TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the pinjockey

PRIDE Total Elimination

Questions wise.

Fedor solved his problem. In the Fujita fight he waited around too long, he played with Kazy like a cat and paid for it. This time he was all business and had to hit HARD for Gary to be completely thrown out of the loop.

Liddell took a lot of punishment from Overeem and kept at it and got the knock-out. He didn't look _bad_ at all and showed composure and picked his spot. With Couture he couldn't get past Randy advancing the fight as he did, in this fight he was able to fair well against a better striker.

Silva was fucking FAST! Did you see those combinations he was throwing? Sak threw 2 and Silva threw like 5. Sak kept going for the takedown and Silva denied him. The knees seemed to hold up well to me.

The only question surrounding Cro Cop was "how fast".

The only real fighter he beat has been Herring, and Herring was jumping around like he was on speed or something in that fight. I don't think Cro Cop should get a title fight with Fedor, I think Nog should get his rematch first.

I'd be with you on that normally, especially since he lost by judge's decision, but Nog didn't look to great in the ring tonight. I think the bigger match for the heavyweight division is Fedor/Cro-Cop.

I'd save Cro Cop vs. Fedor a lil while longer. Have Cro Cop beat one more guy (Sapp?) and have Fedor/Nog at Final Conflict (that's it, right?).

You already have the potential Silva/Rampage match at FC, save the other well built up storyline for the Vegas show :) It will also set up the Heavyweight Grand Prix.

Nog? Nog lost to a fat and out of shape Rico. I agree about Crocop not being tested but at the same time you could say that he hasn't given anyone that opportunity. Being a K-1 fighter, his sprawl comes into question. But if he knocks you out before you get him down so be it.

And on the same token, what had Fedor done before being given the title shot at Nog?

I say Nog v. Ricco rematch, let's try Crocop v. Dan Henderson and just to give Fedor a match throw Coleman his way in a non title match.

Winners of Nog v. Ricco and Crocop v. Henderson face off and the winner of that fight gets Fedor.

This way, Nog can truly establish that he can beat Ricco, Crocop may actually get tested with a wrestler, and you have a good drawing match in Fedor/Coleman (another old guard guy in a similar vane to Big Daddy that Fedor can go over to establish his new dominance.

Speaking of Dan Henderson is he injured or what? I would have really liked to see him in the Grand Prix as a MW.

The best bet for DS is to have Silva vs. Liddell and Rampage vs. Yoshida. Simply because it's more likely for Rampage to grapple with Yoshida and there's the chance for a submission. Against Silva Yoshida is FUCKED. He couldn't even handle TAMURA'S pressure. Liddell was the obvious choice looking at the line-up, but after tonight and how poorly Yoshida handled Tamuras strikes, Pride should be worried about putting him in there with Liddell.

Unless they work it.

Say, have Liddell job in exchance for Pride talent going to the UFC.

If UFC hadn't put everything into Lidell before his loss to Couture and this wasn't the only way to save face for Chuck, I would definately see a work being done. That said the chance of the bragging rights Dana White would have if Chuck wins could overcome almost anything that Pride could offer.

Nog at least has a respectible record and as former champ deserves a rematch.

Fedor had experience in RINGS. Plus convincingly beat Herring - who went the distance with Nog. Yes, Cro Cop did as well, but that was AFTER Herring lost to Fedor (stock goes down).

I'd say set Cro Cop up with Coleman (which I doubt the Hammer would take, but it's worth a shot).

As a newbie, I don't know if I would buy a CoCop/Coleman fight. Coleman/Frye bored the piss out of me. Granted I will buy it for the tourney so why waste a good match, but I still don't like the match.

But I still can't legitamately buy Nog getting a shot after that match with Rico.

I still like my way better.

At Final Conflict

Fedor v. Coleman

Rico v. Nog

Crocop v. Henderson

The two semis and the final

and one other match.

At the show after that

If both Crocop and Nog win like they should, give us them for a #1 contenders. At the same show you could also throw in Jackson v. Silva for the belt. Assuming they don't do something like put the title on the line if both make the finals. Which they shouldn't because Jackson holding the #1 contender is an instant rematch right there no matter how the finals go.

As for Fedor, I don't think anything was answered about his chin. Sure, he was smarter and more aggressive but how could he handle a big blow.

Silva's knees held up okay for 5 minutes. Give him a real test. I think he is fine, but I would still like it confirmed.

As for Chuck Liddell, I like the guy, but in my opinion he seemed a bit shackey tonight. He was once again very passive and seemed like he won on a lucky, albeit well timed punch. Now it could be argued that he was sitting back and waiting for the right moment, and that very well indeed could be true. But I don't think that one punch and those three minutes answered anything.

Just re-watched Tamura/Yoshida, and I just can't buy it. Yoshida gets up and walks to his corner after the victory, then starts limping a little, then it gets so bad he lies down and starts moaning in pain.

If it was real, and Yoshida does advance, they won't put him with Chuck. They'll give Chuck the hardest road possible.

I really think Cro-Cop's next fight should be for the title, only for marketing purposes. Just think if Cro-Cop had one more fight before his title shot, and he lost. People would lose interest in him after that.

EDIT: BTW, Bob Sapp on LENO~ tomorrow night!

Edited by Angle-plex

In the Nog pre-fight interview, he mentioned training with Peter Aerts and how they were trading knowledge as Aerts was looking to get into MMA.

How can you not see Nog (7-1 in Pride) getting a fight with Fedor, but you can see Cro Cop (2-0 under Pride rules) getting it. Hype much? I mean, I know his fight was impressive (against a MAYBE top 15 fighter, arguable top 20) and I know Nogs wasn't (against an arguable top 10 fighter - I think we all forget that Ricco beat Randy Couture not-so-long-ago) but lets not let that cloud reality. Cro Cop is on a roll, he looks indestructible, but in terms of standings - Nog, the former champ, deserves his rematch more than Cro Cop deserves his title shot.

And how does Dan Henderson play into this? He's barely a middleweight, let alone heavyweight (the Nog fight was purely based on their RINGS history). If you want to pair Cro Cop up against a wrestler, it should be Coleman - or maybe Randleman (thus setting up a possible Coleman match in the future).

I think Fedor proved tonight that he learned from his Fujita right and that he wouldn't give the same opportunities to Filipovic as he did Kazy. It's amazing how hype can effect minds. Let Cro Cop fight someone in the top 5 before giving him the title shot.

Now don't get me wrong, I would fucking love to see Cro Cop vs. Fedor, but I don't want it blown so quickly.

Guest Choken One

Mmm...Cro-Cop is better then MIRKO FLIPOVIC!

If they want to be HUGE in america...give them robot sounding names...

What? You know it's true

Robot Names Rule!

Guest BionicRedneck

Unfortunately, being from UK, I wont see this show for a while. Sounds awesome.

It's really odd how Silva has regained his "bad ass" status since getting KOd by Vitor and easily beat by Tito. Now the guy just looks unbeatable. I still think that if you take both Silva and Sak at their very best, Sak is the better fighter. He was never going to win this fight, though. I just hope he takes a full year off to recover from all his injuries etc.

Cro Cop is just a monster right now. He is just destroying everybody. I think he would beat Fedor, too.

Before last nights fight with Ricco, did I think Nog deserved a rematch with Fedor? Yes.

Now, I just can't justify giving Nog the title shot right after that Rico performance. I'm sure the plan was to feed someone to Nog so he could go over and then move onto a rematch with Fedor. Or even if they would have moved straight to a rematch I would have been happy with that. The fucked up by underestimating Ricco.

Variably, you could scrap my plan and move straight to the Nog-Crocop match and feed a Coleman to Fedor. Whoever would win that Nog-Crocop match would be the defenitive #1 contender.

In your scenario, your getting two to three matches. Nog v. Fedor, Crocop v. Nog/Fedor, and if Fedor loses one of those matches, a rematch v. Nog/Crocop.

With this #1's match, you get Nog v. Crocop, Nog/Crocop v. Fedor, build the loser of Nog/Crocop back up next show and then you get Nog/Crocop (the loser) v. Fedor/Nog/Crocop (whomever wins that Nog/Crocop v. Fedor title match). And if Fedor happens to lose one of those you bounce back with Fedor v. Nog/Crocop. Possible five if Fedor loses and you have a number one contenders match.

Basically 3 guys in a feud, with two matches (the match and the rematch) equals six matches. You've already had one match in the Nog v. Fedor I. Stretch out these other five.

Great show! Can't wait for the November show.

Fedor vs Goodridge: Domination by Fedor. For all the talk about Sak hanging it up, I think Goodridge needs to reevaluate why he still fights because it's obvious that he can't hang with any of the newer generation guys.

Lidell vs Overeem was pretty good. I think Lidell was a bit frustrated in the first minute because of Overeem's reach but once Lidell got inside, it was lights out.

Jackson vs Bustamente was telling in a way. I think Jackson was a bit humbled by this. He seemed to be a little more respectful throughout the night. (with the exception of Silva) I think Jackson looked mortal tonight and was lucky to have gotten out with a win.

Ricco was robbed. What's new? There isn't anything I can say about this that hasn't already been said. If the criteria was who went for the most stuff, then there is an argument that Nog won. However Ricco took Nog down everytime he wanted and seemed more in control of the fight (perhaps because he had a 50 ib. weight advantage) and was usually on top in the guard. Nog did go for more submissions though.

Mirko Cro Cop 0wns your fucking face!!! Damn he's dominant right now. However don't let the smooth taste fool you. Igor was outclassed and out matched. Mirko hasn't fought a top guy at the top of his game except Silva, which ended in a draw. However I will acknowledge that Cro Cop is on fire and if that sweeping kick connects, I don't care who you are, you're getting knocked the fuck out.

Tamura vs Yoshida was a very good fight. I was with some people who are versed in jiu jitsu and judo and they commented that Yoshida wants to get Tamura on the ground so he could lock in a submission. Lo and behold, that's what happened. While the takedown wasn't vicious, the gi choke was textbook. I don't know what to make of the injury. I feel for Yoshida cause he's in trouble against the other 3 GP contestents that are left.

Sakuraba vs Silva. Man. Silva looked like a fucking animal. The thing about Silva is how quick he recovers from attempted takedowns. He recovers so quickly and starts "throwing bombs" (ode to Quadros) Just a dominating performance.

As for the new announcer, he was acceptable. With some more experience, he could actually become a very good announcer. I still wonder if Quadros would've added to the show or not. But this new guy is acceptable with an upside about him. Just needs to cut out the goofy voices shit.

A fun show overall.

BTW, NoCalMike, you owe me $10.00 for the show, ass.

Remember Sapp at the K-1 GP:

He wins his opening match, but is "injured" in the process and withdraws from the torunament. Thusly, he remains unbeaten and stays strong in the minds of the Japanese fans.

My prediction: The Gracies get their wish as they get a family member to replace Yoshida in the 2nd round.

BTW, NoCalMike, you owe me $10.00 for the show, ass.

How about I just give you $20 in November at that PPV, cause you know there is NO WAY IN HELL, you aren't buying that one.

Wrong, NoCal.

Neek's cousin was talking about ordering the show after yesterday. Either that or you need to get on the ball with that magic mechanical attachment that allows ppv channels to magically appear on the tv and get it up an running.

Just give up the cash, bitch!

Guest BionicRedneck

From DaMeltz:

"--Regarding the decision in the Ricco Rodriguez vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira match yesterday, I think there are a few factors that a lot of people are getting misconstrued. First off, there are different judging criteria in a UFC fight than a Pride fight. In a UFC fight, Rodriguez should have won. UFC judging is based on damage inflicted and physical domination. Both of those went to Rodriguez. UFC judging is also done round-by-round. Pride is judged based on, primarily, who is attempting to win the fight outright. That would have been Nogueira. He was trying submissions. Rodriguez, while on top and inflicting more physical damage, never tried one submission and his game plan was to avoid submissions. Realistically, the whole fight was a very technical stalemate. Another point overlooked is that in Pride, in a close fight, there is, in the rules, a scoring advantage to the lighter man if there is more than a 10 kilogram weight difference. Rodriguez came in at 119.5 kilograms and Nogueira at 106.4 kilograms. Also, the argument that this "should have been a split decision" and by not being a split decision shows Pride judges were favoring their fighter (and in a close competition, the home town judging element is the case in every sport with judges) shows a lack of understanding about judging. The judges do not talk over their picks. When the fight is over, they are immediately asked who wins, independently of each other. As it turned out, all three picked Nogueira. They all could have thought it was a 51-49 decision. If two judges had thought it was 80-20 in favor of Ricco and the other thought it was 51-49 Nogueira, it would be a split decision even though it may have been a one sided fight with one judge off. I've judged close fights before, and in this case, I can only speak of UFC. There was never an attempt, hint, or anything, of who they wanted to win, and I judged a show with some very important fights (including Bas Rutten vs. Tsuyoshi Kosaka which had Rutten not KO'd Kosaka, and they built the whole show and were planning on buiding the promotion around Rutten, he probably was losing the decision). Also, judging at ringside is very different from watching on television. The sound of blows does not come across nearly as well on television as it does live, so you don't get a full feeling of the degree of impact. Also, depending on where cameras (and for that matter the eyes of the judges as well) are focused, you will notice body damage differently. I've seen fights where the announcers talked about who they thought won (and I thought it was obvious they were wrong), and when the other guy won, people cried fix. In a close fight, and this was a close fight, crying about a decision is ridiculous. A lot of people were swayed by the announcing and if I was a judge, based on UFC rules which is what I was taught, I thought Rodriguez won as well. But looking at Pride criteria, the judges made a call. It may have even been the right call, but going through the criteria, it's a close call and in the main criteria, Nogueira would get the nod plus you have the weight edge advantage points. Even if it wasn't, nobody outright won that fight and while people can be disappointed, in a close fight, you have to accept that either man may win. This wasn't the first Lewis-Holyfield fight. "