TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jester

Who Got Over on Vince?

I've been thinking about Vince's business dealings over the years. Despite massive chaos, confusion, investigations, near bankruptcy, he has always come ahead. Sometimes it has taken years to get the last laugh, but he almost always gets it. I am wondering if there is anyone who has dealt with Vince--either an individual or organization--that has rode Vince like a mule, rather than being ridden.

Bret Hart looked like he was going to do it. He clobbered him and walked away with a big fat WCW contract. But WCW mismanaged Bret, went out of business, and you know the rest. Meanwhile, Vince invented the evil McMahon character and feuded with Austin, and turned the company around. He turned a bad situation into money.

Eric Bischoff might have been known as the guy who slew McMahon--when WCW was on top he made Vince and crew look like dinosaurs. Now, Eric works for Vince.

The US Justice Department--tried with the steroids trial, still couldn't bring him down. Few people who have taken legal action against him got anything out of it. Right Sable?

I think the only two parties that can legitimately say they got over on Vince are:

The World Wildlife Fund: It's Vince's fault for violating the agreement, but man did they make him pay for it. They substantially changed the company and its plans, and Vince hasn't got even. Time will tell if that changes.

Hulk Hogan: Hogan hasn't embarassed Vince like the WWF, but arguably he's always used Vince well. He's alway negotiated a premium contract, runs at the top, and usually left before Vince could humiliate him. There was that one time with Yokozuna, but Hogan went to WCW and became part of a big money angle.

Can anyone else think of someone who has walked away from Vince, taken his money and/or made him look like an ass without payback?

Guest Big_Jay101

Well Bishoff got the better of mcmahon for the msot part then AOl pretty much took over so id say bisch did. Then i'd say Goldberg just did. Bret did, even though he was mismanaged he retired and still got all his money from WCW. Triple H is getting the better now..although not hating eachother or nothign he is playing him like a fiddle. Vince Ego gets the better of him more than anything XFL Bodybuilding fed

At the risk of sounding like Vince McMahon is posting here, Bret's biggest enemy is Bret. He made as much money as he could at WCW. Even if the company was thriving today, Fuck Goldberg made sure that he wouldn't be there to take part in it.

Austin's leave was terrible. The guy's marital problems are well-documented, and now he's falling apart.

My number one choice would be The Rock. Here's a guy that would have gotten lost in the college football scene, took a whole bunch of money from Vince and is taking off with a million dollar moniker and a movie career that puts him on the same podium of the likes of Stallone and Govanuh Ahnold.

My second place goes to Undertaker. Even in these days were giants are no longer as awe-inspiring or amazing as they once were because the company has SO FUCKING MANY of them, UT has longer main event potential over all of them except Andre.

Jesse Ventura won that lawsuit with the WWF over video royalties in the early 1990's.

Vince was never given a chance back to embarrass Jesse, seemingly since Ventura's status has risen quickly in the last decade.

My number one choice would be The Rock. Here's a guy that would have gotten lost in the college football scene, took a whole bunch of money from Vince and is taking off with a million dollar moniker and a movie career that puts him on the same podium of the likes of Stallone and Govanuh Ahnold.

I'm sure Vince doesn't cry over the Rock's frequent departures from the ring; Vince is automatically given a "Executive Producer" credit in every film that the Rock stars in, earning him a good cut of money.

Guest Eagan469

That jobber that Jannetty paralyzed got a nice chunk of change from his lawsuit.

Same with Belzer.

That jobber that Jannetty paralyzed got a nice chunk of change from his lawsuit.

I doubt the man is laughing all the way to the bank, though.

Same with Belzer.

IIRC, he didn't suffer any permanent damage. Too bad this wasn't AFTER the first Wrestlemania -Belzer could've retired early.

I heard that there was a guy who testified against Vince and had he not been nervous on the stand, his story could have sent Vince away.

Eric Bischoff was turned down a job earlier in his career by the WWF and he murdered the WWF in the mid 90s.

Who's gotten over? Well, I can't really think of any talent, but there are some organizations:

1. World Wildlife Fund - Obvious, won't even go into further detail.

2. NFL - Also very obvious, the XFL was started too quickly, and with not enough details taken care of first.

3.  IFBB- The WBF only lasted 18 months, and was only serious competition for about 3 of those months.

On July 15th, 1992, Vince McMahon was reduced from 'kicking BUTT' to kissing it when he called Ben and Joe Weider, pronounced them the fathers of bodybuilding, and told them he was closing down his bodybuilding magazine production and the WBF.

The reason for McMahon's astonishing phone call to the brothers Weider, presumably, was that he wished to ensure he would be able to advertise Icopro products (the supplement he had millions invested in) in Muscle & Fitness, and Flex.

It took a special kind of conceit on McMahon's part to think he could achieve more in two years than what it took Joe and Ben Weider 50 years to build. But if your life's work has been one of being satiated in the pantomime of pro wrestling, it must be difficult at times to know where acting ends and reality begins.

McMahon lost over 15 million Dollars.

Nailz punched his ass out.

Yeah, but Vince still came out with the last laugh.

Wacholz didn't get any of the money which he claimed was owed to him. His claims of sexual assault, believed to be fabricated to cover up why he attacked Vince in the first place, went nowhere. When Wacholz went to WCW after his firing, he left after only a few appearances and hasn't wrestled since. Then his testimony in the steroid trial inadvertently helped Vince on his way to becoming a free man. Now Wacholz remains one of the biggest jokes in wrestling this side of Sid.

I'm sure Vince doesn't cry over the Rock's frequent departures from the ring; Vince is automatically given a "Executive Producer" credit in every film that the Rock stars in, earning him a good cut of money.

While Rock was on Helldorado and campaigning for Fuck Goldberg, a report surfaced that he bought the rights to the character name, which is why Vince would wind up in the credits.

While Rock was on Helldorado and campaigning for Fuck Goldberg, a report surfaced that he bought the rights to the character name, which is why Vince would wind up in the credits.

That report also said that The Rock was set to retire after Wrestlemania XIX, and concentrate full-time on his acting career.

Most of the TSM'ers took that interview with a grain of salt; especially when it was a "Guest Column" on 1Bob, complete with outdated pictures that didn't match the story.

Scott Hall, although being friends with those guys, never had the cotrol that they did/do over Vince.

He got X-Pac hired.

I was under the impression that most of Nash's career as a backstage force was in WCW. He didn't draw shit in the WWF, I can't imagine him forcing his way around backstage then, unless he simply had Undertaker Power (i.e. Vince is a mark for him because of his height, lets him do anything.)

Guest JMA
Are you talking about the MSG Hug? Might as well toss Scott Hall in there too then.

No, I'm not talking about the MSG incident. At least not in general. I mean the Kliq has been playing Vince for years and has gotten away with it.

Shawn Michaels - Faked an injury to get out of jobbing to Bret Hart. Tried to get out of jobbing to Austin. Held down superstars before the Kliq left. Still has a job today and friends in high places.

Kevin Nash - With Shawn Michaels held down talent and took up space in the main event. Has never had to work hard. Left for WCW when Turner called. Sat on his ass until his contract expired. Now has a big pay-check from the man he walked out on. His best friend is marrying the boss' daughter as well.

Triple H - Made the whipping boy for the Kliq. The WWF had no choice but to push him during WCW's rise to power. Worked his way up to the main event. Is now marrying the daughter of the man who turned him into a jobber. Has become just as bad as the "buddies" who abandoned him.

The Unholy Trinity of the Kliq has yet to receive their just deserts.

Guest LLSmoothJ

Jeff Jarrett -- His contract has ended a day before No Mercy 2000(Not really sure about the date) and was also the Intercontinental Champion at that time. Vince had to pay Jarrett a shitload of money for him to work the show and to put over Chyna before jumping to WCW. Now he runs his own wrestling company, NWA-TNA.

EDIT: No Mercy was on October 17th 1999, as Jarrett's WWF contract end on October 16th.

Edited by LLSmoothJ

Guest Super Pissed Smark

If Triple-H can seal the deal without signing a crippling pre-nup, I'd say he will have gotten over on Vince in a way nobody else will ever be able to top.

Jeff Jarrett -- His contract has ended a day before No Mercy 2000(Not really sure about the date) and was also the Intercontinental Champion at that time. Vince had to pay Jarrett a shitload of money for him to work the show and to put over Chyna before jumping to WCW. Now he runs his own wrestling company, NWA-TNA.

EDIT: No Mercy was on October 17th 1999, as Jarrett's WWF contract end on October 16th.

Vince sort of got the last laugh though, when he "fired" Jarrett on RAW after buying WCW.

Guest Choken One
Jeff Jarrett -- His contract has ended a day before No Mercy 2000(Not really sure about the date) and was also the Intercontinental Champion at that time.  Vince had to pay Jarrett a shitload of money for him to work the show and to put over Chyna before jumping to WCW.  Now he runs his own wrestling company, NWA-TNA.

Vince sort of got the last laugh though, when he "fired" Jarrett on RAW after buying WCW.

Don't forget JJJ is stuck tolling about in his daddy's company...

Mainstream Sports and the Medias perception of Vince McMahon.

Vince has always tried to become "legitimate", which is why he always tries to branch out from wrestling, yet he is still seen as a carnival act - no matter if he becomes a publically traded company, has millions of fans, makes more money than the Yankees in a given year, etc. etc. He's still "that crazy McMahon" at best, and "who?" at worst.

Guest Choken One
If Triple-H can seal the deal without signing a crippling pre-nup, I'd say he will have gotten over on Vince in a way nobody else will ever be able to top.

True but Vince will have that Contract IRONCLAD in his and Stephanie's Favor...

I'm sure Meltz will get a copy of the Pre-Nup and will disect that bitch to no end...

As already mentioned, Jesse Ventura is the only wrestler to truly have bested Vince. He got out at the top of his game, won a million dollar lawsuit, became the most famous wrestler in the United States as Minnesota governor, has his physical and mental health, and remains on good enough terms with Vince that he can come back when he wants.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Paul Heyman - Got to shoot on Vince and the WWF constantly, is given credit for coming up with the ideas that were the foundation of the second wrestling boom, and when his company went bankrupt he got his dream job of working in the WWE. Not only that but Smarks (a demographic he cares about) revere the man.

Honkey Tonk Man - You guys know the story. He's NEVER gotten any kind of blowback for his stunt with Savage.