Vern Gagne

Should foreign born citizens...

Well  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well

• Yes
    • No

Guest Choken One

Any reason for your belief or are you just starting a random topic for no reason?

My thoughts...

If *Candiate X* has lived and been a Naturalized Citizen of America for 15+ years...I say he is every bit as american as the rest of us...He/She paid taxes just like us folks do...

Just because he/she was born in another country shouldn't prevent her from seeking office like any other white, blood sucking American-Born politician...

It's 2003. If America is supposedly the land of the Free and the home of equal Rights and Opportunity...then we shouldn't prevent equally qulified potential Candidates to run for office.

My answer is No.

Why not- my uncle was born Israel but moved to the US when he was 1. He's lived here for 50+ years. And because of that he shouldn't be president?

Guest JMA

I don't see how not being born on American soil makes someone who has lived here awhile any less American. I vote "yes."

Any reason for your belief or are you just starting a random topic for no reason?

My thoughts...

If *Candiate X* has lived and been a Naturalized Citizen of America for 15+ years...I say he is every bit as american as the rest of us...He/She paid taxes just like us folks do...

Just because he/she was born in another country shouldn't prevent her from seeking office like any other white, blood sucking American-Born politician...

It's 2003. If America is supposedly the land of the Free and the home of equal Rights and Opportunity...then we shouldn't prevent equally qulified potential Candidates to run for office.

I didn't feel like going into detail, on my first post.

Bob's Uncle is more understandable. I have questions about adults who move here. It's if fine they become citizens, and support this country, but to me it isn't the same as being a U.S. born citizen. They may still have strong feelings for their native countries. That's just not something, I want the President or Vice President to have.

Guest Fallen Angel

*gets wishy-washy*

I can totally understand both sides. While I'm sure the majority of naturalized immigrants are decent, hard-working people who love America, you have to wonder if some, once in the position of power, wouldn't allow their ties to their former homeland to affect foreign policy and whatnot. Domestic policy, as well, I suppose. I don't know -- I don't see it as a big enough deal. With the millions of jobs a man or woman can take in this nation, I fail to see how keeping one or two off-limits is so grave. And for record, I'd have no problem with a naturalized immigrant holding high office. Just not the highest.

Guest JMA

Does it really matter if they have feelings for their native country? As long as they have America's best interests at heart I'd be cool with it. Hell, it might even make international relations better. Keyword is "might."

Guest JMA
Yes.

I don't mean them being nationalistic, just liking their country. Like I said, as long as they would have America's best interests at heart.

Guest JMA

And yes, I fully realize the possibility of the foreign President being biased toward his own country.

Guest Fallen Angel

Therein lies the problem.

Have you ever been tempted? If so, you know sometimes, some temptations are hard to resist. The President in only human, and the law should account for that.

I vote yes.

By keeping people from doing so, we may be hurting our country more than helping it. I say have some sort of rule where you must live here for 15-20 years, and then after that, it's game.

Guest HBK16

I said yes. My view on politics isnt too strong but the reason I voted yes is because I was born in Argentina and I would like to see an Argentinian president....Actually I wouldnt.

Does it really matter if they have feelings for their native country?

Yes.

If someone can do a good, impartial job, then it doesn't matter whether he is biased towards a country or not. Do you think Bush wasn't biased towards Saddam and Iraq after his dad went to war with them?

Ultimately, I don't think Americans would ever elect a remotely non-American president anyhow.

By the way, I said yes :)

Guest MikeSC
My answer is No.

Why not- my uncle was born Israel but moved to the US when he was 1. He's lived here for 50+ years. And because of that he shouldn't be president?

Because then you can have a person who has been a citizen for 2 months running for President.

The gov't has the right to set up WHATEVER criteria they wish for a candidate.

Heck, why must somebody be 35?

-=Mike --- You have to draw a line SOMEWHERE, kids.

Guest MikeSC
Yes.

I don't mean them being nationalistic, just liking their country. Like I said, as long as they would have America's best interests at heart.

If you have affection for your "home" country --- America will never be the #1 concern.

-=Mike