TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Weekend boxoffice report Aug 8-10

Guest El Satanico

Yes...you were insanely wrong

Speaking of that...In may who thought Finding Nemo and Pirates of the Caribbean would be the top two movies this summer?

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
Grind is this year's "Airborne"...wait, that's a bad example.

Gind is this year's "Out Cold"...there, that's more like it.

Airborne owned all your fucking asses...

Grind is this year's "Airborne"...wait, that's a bad example.

Gind is this year's "Out Cold"...there, that's more like it.

Airborne owned all your fucking asses...

I love Airborne!

It's so bad it's great. The Wiley Man! Augie! Airborne is the shit.

I liked Out Cold, even if it made about $26 in it's theatrical run. I may be the only guy who thinks Zack Galifianakis is a comedic god.

I said in another thread 20 seconds ago that I like Out Cold. And Zack Galifianakis is the shit. And he was in the uberunderrated...

bubbleboy.jpg

BUBBLE BOY!

Freddy vs. Jason will easily be #1. SWAT was #1 this past week and frankly I knew almost nothing about who was even in that movie till about a week before it came out. The whole F vs. J thing has been hyped for a long time. It will make money.

I have NEVER gone to see a Friday the 13th movie or Elm Street movie and I am even excited about seeing this.

Jason X was funny as hell.

Then again the company I was watching the movie with *made* it funny.

F v. J bombs--though I bet they didn't spend much on it anyway. I'm gonna guess $18 million as a really generous upper limit if the fans turn out in droves, and $8 million as much closer.

I, of course, have minimal expertise, but a niche internet community is the only place I've seen anyone giving a shit about this one.

Im not really sure, but I think F vs. J may do REALLY well. It's not like other horro movies and it will draw alot more in my oppinion. Freddy Fans,Jason fans, and other people interested in how it will end and so on. I am going to go with 18 mil. opening weekend. Number 1. Swat at 2.Freaky Friday at 3 and Open Range at 4. Grind at 5 because I think alot of gay little teenagers will go out to see this movie, although it looks horrible. It look's like NOTHING compared to out Cold LOL.

Jason X was funny as hell.

I agree with that.

Those chicks from near the end of the movie: "We love pre-marital sex"

*Jason then puts them in sleeping bags, and beats the shit out of them*

Funny stuff, that was.

Man, I understand how a lot of the people on this board like horror movies, but you have to be realists. It wont make more than $10 million and it wont be higher than 3rd.

Also, for someone who wanted it

Top 5 Box Office Bombs

5. "Heaven's Gate" (1980, United Artists)

Budget: $44 million

U.S. Box Office: $3 million

Turkey Trivia: The film's original budget of $11.5 million ballooned as the out-of-control and unsupervised Cimino shot and reshot. The egomaniacal auteur, whose contract stipulated that the film be no longer than three hours, ended up shooting 1.5 million feet of film, enough for several feature-length movies. The original cut, which debuted in New York, clocked in at nearly four hours and was eviscerated by critics.

4. "The Postman" (1997, Warner Bros.)

Budget: $80 million to $100 million

U.S. Box Office: $17.6 million

Turkey Trivia: In addition to putting three of his kids in the three-hour-plus movie, Costner took a page from Bruce Willis' handbook and showed off his vocal skills (or lack thereof) by dueting with Amy Grant on Lovin' Spoonful's "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice" over the closing credits. We're guessing the six people who actually sat through the credits weren't impressed.

3. "Town & Country" (2001, New Line)

Budget: $85 million to $90 million

U.S. Box Office: $6.7 million

Turkey Trivia: If the words "middle-aged sex comedy" weren't enough to scare off audiences, then the long-term bad buzz probably was. Three years in the making, "Town" went into production without a script, a surefire recipe for disaster. Soon, its original $40 million budget was spiraling as the flick went through rewrite after rewrite, with Chelsom reportedly shooting a Cimino-worthy 1.3 million feet of film. The studio, which had bumped the film's release date a whopping 13 times, made a last-ditch attempt to reach its target market — women over 25 — by running a rare profanity-filled "red band" trailer before R-rated movies. It didn't work.

2. "Cutthroat Island" (1995, MGM/Carolco)

Budget: $100 million-plus

U.S. Box Office: $9.9 million

Turkey Trivia: Michael Douglas was originally tapped to play the male lead, but jumped ship after Davis' role was bulked up by hubby Harlin. Keanu Reeves, Liam Neeson, Jeff Bridges, Ralph Fiennes, Charlie Sheen and Michael Keaton all reportedly turned down the role before Modine signed on. Among the little extras that helped push the original $65 million budget past the $100 million mark: Harlin commissioned — at a million bucks each — working replicas of battle-ready 17th-century ships.

1. "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" (2002, Warner Bros.)

Budget: $90 million to $100 million

U.S. Box Office: $4.4 million

Turkey Trivia: "Nash," which had been in development since 1980, sat on the shelf for two years before crash-landing in theaters. Murphy refused to promote it, though we can hardly blame him. What could he say about a movie whose trailer begins, "Somewhere between Earth and Uranus, you'll find Pluto Nash"?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I'll say in the neighborhood of 15-20 mil. This is going to draw casual fans, and it has no competition in it's main demographics.

Marvin, Bps...

I rarely ever get a chance to do this with glee, but FvJ made 13 million on Friday...ALONE.

And for the record, that's with NYC subway service suspended and most NYC theaters empty, so it would have been even more.

I told ya so :)

Dames

I knew it would make big money...I had to miss the 9:05 show cause it was sold out and had to go to the 9:30.

Whatever it makes will even be more so impressive with parts of Michigan, New York, and other places without power.