TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

5 years later

Five years ago today, a mostly forgettable WCW/nWo Road Wild card was headlined by another celebrity wrestler; namely, 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno [who came out on top with some help from Kevin Eubanks]. Anybody have any comments about this....um, unique contest?

I thought they were just joking about it on the show until I saw the Road Wild commercial. I was simply like O_O

Jay Leno > Dennis Rodman though

Guest Dynamite Kido

yea, it did get attention from main stream media......attention that made wrestling fans look like total fucktards.

I thought they were just joking about it on the show until I saw the Road Wild commercial. I was simply like O_O

Jay Leno > Dennis Rodman though

At least Rodman could take wrestling moves. And throw an arm drag. Watch Hogan/Rodman vs Giant/Luger and you'll see Rodman was ok for a celebrity in-ring wrestler.

The Leno match was once a question on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

The question read:

"What talk show host wrestled with Hulk Hogan on pay per view in 1998?"

A. Leno

B. Letterman

C. O'Brien

D. Kilborn

I remember the contestant used a phone a friend.

I don't remember anything else though.

I was actually able to watch this PPV free. I guess the cable company messed up and didn't encrypte it. That being said, it was a long time before I watched WCW again.

Wasn't Rodman drunk off his ass that night?

"OMG he armdragged Luger!! HE'S THE GREATEST WRESTLER EVER!!!!!"

Ah ha...oh, that's funny...but seriously shut up.

It was responding to how Jay Leno was supposedly better than Rodman. He's a basketball player, you don't expect an armdrag for him. I marked the fuck out watching that for the first time. Sure, I was still young...but I still marked out. So there's no need for the sarcastic overexaggeration shit.

Guest Nobody in Particular

He wasn't being sarcastic. Schiavone actually said that.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

I wonder what the buyrate of the PPV was since it was the least popular PPV in my mind. And a show with just bikers in attendance? I think I'll pass and watch another edition of Celebrity Pool: The Balls of Wrath.

He wasn't being sarcastic. Schiavone actually said that.

He did not, he did overreact and say something close to "Rodman just armdragged Page perfectly, you don't see a wrestling move like that froma basketball player!" I remember thinking that was really cool back then too.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

I think I've said this before, but if ya ever needed to know how WCW managed to bankrupt itself, there ya go

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Yeah, Savage beat the everloving fuck out of him.

Anyway, Hogan's book has a chapter on Leno and Rodman (a very interesting read btw, at least until the WCW years when Hogan jacks the Bullshit-O-Meter up to 10). He hated working with Rodman, and considered Leno a "natural."

Guest JMA

Speaking of publicity stunts, remember when Hogan "ran" for President? Man, was that ever crazy. Then it was switched over to Savage for some reason. Weird.

Guest Choken One

Leno was a natural?

Call me crazy but at least Rodman understood the business and knew how to coax the crowd while Leno just clapped his hands.