TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Only The Strong Survive

Out of Sheer Boredom

Which is the best 80's thrash band out of the "Big Four"?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best 80's thrash band out of the "Big Four"?

• Metallica
    • Megadeth
    • Slayer
    • Anthrax
    • None of the Above

I don't know... I was like two when all this stuff was going on, but I want to know what any fans of the bands think....

Slayer. They defined an entire genre of music, Have longevity and consistency that the others can't match, and a much wider scope of influence.

Metallica is one of my all time favorites(sue me) because they were the first metal band I ever heard. I loved all of their stuff, now I'm so bitter about them(although they did become a pretty good hard rock band for a while there) that I can't give them the vote.

^ What he said

As with most people, I pick a specific type of music to listen to depending on the mood I'm in, and with Megadeth, their songs can cater to almost any mood with their collection. For me personally, neither Slayer nor Anthrax can do this, and Metallica's music is generally at a lower standard to Megadeth (though with notable flashes of brilliance).

I like Anthrax because of the 2 rap songs they did. I'm the Man and Bring the Noise.

Just curious but should'nt Sepultura be on the list also?

1. Slayer

2. Metallica

3. Megadeth

4. Exodus

5. Anthrax (never really got into Anthrax too much)

Slayer is the best pure thrash band out of all of them, because they were also the ONLY pure thrash band out of all of them. Metallica and Megadeth recorded ballad-like slower songs based on technical precision, and Anthrax goofed around with rap.

Slayer, in the overall scheme of things, stayed better over time. God Hates Us All is better than any new material any of the other member of the "Big 4" have released recently, and even though Diabolous In Musica is NOT a Slayer album, it's still somewhat enjoyable. Risk...Re-Load...St. Anger...no.

Dave Mustaine got off the heroin and alcohol and became bored with his music, almost (and thus we got Risk). Metallica has been gone into plenty of times, so I won't even start there.

1. Slayer

2. Metallica

3. Anthrax

4. Megadeth

I'd put Metallica first but look what they've become. Slayer wins by staying true to their roots (for the most part). Anthrax is number three, but I haven't liked their stuff with Bush for the most part. I'm a Turbin/Belladonna fan. I never listened to Megadeth much. I hate Mustaine's voice.

Metallica and Megadeth recorded ballad-like slower songs based on technical precision, and Anthrax goofed around with rap

I was listening to the best of albums that Anthrax has done, Attack of Killer A's and Attack of Killer B's and can see that your right about Anthrax. They did experiment with different styles. From the I'm the Man with the band wanted to be like the Beastie Boys to the Rap/Rock of Bring the Noise with Public Enemy. There is also this crazy country type song on the Killer A's album that is good for laughs.

Guest Shaved Bear

Metallica is my favorite of those bands, but Slayer is the best Thrash band there

Guest Choken One

I personally have to go with Metallica.

Slayer may be the "Metal" gods after Sabbath but I liked how Metallica was more diverse then Slayer.

That's not neccesaryly a slam AGAINST Slayer...it just that Metallica although it might not always work with the metal freaks...attempt to diversify the music..

I like that because the same old song and dance will irritate me.

It was kinda hard because I haven't listened to any of them in some time. I wound up in the end going with Anthrax because of the following reasons to discount the others:

1...Metallica started very good, but has turned to shit.

2...Megadeth has Dave Mustaine and that's all I'd like to say about that.

3...Slayer to me really hasn't evolved much and kinda become a parody of itself and the genre. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but to me everything they've done sounds the same, and that people think they're all metal just because they know about Slayer.

That left me with Anthrax.

Yes, because "Disicple" sounds exactly like "Raining Blood," and we can't forget the amazing similarities between "Seasons In The Abyss" and "Hell Awaits"...

Yes, because "Disicple" sounds exactly like "Raining Blood," and we can't forget the amazing similarities between "Seasons In The Abyss" and "Hell Awaits"...

I guess. I've just never been able to get into Slayer.

Slayer while produce some great CD's, has produce some iffy ones as well, and me playing Devil's Advocate...Reign In Blood is a real...well...crap fest...

Guest Vitamin X
Slayer while produce some great CD's, has produce some iffy ones as well, and me playing Devil's Advocate...Reign In Blood is a real...well...crap fest...

:o

:blink:

Its got its moments, but it is no where near there better albums such as Show No Mercy, South Of Heaven or Seasons of the Abyss...

Plus King sucks shit live...Hannenmen played most of the solo's which King couldn't perform...

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Its got its moments, but it is no where near there better albums such as Show No Mercy, South Of Heaven or Seasons of the Abyss...

Plus King sucks shit live...Hannenmen played most of the solo's which King couldn't perform...

On the first point, you're absolutely right. I'd put all three of those albums over the other.

On the second point..umm.. YOU suck shit live. Maybe I caught them on an exceptional evening, but the entire band was ON. King included. Ripping through "Captor of Sin," shredding everyone's balls off..it was great. It's been a few years since I've seen them though. Although the laws of aging and time sadly do apply to Slayer, and even Kerry fuckin' King can get arthritis, thus hurting tours somewhat, their studio material is still top-rate. Diabolus in Musica wasn't too good, but hey..evolving one's sound, huh? On God Hates us All they got it right, and released an album that whips ass from start to finish, but is different than their early thrashings.

Guest Ray

Slayer's a bit too heavy for me. ;)

Metallica is much easier to listen to. Megadeth coming in a close second.

Guest Dmann2000

I too never dug Slayer that much...

Anthrax I only have one album, but it's a killer...Sounds of White Noise

Megadeth, I'm digging Rust in Peace, but I don't listen to them as much.

So yes, I'm in with Metallica because...Damnitt I'm actually digging St Anger now.