TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Graphic Novels

I am a big fan of The Sandman, Preacher, Watchmen, Stardust, and a couple others I can't remember right now. Could anyone give some other suggestions of somethings similar or entirely different that you'd think I would enjoy. I have been out of comics for a while so any response is appreciated.

Anything by Frank Miller is worthing...I recommend his paperbacks "Daredevil: Visionaries" Volumes I through III and the hardcover "Daredevil/Elektra" which features both "Elektra: Love and War" and "Elektra: Assasin". The other three contain his run on the "Daredevil" monthly series.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Use TPB's to ctach up, but for godssakes, if you find a character you like BUY THE COMIC EACH MONTH. That's how comics are SUPPOSED to be enjoyed, the TPB trade is the reason no writer at Marvel can turn in a storyarc that's less then 4 or 5 parts.

Like Batman? Get Batman, Detective Comics, and LOTDK.

Like Spidey? Buy Amazing Spider-Man

Like Superman? Buy one of th dozen comics they have for him.

I'm starting to think more about TPB's than monthly issues. They're cheaper and I can enjoy the whole story arc at once. I'll never flat out abandon comic books, but for some stuff I'd just rather get the trade.

Okay I've started collecting TPB's myself lately

The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen are a must. If you prefer a more detective Batman over crazy violent one, The Long Halloween followed by Dark Victory are good. Fables and the League are also good reads.

Blankets by Craig Thompson is awesome a bit pricey though but worth it.

Guest Goodear
I am a big fan of The Sandman, Preacher, Watchmen, Stardust, and a couple others I can't remember right now. Could anyone give some other suggestions of somethings similar or entirely different that you'd think I would enjoy. I have been out of comics for a while so any response is appreciated.

If you liked Preacher, you might want to look into The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank TPB since its done by the same people as well as Fury which is extremely similar in tone. I would also recomend the Alan Moore America's Best Comics series with Top Ten, League of Extrodinary Gentlemen and Tom Strong.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I am a big fan of The Sandman, Preacher, Watchmen, Stardust, and a couple others I can't remember right now.  Could anyone give some other suggestions of somethings similar or entirely different that you'd think I would enjoy.  I have been out of comics for a while so any response is appreciated.

If you liked Preacher, you might want to look into The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank TPB since its done by the same people as well as Fury which is extremely similar in tone. I would also recomend the Alan Moore America's Best Comics series with Top Ten, League of Extrodinary Gentlemen and Tom Strong.

DO NOT GET FURY.

THE PUNISHER is comic book neo-noir with tons of language and violence, but still maintains a good story with tons of villains. Fury is an exercise in stupidity and was made seemingly for the sole purpose to say the F word a lot. It's drivel. As is 90% of the Marve MAX line, stick with Vertigo, you'll be happier.l

Well, I've just starting getting into these as well, so here's some of my recommendations:

V For Vendetta

From Hell

^

both good Alan Moore stuff

All the Sin City collections are worth reading.

For something more serious, Maus, which is a true story about World War II, with animals. The Jews are mice, Germans cats, Americans dogs, etc. Gripping stuff.

I am a big fan of The Sandman, Preacher, Watchmen, Stardust, and a couple others I can't remember right now.  Could anyone give some other suggestions of somethings similar or entirely different that you'd think I would enjoy.  I have been out of comics for a while so any response is appreciated.

DO NOT GET FURY.

THE PUNISHER is comic book neo-noir with tons of language and violence, but still maintains a good story with tons of villains. Fury is an exercise in stupidity and was made seemingly for the sole purpose to say the F word a lot. It's drivel. As is 90% of the Marve MAX line, stick with Vertigo, you'll be happier.l

I actually thought Fury was quite good. I enjoyed it.

MARVELS is my favorite TPB of all time.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Power and Responsibility

Thor Visionaries: Walt Simonson vol. 1

Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne vol. 1

Earth X

Edit: But if you want to go strictly Graphic Novel and not TPB collected editions, then you can do no wrong with X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills. And every Bat-fan raves about The Killing Joke, so you could try that one (I haven't yet, I'm sorry to say.)

Edited by pochorenella

Use TPB's to ctach up, but for godssakes, if you find a character you like BUY THE COMIC EACH MONTH. That's how comics are SUPPOSED to be enjoyed, the TPB trade is the reason no writer at Marvel can turn in a storyarc that's less then 4 or 5 parts.

Like Batman? Get Batman, Detective Comics, and LOTDK.

Like Spidey? Buy Amazing Spider-Man

Like Superman? Buy one of th dozen comics they have for him

Most of the latest Uncanny X-Men storyarcs have been strictly three-parters, and I recall a few one-parters on Amazing S-M (even though those were indeed collected on Spidey's latest TPB, which is a doozy IMO).

But mostly I agree with you. TPBs are great to catch up if you missed several issues or stories, specially years-old ones. No way in hell I'll spend money for high-priced back issues if I can get a sweet collected edition, am I right?

But with all the TPB rage this days, and the fact that most are low-priced (even with up to 30% discount on places like Amazon.com) I can understand people who go mostly for TPBs.

Guest JMA

Batman: Year One

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Any Swamp Thing ones (especially the ones by Alan Moore)

Guest JMA

Some more graphic novels you should check out:

Crisis on Infinite Earths - A very great TPB. It features fantastic cover art by Alex Ross. Plus, you get the awesome art of George Perez inside. And let's not forget Marv Wolfman.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? - Whatever Happened to the Superman BEFORE Byrne's reboot, but after Crisis? Find out in one of Alan Moore's many great works.

Kingdom Come - Based on Elliot S! Maggin's novel. Mark Waid and Alex Ross team up to deliever this visually stunning and meaningful story. Even a lot of pre-Crisis fans like this one.

Batman: Child of Dreams - Batman and manga? It's finally happened. Kia Asamiya (Silent Mobius) seemlessly merges the two mediums in this story.

There are also plenty of manga graphic novels out there as well (including Evangelion, Chobits, Love Hina, ect).

I think you have it the other way around, JMA. Maggin based the novel on the miniseries.

I loved Kingdom Come. A dark and violent future for the DC universe, and Captain Marvel was a fucking psycho badass.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

A note about Crisis, you need to know a SHITLOAD about comics to really get it.

If you're going to go the Alex Ross route, might I suggest a few then.

Marvels: Tells the story of living in the Marvel Universe. The main character is photographer Phil Sheldon, a man who learns, along with the rest of New York, how to deal with the new Superheroes in town. Good read, especially if you want to see very human takes on the Galactus invasion and the mutant crisis.

Earth X/Universe X: Think of this as "Kingdom Come" for the Marvel Universe, except this one is easier to follow (well it's still a headache, but at least there is some explanation involved). This story gives an interesting take on how ordinary people get extraordinary powers, how the Asgards and other Deitiys came into power, and tons of other mysteries of the Marvel Universe.

And now for something completly different:

100 Bullets: This series is the shit! I'm telling you, you read this, you won't put it down. It starts out as the story of a man who offers people a suitcase with a gun, 100 Bullets, and evidence on whoever screwed them over actually did it. But it's got so many layers to it that you won't put it down.

But with all the TPB rage this days, and the fact that most are low-priced (even with up to 30% discount on places like Amazon.com) I can understand people who go mostly for TPBs.

A cheaper complete collection is seeming more worth it than hunting through back issue bins. Amazon.com has been a godsend to my comic book reading hobbies.

I also like the Marvel Must Have issues that collect stuff. Usually it's $3-4, and is much cheaper than buying the few issues they collect.

Basically, I like having more stuff to read more readily available, but on the other hand, this continual reprinting is making the value shitty. Because of that, and all the stupid graded/numbered comics, I really have stopped collecting them as an investment. I'm now more driven by the entertainment value.

Thanks for the info :headbang: . I think I'll pick up Miller and Moore written for the most part, but I'll be looking into the other ones when I get my promotion bonus next month. Any further books are welcome and I'll recommend one of my own Usagi Yojimbo. Has bunnies and samurai so you know it kicks ass.

To chime in, I've bought a lot of graphic novels recently. These are all good.

Batman: Killing Joke

Batman: Dark Knight Returns

Batman: Year One

Saga of the Swamp Thing

WATCHMEN WHICH YOU MUST BUY AND READ. MANY TIMES

V for Vendetta

As an aside I really like Spider-Man, what are some good TPBs? DO they have a Death of Gwen Stacey TPB?

I'd say buy the Maxx TPB, but it's probably easier to buy the back issues, actually.

As an aside I really like Spider-Man, what are some good TPBs? DO they have a Death of Gwen Stacey TPB?

I want to say yes, but I've never seen it.

I'd like to throw out a Spidey Suggestion tho. Kurt Busiek's "Untold Tales of Spider-man". It deals with Spiderman when he was younger, and at the time (I believe it was out in '98) it was one of the better Spider-man books available.

There most certainly is, but it came out a couple of years ago so I'm not sure if it's still available. There's also a Spidey vs Green Goblin TPB (which I have) that covers from Goblin's early appearances to Gwen's death to Harry's (Goblin II) death, but unfortunately I haven't seen this one either anywhere anymore. Both aren't listed on Marvel.com but you can try Ebay or something.

As for other great Spidey TPBs, well there's a bunch of them! I already recommended Ultimate Spidey: Power and Responsibility, and there's almost the entire US-M run collected up to the "Venom" storyline, and all are highly recommended.

Regardind current Spider-Man, I can't give enough praise to the Best of Spider-Man Hardcover vol. 1. It covers J.M. Stracyznky (sp?) first storyarc with new villain Morlun up to the Sep. 11 acclaimed issue, some Tangled Web stories and a kick-ass retelling of a Marvel Team Up with Spidey, DareDevil and the Punisher. Buy this one now!

And finally, JMS's Amazing S-M run is collected in several (4?) TPBs up until AS-M #50 which is the nicely-done Peter/MJ reunion.

Hope this helped.

I have a quite old Spider-man tpb (I'm not sure how old it is, but it came out in at least the mid 80s) which has both stories mentioned in the above post, plus one about Colonel Jameson getting superpowers from spores he encountered in space, a Rhino story and an Electro one. Not sure if that's the one you're talking about. It's just called The Amazing Spider'man, and the concept is Stan Lee's favorite stories.

I heard that Spider-man: Blue was good, but alas I haven't read it.

That's not the one I have. Mine is just Spidey vs Goblin stories and I'm pretty sure it came out in the 90s.

I haven't read Spider-Man: Blue either, but I might wait for the softcover version since it's only available as a hardcover.