TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhantMan

the greatest wrestling moments...

Guest PhantMan

or... the moments that gave you a reason to love this con-biz.

1) flair back in wcw. Just watching it yesterday gave me tears like it did years ago. it goes to show you that no matter how many t-shirts are sold, how many Games are That Damn Good or how many ***** matches you put on night in night out, ric flair remains the greatest performer of this era, perhaps ever. genuine appreciation for "the old guy in the club" (to quote Bruce Mitchell)that really give a shit about this biz, no matter how bad he was treated.

2) Hogan vs rock - we'll never see a crowd like that EVER AGAIN!

3) flair beat vader for the title. a very underrated flair match. in my opinion one of the true, last big monster vs underdog match that actually told the story. the story of "old guy" flair getting the shit beat up from the "new guy" monster vader and winning the gold again.

4) arn anderson retirement speech. for newer fans and marks alike, it was just another "fake rassling promo". for hogan, it was just another way to further piss on the history of the horsemen. I actually despised curt hennig for a long time and still look at him as the guy that should have taken a stand and vetoed the turn at fall brawl. I know he didn't have the booking power to vetoe thing and that it was mainly done to create heat (a la terry gordy slamming the cage door on the von erichs in the old days) but there are thing you JUST DON'T DO. the skit a week later by the nwo... well. scott hall is a drugatic. nash halfassed it 2 weeks after entering the biz. hogan is a legend, I'll give it to him, but he's justa paranoid guy after all whereas anderson and flair remains icons. syxx is just a bitch, he'll turn 50 (if drugs don't kill him first) and be still remembered as the clique's bitch.

I guess Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from WM 13. That's one of the matches that I would be proud to show anyone that doesn't watch any wrestling.

Wrestlemania III is a perfect example of what wrestling was about during the '80's boom period.

Hogan's heel turn is the setoff for the second boom and I think Rock vs. Foley from the Royal Rumble is a match that exemplifies that era; possibly even the Hunter vs. Austin 2/3 falls match from Backlash.

Guest BAR

Hmm...

Benoit winning the WCW belt and mentioning Dyno.

3/6/94 & 6/12/96.

Flair's final Nitro speech.

Flair/Steamboat - Clash VI.

DK/TM series.

There's a shitload more that have slipped my mind.

Undertaker/ Foley HIAC for the beyond sick bumps.

Michaels/ Hart WM XII for it truly showing the endurance of a champion and the "underdog overcomes all and wins" theme

Benoit/ Jericho IC Ladder Match @ Royal Rumble... 2001 I believe? Just an all-around sick and impressive match.

any Austin match for some new-school flavor and any Bret Hart title defense (other than WM XII) for the drama involved in all of the matches

Guest PhantMan

the michaels-hart match was good for many reasons, but it all came down to 2 guys going 60 b/c both neither wanted to lie down or show ass.

There's so many....

Booker T winning the world title for the 1st time. I thought he wasn't gonna win that match. When he won it shocked me.

Owen Hart's death. It wasn't great that he died per se but that his death impacted wrestling so much. Even the rival company put on a great tribute with Chris Benoit and Bret Hart, which is one of my favorite all time matches.

Mick Foley flying off that damn cell

Sting Flair forty five minute draw is awesome

So many moments for me to remember

Guest Mr. Adam

My poor grandchildren will have to put up with me comparing EVERY squash match to Honky and The Warrior from Summerslam. There's something about that MSG pop that makes this match something that should live on. But it won't due to the Warrior being written out of WWE history, aside from the WMVI match on the WM X-8 DVD.

Also, they'll have to hear me prattle on about Macho Man and Liz at Wrestlemania VII when ANYTHING divawise happens on TV.

Personally, I can't see Gerwitz or any other writer/booker being able to replicate or even come close to this angle.

Guest PhantMan

Damn, I watched wm 7 last night and no matter how many boobs I see on wwe tv these days, nothing can give me the chills the liz/savage reunion did! in '91 I was 7 years old and of course didn't know that liz used to be randy's wife (or the rumors that she used to be a rat before entering the biz) so that was very special.

I tell my kids about the time Hogan & The Rock shook Toronto to its very foundations.

I'll longily speak of the time Austin slayed Foley, McMahon and the Stooges by himself to hold on to the title at Over The Edge 1998.

I will vividly describe Sting chasing the nWo for 18 months alone.

And everything else I can remember because I talk too much about wrestling.

Guest whatitistoburn

Mick Foley winning the title for the first time. Still gives me chills.

Guest Taz_mark

Probably Dreamer finally winning the ECW title. That was pretty sweet(too bad he lost it only minutes later)

Out of what hasn't been mentioned:

- Savage/Flair (plus the "She was mine before she was yours" buildup) from WMVIII. Savage winning the title by himself that night was special.

- Pretty much anything featuring Hart family members teaming or feuding.

- The night the nWo destroyed WCW...where Rey got lawn-darted into the wall, where Sting and Arn shared an ambulance, etc. Brilliant followup to Bash at the Beach.

- Canadian Stampede.

- Flair winning the 1992 Rumble.

- The Megapowers Explode at WMV. An epic angle that went nearly a year and a half...unheard of today.

- All four Steamboat/Flair World title matches.

- Jericho's and the Radicals' debuts on WWF TV.

- And, of course, Benoit and Jericho (oh so briefly) make the main event together, starting with their tag title win against the Two-Man Power Trip.

Guest Dmann2000

Royal Rumble 1992

No match I feel has better replay value than this one.

It's my all-time favorite.

Guest Dmann2000

The kiddies are gonna have A LOT of tapes to go through...

"Come 'ere sonny, this is real rasslin' here"

Mick Foley winning the title for the first time. Still gives me chills.

I was there for that... taped at the Worcester Centrum...

and I remember flipping between Nitro and Raw the following week and Schiavone spoiled the ending for everyone else who was flipping...

Schiavone: Don't change the channel, Mick Foley is going to win the belt, mick Foley who couldnt even cut it in the WCW as Cactus Jack is goona win, so don't change the channel!!! OMGWTF we gotta go folks, we're outta time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Stennick

The entire nWo Storyline before it went to shits, the "who's joining this week" thing was great.

The Hollywood Hogan persona and how like him or not he grabbed another three years out of his career by just being himself

The Monday Night Wars, How great Eric was about running matches while Vince was on commercial, giving away the results for that weeks show, having Rick Rude show up the same week he was on WWF t.v good stuff

To name a few:

Kevin Nash ending Goldberg's streak. (Yes, Nash is trash, but Goldberg was overrated garbage and I literally jumped out of my seat when the 1-2-3 count was made)

Chris Jericho winning the Undisputed Championship and ENDING Austin's reign as WWE Champion.

Edited by Rico_Constantino

Guest Ray

The greatest wrestling "moments" are for me, of course, matches.

Austin vs. Benoit - SD 5/01 would definitely be one to show....being one of my all time favorite matches.

- The 10 man tag and post-match celebration at Canadian Stampede

- All of WM10 especially Bret being paraded around on Razor & Luger's shoulders

- Hogan/Rock & Hogan/Warrior

- Savage overcoming Flair at WM8

- The 6 man tag and Hogan's turn at Bash at the Beach

- Flair. Steamboat. 2/3 Falls.

- Flair's final Nitro speech

Fuck so much more.