TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PLAGIARISM!

Did I dream this?

OK, so I'm a cashier and one of my supervisors tells me today that because I have spiked hair, that is a hazard to Health and Safety. I am now being threatened with disciplinary action. I can't quite believe this. My hair isn't even particularly long. It isn't even spiked all over. There's no dye in it. I spent time getting it to look as neat as possible. It's basically swept up into a row of small spikes on one side (the spikes aren't even twisted/defined).

I've been asked to lower my hair before, and I did. When I did that, it was more than twice as long as it is now and the spikes were fully separate from one another and a few inches long, so I could see where they were coming from and complied.

This wouldn't bother me so much if they'd produced anything approaching a vaild reason. The supervisor that was sent to inform me of this said she herself couldn't believe that the reason was 'People might poke their eyes out.' I stood there in disbelief. I'd have to try pretty fucking hard to injure anyone with my HAIR.

Another thing is, I'm good at my job. My performance was reviewed last week and I scored 100%. Regular customers make sure I serve them because they appreciate the service. I actually quite enjoy what I do, I was only going to do it temporarily and I've been there a year now. I don't want to make it sound like I'm leaving my job over a haircut, I intend to find something more structured with more £££ before I go to University next year, but the company's recent policies and the mismanagement of our store are starting to piss me off as well, and of course I take the fall for that. This just pushed me over the edge.

TWATS

That is ridiculous!

You say "£££" so im guessing your from the UK. If you dont mind me asking, what company doyou work for? Im jsut wondering, as I do a similar job and have, by the sounds of things, a similar hair cut :huh:

Sainsbury's. I've enjoyed it up to now really, and i don't mind flattening it whilst i look for something else. But as a whole the company seems to be insulting people's intelligence as of late.

Oh right, I work for a small DIY shop. The money is ok I guess (£4.47/hour) but the work sucks. I basically get given all of the boring, difficult and strenuous work.

The management basically know they can take the piss because im part time, and so they do. Full timers who know DIY inside out will sit on the till all day serving about 10 customers an hour, while I have to haul 40kg packages around and stack the shelves with dorr handles that take hours to sift through.

How much are you on a an hour? Ive heard good things about Sainsbury's treatment of staff, I also heard that Sainsbury give good bonuses and discounts to their staff.

I get 5% of my monthly salary if the sales budget is exceeded (about a tenner max), and I get 20% off in the shop, which sucks because I dont buy DIY products.

The bonuses are good, my pay recently moved up to £5.05 (Though I dunno if it's the starting rate, people who've started recently say it's not nearly as good as it was when I did). Like I said, I've enjoyed it really.

It's nice to know that stupidity isn't just the sole domain of the US. I could have understood any other reason besides "it can poke somebody's eyes out."