TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Decadent Slacker

Hogan Not In HCTP

This pleases me. But anyone know if this is the end of the Old School Hogan in the Legends?

If so, i nominate either Cactus or one of the Harts be in his place.

According to IGN, the Legends list is still being finalized through negotiations. When they gave the "confirmed, will not change, for sure in the game" list of Legends, I noticed Warrior's name, who from the beginning I could not see licencing himself out to a WWE product, was not on it. Hopefully he stays in though.. he needs to job to Ted for me.

Since i'm as far from a video game news type guy as you can get, i was under the impression that Warrior only owned the Warrior name, not the Ultimate Warrior name. I hope he makes it though. I plan on marking for the entrance for a few times at least.

As for other legends, i'll just say that either Hart, Cactus, Bulldog, Old School Flair (why not?), & maybe a Freddie Blassie would suit me fine. Altough the mark in me wants Barry Darsow in somw capacity.

Guest wrestlingbs

Hogan's not. but Mr. America is!

Well, somebody was going to make that joke.

Jeff Hardy will not be in the game either.

For the 1 of you that care.

Think of all the screaming teenage girls who will buy the game thinking hes in it only to be disappointed.

I predict they will be the leading contributor to the returns of the game.

On a side note, I wonder if any version will have Matt Hardy's entrance/Matt Facts. They could probably set it up so its Matt (insert comparison) than (Insert Opponent here).

Guest Choken One
Jeff Hardy will not be in the game either.

For the 1 of you that care.

Think of all the screaming teenage girls who will buy the game thinking hes in it only to be disappointed.

I predict they will be the leading contributor to the returns of the game.

On a side note, I wonder if any version will have Matt Hardy's entrance/Matt Facts. They could probably set it up so its Matt (insert comparison) than (Insert Opponent here).

I'd love it if they had a million random things...

Does anyone no if Cena will do a freestyle when he comes to the ring or will they just have him walking down to the ring with a microphone and just opening his mouth not saying anything?

I have no problem with Hogan as a CAW. Then i can choose to create someone else. Although i need to create Thunderlips just once.

If they even had like 3-5 different Matt Facts tailored to each wrestler, i'm satisfied. The only thing better would be to write your own through the CAW or something.

No Jones or Palumbo? If Gunn is in, i'll be a little surprised. I mean, he was hurt forever, while Chuck was around. But i don't care that much. Jones doesn't surprise me. Replace him with...well, anyone, & it's perfect. Is Mack in it?

it's not going to kill me to have no Palumbo or Jones, but I just wish for once it would be full roster. I mean, most sport games have every single player, I just wish it'd be the same. No Mercy had most, but still skipped quite a few of the jobbers, they at least put their pictures in the CAW. SYM is great, but it still lacks guys here and there like Tommy Dreamer and Crash Holly. I mean, they already had Crash in Smackdown 3. I still will get the game and don't want to seem to complain too much, I just think it'd be nice to have no omissions, every official "Superstar" on the roster.

Full roster would rock, but wouldn't that make it like load for an hour? I'd love Dreamer, Spanky & maybe Funaki, but they aren't worth the load time.

I seem to recall Ultimo made it, is that true?

smackdown_080703_18.jpg

Not sure about you, but could "create moves" actually mean what I think it means? Considering they've got "create animation" right below that.

I know it's not, but a guy can wish, right?

As for the roster:

Can't seem to find out where to find it. And I've been checking. Sorry Choked.

Guest Memphis

Triple H's EVIL PURPLE TIGHTS~! made it into the game!

Hunter is now officially unstoppable.

TAKFA 'M'

Triple H's EVIL PURPLE TIGHTS~! made it into the game!

Hunter is now officially unstoppable.

TAKFA 'M'

:P Oh come on. He won't be unstoppable.

Just make sure you keep him away from the sledgehammer and from a title match, and all should be fine.

Not sure about you, but could "create moves" actually mean what I think it means? Considering they've got "create animation" right below that.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but what else could that feature mean?

August 07, 2003 - For those of you who are just joining us, IGNPS2 blew the doors wide open yesterday in terms of verifiable information regarding the monstrously anticipated wrestling title WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain. And though we managed to confirm the first nine legendary warriors in addition to debunking common myths about the final roster (let us reiterate, Hogan and Chuck Palumbo will not be in it - ever), there were still plenty of details to talk about. From the refined career mode interface and the shopzone, to the list of championship belts and creation features, it was an absolute frenzy of information. But we're not even close to being finished.

As originally promised, we managed to grab some exclusive hands-on time with the latest build earlier this afternoon, and even in the span of a single day we've already come to know much more than we did before. The most immediate change we noticed is the exclusion of the "Create a Belt" feature mentioned yesterday. Though there's still a possibility that this option will make its way into the final version before shipping to stores in late October, its status as a definitive selection is still being toiled over.

One area of creation that's still very much alive, however, is the heralded wrestler editor. A powerful tool that allows its users to assemble practically any grappler they can imagine, the Create a Character option appears to be more abundant than it's ever been before. On the surface, the basics of it look to be pretty much the same (save for a couple organizational changes and what not) and the interface works identically to last year's.

smackdown_hctp_080703_inline_01.jpg

On the bonus side, figures are proportioned more realistically and the body morphing techniques sculpt the player model in a more precise way. If you're unsure what kind of body frame to give your superstar, the flexible morphing tool actually tells you what kind of build your personality is receiving (thin, beefy, or buff) and should guide novice architects in the right direction. Individual body parts can still be morphed on their own and the load times when cycling through new outfits and skins appear to be noticeably faster. The remainder of character creation is extremely similar to Know your Role with an identical color picker, shade adjuster and separation of apparel. So if you remember how that works, you'll know the rest of the story here. Admittedly though, the sheer number of choices is enormous.

Once our figure was created, we noticed that the biographical options had been further expanded. Weight classifications are now spread out amongst four different groups (Light, Light Heavy, Heavy, and Super Heavy) and rather than merely selecting a "face" or "heel" in your status window you can manipulate a slider bar in different degrees to pinpoint an exact level of popularity. The most important change, though, is attribute point setup.

Instead of giving your character a list of pre-set attribute points represented by the familiar diamond-like diagrams we've seen in past Smackdowns!, Here Comes the Pain produced an easy to follow chart with five different categories: Strength, Submission, Endurance, Technique, and Speed. All beginning characters are given 0 points to utilize for their character, and must earn experience in career mode to raise these attribute bars into the higher levels. To put it in wrestling terms - you have to start out like a jobber just like everyone else.

But an explanation of the career mode is a treat that we're saving for another time. Today's excursion is all about how the game plays; and we're happy to report that it's significantly different and more intricate than the previous titles in the series. Especially in terms of realism - as the grappling system has changed significantly.

Countering, for instance, is no longer left to the Square button. Instead, the L1 and L2 triggers act as reversals, blocks, ducks, and similar maneuvers to keep you out of harm's way. These defensive maneuvers aren't random either, as the L1 key is mapped to counter the strike attacks while the L2 button is utilized for countering grapples. This small but subtle change affects the flow of a match drastically and randomly tapping the Square button as fast as possible will no longer save your hide. Timing the correct button with the correct attack is now the only way that you can get out of the hairier situations.

The rest of the button layout is pretty much the same with a few slight alterations. R1, for instance, acts as the focus-switch to alternate between opponents while L1 remains the finisher. The square button has been changed to pick up items or weapons, and the triangle button is still for sprinting. X is the strike button as always, circle initiates grapple, and the right analog stick is used for humiliating your opponents via taunt. It's a small reorder in the grand scheme of things, but it opens up the possibilities that much further.

Matches themselves are faster paced, with the computer A.I. showing significantly higher aggression than we've seen in the past. Even on the standard difficulty setting, every single WWE superstar mixed up their techniques for a quick attempt at victory. If an opponent knocks you to the floor, they'll stay in you and won't leave you untouched as they had a habit of doing in last year's game. Also promising is that Smackdown! takes size and weight into consideration for every match-up, so you'll never see Stacy Kiebler body slam The Big Show again - in fact, you'll see very few people do that at all.

smackdown_hctp_080703_inline_02.jpg

Another big improvement is the struggle system. Instead of giving every wrestler a default lockup win just because he pressed a button first, tie-ups will result in a back and forth struggle between the combatants. Represented by a slider bar that shows the two involved, rapidly tapping the button you need for an attack will move the slider in one direction towards the person who's winning the struggle. If you can manage to do that, you'll pull off your maneuver and deliver the proper grapple.

But the grapple slider isn't as cut and dry as it sounds. As time wears on, the sliders will favor certain players more than others based on strength and fatigue. Also taken into account is what kind of damage certain body parts will take (yes, there's limb-specific damage), and whether or not a player has been busted open over the course of a match (and man does the blood look convincing). All of these factors combine to produce a constantly changing environment, and a far deeper game than what we had with Shut Your Mouth.

Other tidbits worth mentioning include the fact that every wrestler in the game has unique tie-ups and holds, and there are no longer standard default animations for similar maneuvers. So while Brock Lesnar and Bubba Ray Dudley may have used the same shoulder-lock technique last year when they went at it, their look this year will be significantly more personalized. Brock for instance goes for a lot of headlocks while Bubba Ray leans into it with his back as he's done on television for years.

Needless to say, Yukes and THQ are obviously trying their hardest to produce THE definitive wrestling game. And while there are still plenty of areas to explore further (like attack techniques based on personalities, the affect that forming stables have on season mode, and the list of included arenas), we need to save some kind of information in anticipation for the coming weeks.

Before we go, however, be sure and click on the media page below to check out brand new IGN-exclusive screenshots and movies taken directly from the build we played earlier today. If your need for the game hasn't reached a fevered pitch yet, watching those flicks just might do the trick. We'll be back with more… soon.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but what else could that feature mean?

If it actually means moves, you better believe I'm adding a couple.

Yet, I doubt it means taht.

As for the rest of it that you posted, I'm figuring if it's all there, this WILL be a game not to miss. Than again, SD:SYM didn't have that much of a competitor, so SD:HTCP probably won't either.