TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wrestlingbs

Futurama ends

Guest wrestlingbs

Tonight is the last episode of Futurama. After 5 seasons and numerous premptions by the NFL, Matt Groening's other cartoon show went out with little fanfare or even advertisement (which is strange since they could have at least advertised during the summer season). Yet Futurama gained a big cult following over the years and I found it to be much less stale and a lot more funny at times than The Simpsons. The last episode (which they made knowing that they probably wouldn't make another) was pretty good, and at least I know I can watch reruns on cable.

:watches: Ah, Dr. Zoidberg, you're so poor...

I love the show and It's sad that it really was f'd over so bad by Fox. I already have the first Dvd set. I must say that I enjoy the Dvds much more than when it was on TV. But on the bright side Season 2 is almost or already out and there is the video game coming soon.

To demonstrate how fucked over this show was, I thought it was cancelled years ago. And just as I realize it's still on, it gets taken off for real. Ah well. I'm finding I enjoy the dvds more as well.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

That sucks. I had no idea. I watched it, but I really didn't pay that much attention. Did Fry and Lila hook up? I know it was going in that direction. The last thing I saw was him playing that, thing. But Lila was deaf from Bender.

Guest wrestlingbs
That sucks. I had no idea. I watched it, but I really didn't pay that much attention. Did Fry and Lila hook up? I know it was going in that direction. The last thing I saw was him playing that, thing. But Lila was deaf from Bender.

The Devil (well, Robot Devil) forced Fry to give up his hands or Leela gets forced to marry the Devil. Fry goes back to playing, and sucks quite a bit at it. Everyone leaves and Zoidberg buys 8 newspapers for no reason. Fry's about to leave, but Leela asks him to stay and finish it for her. He plays, and it shows a crude drawing of Fry and Leela kissing and then walking away together, infering that's what will happen.

The episode wasn't the funniest one I've seen, but it had it's moments. Especially when Zoidberg cheers Fry on:

Zoidberg: You're talent is in your heart. Play, and it will come out!

:Fry plays, he does terrible:

Zoidberg: You stink! Get off the stage!

Guest JaKyL25

:cheers:

Cheers to arguably the greatest show of the '00s!

May you live a long and prosperous life in re-runs!

I greatly enjoy the show, but I never seemed to watch it on FOX. I also thought it had been cancelled, or something.

I love how they can randomly make up whatever shit they need to suit the episode, like how they'll mention that a supervillian was once elected mayor, or they'll talk about some alien invasion or some odd shit like that. And Zoidberg rules all.

"I found this shell in the same dumpster I threw my old shell in, only this one had a raccoon inside! Dinner AND a new home!"

Guest HBK16

Fuck and I missed it. I loved that show. I thought it was much more entertaining that the Simpsons a lot of the time.

I read an interview with Matt Groening a few months ago where he slammed FOX for their handling of Futurama. Basically, he said that when the Simpsons first came on FOX stayed out of the way and let it become a success, but now that FOX is a more established network they wouldn't handle Futurama the same way. Groening would get memos from the higher-ups at FOX that would contradict each other. (one would say "too much Bender" and another would then say "make Bender the lead character" and shit like that).

Having said that though, Futurama didn't always entertain me, even though I'm an absolutely huge Simpsons mark. I liked it more because it was created by Groening than because I actually enjoyed it.

I actually like Futurama but its not even close to the Simspons on the timeline (Season wise..ie, the 3rd Season of Simpsons vs the 3rd Season of Futurama)

And it was a hard show to get into since most of the time the eps got shifted around and what not because of football. Had Fox cared about it enough, they could have moved it to another timeslot. Same goes for Family Guy. Thursday night was probably the worst night to put that on.

And lately, aside from 24, Fox has been nothing but crap. And their fall lineup looks like more crap. Fox is eventually going to have the problems that ABC had once Millionaire fizzled out when American Idol/Joe Millionaire fizzle (probably 1 more AI and 2 more JM's). Their ratings were significantly bouyed by those two shows and they didn't do anything to get new shows this fall, they just decided to rehash them both again for another year.

FOX also gave Futurama a horrible 7PM timeslot on Sundays and then complained that the show didn't have suitable content for that timeslot. The second X-Mas episode got delayed over a year because FOX refused to allow it to air.

That sucks.  I had no idea.  I watched it, but I really didn't pay that much attention.  Did Fry and Lila hook up?  I know it was going in that direction.  The last thing I saw was him playing that, thing.  But Lila was deaf from Bender.

Sort of. Lila asked Fry to finish his opera, which ended with a crudely drawn version of Lila and Fry kissing and walking off into the sunset together.....

FOX is being extremely stupid about this. Apparently the Futurama DVD sales are going well, and there's a video game coming out. Now, I realize that they cancelled the show a while ago, and any "new" episodes that were aired were already in the can from a while back.. but seriously, you'd think that judging by the success and attention that the series is getting now, they'd try to revive it and bring it back.

*sigh*

I didn't know Futurama was still on--I assumed it was cancelled since Cartoon Network was showing episodes. I guess that's just old eps in syndication. =/

I did like last night's "See you on another network" opening. Gives you some hope to the rumours of it having new episodes (or movies) done for CN or direct to DVD.

Also, Zoidberg's line was "Your music is bad and you should feel bad"

Last night's episode was a HORRIBLE way to end the show. Fry never actually got Leela. Leela just said that she wanted to hear the ending of the musical, but she never actually said that she loved Fry.

It's also sucky, because it's been built since the FIRST EPISODE that Leela and Fry would fall in love. And we never got that conclusion. It's one of the most disappointing series finales in T.V. history IMO right next to Sam and Diana not falling in love with each other in the final episode of "Cheers".

Guest wrestlingbs
Last night's episode was a HORRIBLE way to end the show. Fry never actually got Leela. Leela just said that she wanted to hear the ending of the musical, but she never actually said that she loved Fry.

It's also sucky, because it's been built since the FIRST EPISODE that Leela and Fry would fall in love. And we never got that conclusion. It's one of the most disappointing series finales in T.V. history IMO right next to Sam and Diana not falling in love with each other in the final episode of "Cheers".

I think it was implied that Leela and Fry would get together, since the entire episode was built around Fry trying to get Leela to like him and Leela liking Fry.

Besides, Matt Groening said in an interview in Cinescape magazine that for the last episode wouldn't close the book on Futurama, but wouldn't be open-ended either.

I didn't know Futurama was still on--I assumed it was cancelled since Cartoon Network was showing episodes. I guess that's just old eps in syndication. =/

It was cancelled - technically. Cancelled, as in they stopped making any episodes a while back, yet Fox had a series of unreleased episodes "in the can" that were shown up until Sunday.

The entire "Season 5" of Futurama was just unaired episodes from Season 4.

FOX treated the show badly but I'm glad they at least allowed the show to finish up the remaining, completed episodes.

Guest JacK

I liked it heaps, and I thought it was really funny, until, that is, I read the review of it in the local paper. Whatever series there currently showing in Australia, the guy wrote about it that he 'thought he really liked the show, but then took him a while to realise that he didn't actually laugh during it anymore'

And now I can see that that's exactly whats been happening in these ones that their airing now here; but those ones ^up^ there seem a bit better.

But the first two seasons (or the first two seasons which were shown in Australia, god knows how mongrelated the series' may have been, episodes all over the place; Seven suck; 10pm on Thursdays to 11pm on wednesdays to 9:30 or whatever on Tuesdays); the first two 'seasons' that I saw were GOLD! Kenny Banyon from Seinfeld GOLD!

The last two episodes of Futurama were on last night here in Britain. I am sad to see the show go, because for me its been on the whole better than most of the Simpson's episodes of the last three years.

Guest Ray

Certainly sad news.

I, like many apparently, stopped watching a while back, thinking it was cancelled.

I really need to get back into this show.

Anyone remember the episode where Bender was floating through space for some reason, and had an entire miniature civilization living on his stomach? That was classic. They thought he was a god...but he accidentally kept killing people while trying to help them. :lol: