TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest El Satanico

The ONE and ONLY fantasy football thread

Guest El Satanico

I just drafted today and realized there was no place to discuss such things yet. This is for everything concerning fantasy football. However, this is not for the TSM members leagues since those leagues will have their own threads.

My draft today got me the following team:

QB: Kurt Warner, Tommy Maddox, Jake Plummer

RB: Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Larry Johnson

WR: Chad Johnson, Donald Driver, Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, Ashley Lelie

TE: Billy Miller, Dallas Clark

DEF: New England

K: Ryan Longwell

If Kurt Warner can get back to normal, I'll be pleased with this team.

Nice, strong set of WR you got there, but it looks like your RBs are kind of weak. I'm thinking you might want to trade someone like Marty Booker and try to grab a decent RB like William Green or something. Faulk and Martin are somewhat injury prone, and Larry Johnson does not look like an adequate backup.

Great pickup in the NE defense. Guys like Roosevelt Colvin will rack up the sacks for you, and you always have guys like Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy picking passes off.

Here's my team:

QB's: Donovan McNabb, Drew Bledsoe

WR's: Plaxico Burress, Chad Johnson, Donald Driver, Josh Reed, and Santana Moss

RB's: Stephen Davis, Charlie Garner, and Marcel Shipp

TE's: Jeremy Shockey, Matt Schobel

K's: Jeff Reed, Ryan Longwell

Defense: Jason Taylor, Roy Williams, Keith Brooking

I kind of like this team. Some of my favourites from my team last year returned(Shockey, Shipp, Johnson, Davis, and Longwell) and I am pleased that I have McNabb and Bledsoe as choices for QB's. If everything works out, I might have a good year.

Guest El Satanico

I'm in a yahoo league...i hate yahoo, but it's the last free league I know of. Beside's it was someone else in charge of getting it together.

The way my league is set up you only NEED one starting RB. There's one RB and one WR/RB.

When I picked a third RB everyone good was taken and I had to pick between James Stewart and LJ. James Stewart has being a starter going for him, but Mariucci likes using alot of RBs. I picked LJ because if Priest's injury flares up he'll be a hot commodity.

QB - Michael Vick

RB - Warrick Dunn

RB - Amos Zeroue

RB - Moe Williams

WR - Ward Hines

WR - Antonio Bryant

WR - Kevin Northcutt

TE - Dallas Clark

WR/TE - Antwaan Randle El

K - Adam Vinatieri

DL - Terrell Suggs

DL - London Fletcher

DL - Leonard Little

DL - Warren Sapp

DB - Bobby Taylor

DB - Troy Vincent

DB - Shawn Springs

DB - Ryan McNeil

D - Reggie Tounge

D - Jason Webster

Bench - Roman Phifer, Kordell Stewart, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Kenny Watson, Lamar Smith

I know I should of went after WRs early in the draft being at the #12 spot but I had to get those 2nd rate RBs.

I'd be interested in that if you get it going, Marvin.

... but it looks like your RBs are kind of weak.

::looks at list again::

::sees "Marshall Faulk" on said list::

Faulk's not the best back in the league anymore (I'd rate him 6th, presuming we see a healthy Priest Holmes), but in the Rams' offense, he's still the most dangerous player in the NFL. Yeah, he's a little fragile, but his 14 games are better than a lot of people's 16. Martin's getting a little long in the tooth, but I'd expect him to put up decent numbers since the Jets' proposed vertical passing game is going to suck ass. Satanico, see if you can get a better backup RB than LJ without giving up too much. Maybe a sucker who got drawn in by Chambers' TD catches of two years ago would be a good target.

If Priest Holmes really is injured, picking up LJ will be a prescient move. I actually tend to believe they wouldn't have drafted LJ if it wasn't more serious than we all suspect, so I wouldn't trade the guy yet.

Your RBs are relatively fine, in my opinion, but your recievers are *okay*. None of those guys really are kingmakers, but you may have a winning combination with Warner/Faulk if they both kick back into form. I predict they will.

Guest El Satanico

WRs are overrated in fantasy football by many people. It's all about RBs.

I will never draft a WR before round four. Round 1&2 RB

Round 3 QB

I'm going to hang onto LJ for now and see how Priest does. Also, I picked Curtis Martin by accident. I meant to draft Corey Dillon, but Martin was right under him and I had him selected when I hit the draft button

If your leagues don't take off for fumbles Travis henry is going to have another big year. The Bills rebuilt their offense for power running by replacing pass catching Tight End and Fullback with blocking ones. He lacks breakaway speed...but he still got nearly 1500 yards last year...and that was WITHOUT a defense which cause the Bills to throw most of the time because they were playing from behind. That will not be the case nearly as often this year.

Ok heres the initial deal on what I was "working on"

- Its a keeper league (I don't know how many players can get the keeper designation right now..)

-12 Teams (Well, 11 now)

- I set up scoring as follows(I can also change it if something doesn't suit that well):

---

Scoring:

Normal Scoring (Offense)

6 pts for each passing TD

6 pts for each receiving TD

6 pts for each rushing TD

1 pt(s) for each 50 yard passing clip

1 pt(s) for each 25 yard receiving clip

1 pt(s) for each 20 yard rushing clip

3 pt(s) for a field goal between 0 and 39 yards

3.5 pt(s) for a field goal between 39 and 49 yards

4 pt(s) for a field goal between 50 and 70 yards

1 pt(s) for each extra point from your kicker

1 – 17 pts for defense: If your defense holds the opponent to < 17 points, then take 17 – the opponent’s score

6 pts for each special team / defense TD

2 pt(s) for each 2 pt conversion for every player involved

2 pt(s) for each fumble recovery

2 pt(s) for each interception

1 pt(s) for each defensive sack

2 pt(s) for each defensive safety

Losing Points

Minus 2 pt(s) for each fumble by your specific player

Minus 2 pt(s) for each interception by your specific player

Minus 2 pt(s) for each missed field goal

Minus 1 pt(s) for each missed extra point

Minus 1 pt for each point your defense gives up over 27

Roster:

No more than 18 players on your roster

Starters (Active roster)

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 K

1 Defense

3 Flex

-Theres Conference Functionality (IE 2 6 team divisions), woith head to head play, although thats a con for me personally (see cons below). Supposedly there is some playoff functionality that will be in place as well.

-Stats are provided Monday and Tuesday mornings, but not at any specific guaranteed time. This is not that worse than yahoo when you don't pay for the stat tracker so its not that big of a deal.

-Theres a full waiver wire set up in place and you can make trades as well.

-Standings and everything of the like are totally automated.

-A seperate message board we can post on.

-Site loads pretty well since it isn't used by that many people.

There are a few cons that could work themselves out or not -

-The draft is going to be interesting if they don't implement a live draft. Right now I have it set to prevent people from picking up people right now. If the live draft isn't set up by say, the 24th or so, we'll probably have to do an AIM draft and I will have to trust people to not draft more than 1 person per round.

-Its not that flashy. I had originally thought that a lot more stuff was customizable, but it turned out not to be. I do however like the potential and I think that the people who are doing it are very good at it and are trying to make the site better.

- I dont know what the turnaround time will be on added players to the rosters. They seem up to date as of now though.

- Unlike yahoo where you can get free info about the players, you'll have to get that from other places.

-I have to set up the head to head schedule for the whole season. :(

I was thinking I can set up some team pages on Geocities. Where its a keeper league and we'll have the same basic few teams/owners over the next couple of years (hopefully anyway) we could keep track of the history of the league and whatnot. Im not sure if this is the answer to making the league more competitive and avoiding people who bail out, but if they iron out a few problems I would say that it is not as bad as yahoo and the fact that its free and offers a keeper league are two big plusses.

http://www.cosg.net/ff/join.asp

League Name: The Smart Marks FFL

Password: andykaufman

You can join and check it out, and if you can post how you like it. We only need 11 teams so basically its first come first serve.

Edited by MarvinisaLunatic

I'm in....would you believe I am in 3 keeper leagues! This being the only true keeper league.

Not sure if this applies to Marvins league but I was at the forum of the football league and it had a crazy stat that gives 1 point for every 15 pass to a TE!

Edited by razazteca

Im hoping that they implement a live draft option. Im gonna post on the forum in the thread about it (probably tomorrow) and see how its going.

We only need 8 more teams. I was hoping that we could get 12 teams but if we cant we could make do with 10 or 8 in a worst case scenario.

Well I just saw the stupidest scoring stat ever. Browsing the available Yahoo leagues, one of the leagues is docking QBs 5 points each time they are sacked.. So David Carr would be worth about minus fifty thousand points.

Go to the scores page, there's a list there in the pulldown menu.

I'm sure this should be all set up by the beginning of the season. I'd really prefer a live draft, but I don't mind an AIM draft.

AIM drafts are fine as long as people know what they are doing going in. I tried to run a couple from yahoo messageboards people looking for leagues. But that never works out well, because people can't stay in line and usually half of them leave by the end.

One cool thing is I can split the draft up over a couple days if need be. You can draft the first couple rounds and then finish up whenever (IE do the first couple rounds all at once and then finish up by doing the rest whenever) If you had the next pick, all you'd have to do is IM me and I could unlock the players so you could draft and then close it again. The 24th as a target date for the draft gives plenty of time to finish the draft up if we go that route.

Plus, we can draft whenever we want, all I have to do is unblock the players.

And Im going to put names in a hat to draw out to get a random order for the draft since it doesn't do that for me. I'll do that ASAP after the league fills to give people some time to form a strategy for the draft.

Yay, I joined.

Marvin, about your point structure: frankly, it sucks. Running backs and receivers are worthless unless they're getting a point per 10 yards. QBs should get a point per 25 passing yards. These are de facto standards in every fantasy football league. No one is going to be excited by all their players having a good day, only to see their fantasy team "rack up" 55 points. Field goals should be on a 3/4/5 tier. The rest of the scoring looks OK, but some of those things really need revision.

Yay, I joined.

Marvin, about your point structure: frankly, it sucks.  Running backs and receivers are worthless unless they're getting a point per 10 yards.  QBs should get a point per 25 passing yards.  These are de facto standards in every fantasy football league.  No one is going to be excited by all their players having a good day, only to see their fantasy team "rack up" 55 points.  Field goals should be on a 3/4/5 tier.  The rest of the scoring looks OK, but some of those things really need revision.

I'll be glad to change it. I was just going by what the settings are in the Yahoo league, which are:

Passing Yards (50 yards per point)

Rushing Yards (20 yards per point)

Reception Yards (20 yards per point)

Return Yards (30 yards per point)

Those are roughly what we used last year as well if I remember correctly. But I'll be glad to change em.

Theres also bonus point set ups (WR's can get a set number of bonus points for getting over say, 100 yards recieving, RB can get bonus points for 100 yards rushing, and so on..) I didn't apply them because I have no idea what a fair amount of points as a bonus (or the yardage levels) would be.

Edited by MarvinisaLunatic

I don't think Dallas Clark has signed yet. So that might effect how much playing time he gets for the Colts.

I picked him in round 20 and well never expected much from the TE spot to begin with. Nearly every fantasty sport magazine rank him highly, so I hope to get a few TDs from him, when and if he plays.

I drafted this team last week. Walker and Zereoue were FA acquisitions.

QB Manning, Peyton (QB-Ind) QB Bench @Cle Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WR Moulds, Eric (WR-Buf) WR Bench NE Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WR Horn, Joe (WR-NO) WR Bench @Sea Sun 1:15pm PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WR Toomer, Amani (WR-NYG) WR Bench StL Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

RB Tomlinson, LaDainian (RB-SD) RB Bench @KC Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

RB Henry, Travis (RB-Buf) RB Bench NE Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TE Crumpler, Alge (TE-Atl) TE Bench @Dal Sun 1:15pm PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bench Lewis, Jamal (RB-Bal) RB Bench @Pit Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bench Garner, Charlie (RB-Oak) RB Bench @Ten Sun 5:30pm PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bench Jackson, Darrell (WR-Sea) WR Bench NO Sun 1:15pm PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bench Brooks, Aaron (QB-NO) QB Bench @Sea Sun 1:15pm PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bench Clark, Dallas (TE-Ind) TE Bench @Cle Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bench Walker, Javon (WR-GB) WR Bench Min Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bench Zereoue, Amos (RB-Pit) RB Bench Bal Sun 10:00am PDT - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kickers

POS PLAYER EDIT OPP STATUS FG

0-19 FG

20-29 FG

30-39 FG

40-49 FG

50+ PAT

Made Fantasy

K Akers, David (K-Phi) K Bench TB Mon 6:00pm PDT - - - - - - -

Defense Team

POS PLAYER EDIT OPP STATUS Pts

Allow Sack Int Fumb