raw.

Guest JMA

Lawler isn't against La Resistance (unless there is a face doing commentary). He's often backed them and the French up (using logic). He even said that La Res were unhappy with JR's comments about them, and that they sent him (King) a basket of croissants. Lawler is what is known as a true tweener.

I don't see why Coach is so bad. Sure, he's bland..but he beats Ross in every category. Ross is easily the worst announcer in the WWE. Why? His announcing has sucked for years, and he's the guy responsible for the pushes (and hours of on-air blowjobs) of people like Albert. His hoss-centric ass is partially the reason no small guy is ever going to get a chance with that company.

Don't even get me started on his other position. Having a Head of Talent Relations who dosen't know what talent IS dosen't help any.

I'll never get over Coach calling Bill as "GOLDBORG" at Backlash.

Anyway, Al Snow is a better commentator than Coach.

I didn't think Scott Hudson was bad and he was certainly 100 times better than Schiavone.

Michael Hayes played a great heel commentator when he was Dok Hendrix.

Guest wildpegasus

My $.02 ON announcing:

Good Qualities of Ross:Usually pretty excited at the beginning of the show and the end of the show.

Bad Qualities of Ross:He's byist somewhat and therefore contributes to the glass cieling in the WWE. When he's commentating any match that's not in the main event he'll often use his "super boredom" voice. This "can turn" a match from good to poor in a heartbeat. It also tells the fans, "these midcard guys aren't worth your time. They're not worth getting excited about." This has to at least somewhat affect the pops the WWE roster gets over time and is why Vince as an announcer despite not knowing a wrestling move is better than Ross. He would actually get excited for a mid card match like Johnny B. Badd vs HHH while Ross would "try" to bring it down by not caring about it.

Lawler:No good. He has no passion for announcing

Heyman:Good announcer. I've actually seen him bring Ross out of his super boredom voice before somewhat while commentating which is something Lawler doesn't do.

Cole:He's good because he remains excited for anyone in the show and is improving.

Tazz:Pretty good as he seems to be the only one in the WWE who can actually call moves.

If Raw actually had good wrestling, I'd just use that wonderful mute button.

Smackdown has Cole and Tazz. Cole acts as the company shill and face announcer. He can't call moves and tries to borrow JR's catchphrases. He sucks as a play by play guy because he just rambles on. Admittedly though, he usually rambles on about the angle if the match going on has one, or an angle that a participant or team is in. Tazz doesn't really act as a heel announcer, he kind of does sometimes, but he seems more neutral and face-ish to me. He explains psychology in matches and gives useful insight into the matches. Thus, they are the better team, although Cole could easily be replaced by a good play-by-play guy and then Tazz could add some quips in with his usually match-related commentary.

JR runs through his catchphrases, sometimes calling the match and sometimes not. He oversells angles though, shows favoritism and generally gets annoying. King is mostly rambling, making perverse comments, and occasionally coming up with decent quips.

However--SD has the wrestling to back that up. Raw doesn't really have that. You can turn off SD's sound and still have a good show. However, since Raw is so...well, not based on wrestling, it's less entertaining--or unintentionally hilarious--when the company shills are in the booth.

However, JR annoys the hell out of me, and I'd rather have Vince back in the booth than to hear his bullshit anymore.

SD has shown us that while in the past the best teams have been face-PBP guy acting as a straight man vs. heel color commentor who supports the heels unconditionally (even making excuses or accusing faces of doing things), that doesn't mean it is the only combination that works well.

Guest Coffey

*ignores all replies*

The Coach isn't the problem. Jim Ross isn't the problem. The problem lies in Jerry Lawler's color commentary. He is the reason the announce team is always bad.

Isn't "the Body" supposed to be coming back? I would say that he is the best color man I've ever heard, with "the Brain" coming in second.

Then again, Coach & Ross do both suck. I don't think that Tony Schiavone or Joey Styles is the answer though. Styles is as cliche as Ross, except he knows the name of moves. Schiavone is...well, he's ok at best. Not every main event is the greatest match of all time.

I don't know who the WWE could get for play by play. I'd like either Ventura or Heyman on color though.

"I don't know who the WWE could get for play by play. I'd like either Ventura or Heyman on color though."

Well, as Kevin Dunn decreed, whoever it shall be must be a "handsome young male."

God no, I will take JR over Vince. Vince was good back in the 80s, that was it. End of story. Schiavone could probably do a good job if he wasn't plugged into Raw right away. Give him a few stints on Heat, first.

Unless they overpay him, Styles is not going to even TOUCH the E.

Jesse is too old at this point. Back when he was close to being retired as an active wrestler, he made an AWESOME heel color man. But all that time in politcs has taken a toll. Sure he can be a good speaker because of his time as Da Guv, that doesn't mean he's right to reassume his gimmick of "The Body".

With my shift change in the latter half of the week, I was actually able to see Smackdown for the first time in 8 months. Cole has improved quite a bit over that stretch, and Tazz is better as a tweener rather than either a face or heel color man.