TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the pinjockey

PRIDE Total Elimination

Just wanted to have this thread to save the other one from results just in case people are seeing it later.

My few observations:

Ricco got screwed

Why do people get to wear gis (sic?)?

CroCop = MDK Murder Death Kill

Ricco did get screwed. He had total control of that fight.

Goodridge got his ass kicked. :lol:

Pretty good show overall. One of my favorite MMA events.

EDIT: Oh, and Cro-Cop is un-fucking-believable. That guy is getting the title soon.

I did enjoy the announcers trying to cover like "Well, uh, Noguiera was trying for submissions" then the other one just saying "You're reaching aren't you?".

Also, did it seem like they were playing up the UFC vs. Pride matchup a little ridiculously. Granted it is a solid storyline, but they were trumping up Liddell vs. Overeem as the biggest match on the card and nobody is going to buy that.

I liked the show alot.....LAdies and gentlemen...if you saw the show tonight, then you saw one of the biggest bullshit decisions ever in any type of fighting event. Ricco Rodriguez got absolutely ROBBED tonight. It sucks when politics are involved in an event like tonight. I'm almost positive they gave Nogiera the win because they may be trying to build him up again for a big fight with Cro Cop or a rematch with Fedor.

Speaking of Cro Cop, the fuckin guy is unreal and i don't know if anyone can beat him right now in the world. Sakuraba got his ass served against Wandy, I think its time to call it quits for Sak. Gary Goodridge needs to go to as his performance tonight was pretty damn pathetic. I cant remember when the guy last won a fight.

I see Rampage vs. Silva or Liddell vs. Silva in the finals, and anyone else think that Ricco was doing his best Mark Kerr impression? Anyone that's seen Kerr lately will know what im talking about. Great card though

The UFC vs PRIDE thing was pretty stupid. I wouldn't really consider Overeem a true PRIDE veteren.

Did anyone else like this new announcer MUCH better than Steve Quatros? I thought he called the action much better, and we didn't have to hear the words "bombs" every two seconds.

I am curious though why are people allowed to wear gis? It seems that anything that is not a part of your body, that you could choke your opponent with shouldn't be anywhere near the fight.

I thought he was solid during the matches, the between match stuff just made me hate him though. Hopefully he was just trying too hard and will be better next time in those segments.

Yeah. I was a little shocked when he called Overeem "Good looking" though.

So what do the semi's look like? I'm guessing Liddell vs Rampage and Silva vs Yoshida, just because it will give Chuck a harder style to fight, and Yoshida could be "avenging" Sak's loss.

Guest HungryJack

Respect for the tradition I would assume. I personally think it would be tremendously disrespectful to not allow someone to wear a gi

I loved this show. I like seeing Overeem get punked, and though I hate Ricco , he did indeed get robbed. Fat fuck.

I felt SO sorry for Vov, though, after seeing him get dropped like the proverbial sack of potatoes.

I thought he was solid during the matches, the between match stuff just made me hate him though.  Hopefully he was just trying too hard and will be better next time in those segments.

Yeah. I was a little shocked when he called Overeem "Good looking" though.

So what do the semi's look like? I'm guessing Liddell vs Rampage and Silva vs Yoshida, just because it will give Chuck a harder style to fight, and Yoshida could be "avenging" Sak's loss.

I think during the interview with Lidell they mentioned that if he won he drew Silva/Sak winner.

Guess they are hoping for a big Rampage/Silva final.

I was just checking PRIDE rules, and they state that if a fight goes to a decision, the winner is determined by who made the most attempts to end the fight.

If those ARE the rules, that the Nog victory would make a little more sense. However, I thought Busta made more attempts to finish the fight then Rampage, although Rampage had control.

Either way, someone got screwed.

People over at sherdog are saying that Yoshida's knee injury looked suspect. We couldn't really see the knee, so who knows. Either way, he'll either pull out of the tourny or he'll get murdered in the next round.

It also seemed like Rampage made attempts to do something and Busta would just sit down so I would hold that against him.

And if Ricco didn't have total control the whole time I might buy that. I do agree with the announcers talking during the match about standing them up more. Nobody was getting anything, but they would set them up back in the guard position over and over. Reset them once, if nothing happens stand them up.

That was... AWESOME.

I'm actually a lil bit in shock.

I loved this show.

Fedor vs. Goodridge was short but sweet. Fedors stand-up is 'unconventional' and really good and fast. Fedor is a monster.

Overeem vs. Liddell - action-packed with awesome stand-up and a disgusting finish (Overeem out on his feet). I think, dispite the loss, Alistair earned a lil respect from his aggressive fighting style and he really did take it to Chuck.

Rampage vs. Busta, IMO, was match of the night. I think Rampage won the fight and I WANT THIS REMATCH! Busta was very good standing, Rampages leg-kicks were surprising, Bustas ground work was sub-lime and Jackson showed a lot of smarts.

As for Ricco/Nog

Hey, what can I say...

this fight could very well go the full 20 minutes (where, of course, the decision will go to Nog),

Nog is PrideFC, Judges are PrideFC. They aren't going to corrupt their Nog/Fedor and Nog/CroCop matches... If it went to a decision Nog was going to win it no matter what, of course.

Yeah, Ricco won (I really enjoyed that fight too, the spoilers didn't do it justice) but you know... I could see how you could twist it to make it sorta seem like Nog won - he did set up a lot of submissions and though it looked like Ricco was aggressing the fight on the ground Nog was very active as well and standing Nog was advancing the fight.

Cro Cop vs. Vov... sick...sick...sick...sick...sick... Good lord that one replay on the kick...kick...kick...kick...kick... where it shook igors neck..neck... I loved it...

I really, really REALLY dug Yoshida/Tamura, it didn't have the technical mat work I expected the crowd was CRAZY for it and that added to the atmosphere. The dynamic between Tamura and Yoshida was great, Tamura really brought the fight to him, and it was really exciting.

Silva vs. Sak... I couldn't believe how hyped I was for this fight when it started. The quick fighting exchanges had me on my feet. The knockout was scary. SCARY.

Overall, I loved this show. The commentary was actually really good and Damon kept his end up of the bargan. For a first timer he did excellently. I would have prefered a lil more history and perspective like Quadros brought and a lil more attention towards the fights, but he did one thing that Quadros had trouble doing and that's keeping the conversation flowing, there was no silent moments and he didn't hurt the show like I thought it would. Him and Bas didn't have the same chemistry but at least they tried, the end "cut outs" had me on the floor.

This was definitely one of the best shows I've seen, ask me a month from now how it stands up and if it rivals UFC 43 (i think yes) and Pride 25 (could very well).

The whole submissions thing bothers me, because Ricco seemed to get out of them so damn easy. So basically they reward token attempts at submissions, just because they try them. Or just reward being a PrideFC fighter.

No sir I don't like it. But oh well.

What are the chances of Liddell winning this whole thing? (I have never seen him before this) And how big of a deal would it actually be if he won it all?

Just got done watching the show, only my second Pride show (saw the last one too), so here are my barely knowledgeble thoughts:

-Fedor vs. Goodridge: Fedor didn't give him anything here. The last fight against Fujita he looked a little vulnerable but he was dominant tonight. Bring on Cro Crop!

-Overheem vs. Liddel: This one went quicker than I thought it would. It seemed like Overheem held up well until Lidel just got those stiff shots in that knocked Overheem up against the ropes. After seeing him look weak at the last UFC show it was an important win for Lidel.

-Rampage vs. Murilio: Im suprised this one went the distance. Murilio totally held his own here, and I thought he was gonna win it with a couple of those traingles and sumbissions. Both guys looked good, could have gone either way.

-Rico vs. Nog: What the hell happened here?!? My first impression of Rico was that he was out of shape, but he totally dominated Nog who barely got off the ground. I have no idea how the decision went to Nog, let alone a unanimous one. This just reeks of a pro wrestling fix to set up a more intriguing match up...

-Cro Crop vs. Vov: Cro Crop is one scary dude. He looks like a ripped Lance Storm. That kick was insane. Bring on Fedor!

-Tamura vs. Yoshida: These 2 guys were just flying at each other! Like watching a cruiser wrestling match. Tons of energy. Ended with the choke, and I agree I dont see how they can allow the Gi (sp?) to be worn, since it gives a clear advantage. You could tell unlike the other ones these 2 guys just hated each other which helped the energy.

-Sakuraba vs. Silva: This was straight forward. Saku sounds like a huge babyface and even I was pulling for him, but Silva ended those hopes quickly with a vicious punch.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show a lot. A little unsettled by the Rico/Nog decision but liked everything else. Can't wait to see the end of the tournament and Fedor/Cro Crop in a true dream match. Just some probably obviously thoughts from a new fan.

Edited by Slapnuts00

Thats where I have a problem then.

Jackson won a split decision even though he barely won the last two rounds and the only attempts at ending it both came from Bustamante in the first...

And then the very next fight they give it to Nog for what they didn't give to Murilo.

I can't say as I care that much though...I hate Rico.

No sir I don't like it. But oh well.

What are the chances of Liddell winning this whole thing? (I have never seen him before this) And how big of a deal would it actually be if he won it all?

It would be a big deal to Dana White because one of his fighters will go into the rival organization and win their tournament......also means $250,000 to him as well

-Sakuraba vs. Silva: This was straight forward. Saku sounds like a huge babyface and even I was pulling for him, but Silva ended those hopes quickly with a vicious punch.

fan.

I am like you (only my second PRIDE) and I agree you can see Sak was the babyface. Silva just looks like such a fucking neanderthal that you just can't cheer him.

I was going to say that too.

It can be a disadvantage just as easily.

I don't think that knee thing was a work at all. I swear I saw discoloration when they pulled his pant leg up...and why would he fall down in the middle of the fight after an offensive kick?

If you think the Gi is an advantage for whom ever wears it, watch Sakuraba vs. Royce Gracie from the last Grand Prix.

I agree.... a GI is definitely a big disadvantage in fights. It allows the opponent a grip on you, and you can have your top pulled over your head......also, when they try a submission you wont be able to get out as easily because of the sweat factor....they can get a good grip on you.

Cro Cop had the better KO...

BUT I'm taking Silva on Saku...

Any shred of the Sakuraba legend was taken away forever tonight. SUre the previously losses (to Silva and others) dented it...but as soon as the chance to beat Silva arose...there was that last little bit to be crushed.

and Silva did it.