TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the pinjockey

PRIDE Total Elimination

^ If you go by that logic (which I would agree with), then Busta should have beaten Rampage. He was the lighter man, and all Rampage did was try to avoid submissions.

So is ground n' pounding a guy into submission not a viable means of ending a match?

Ricco controlled the pace of that fight. Ricco put himself in a position (Nogueria's guard) because that's where he wanted to be. This gave Nog the opportunity to try those thousands of submissions he applied last night. Boy and he was oh so close many times. If Nog had attempted all the takedowns and such I think this would be a different story. However, Ricco dictated the fight. He shook off all of Nog's attempts with relative ease.

And one more question then. If you use the "he attempted to finish the fight more often argument" then can't you justifiably say that Nog beat Fedor in their fight?

Ricco v. Nog was like a pussy Fedor v. Nog fight. Ricco didn't hit as hard or as often but the fight has similar elements.

No it didn't. Fedor ROCKED Nogueira and legitimately had him in trouble on more than one occasion. Fedor was the aggressor in that fight, he tried to finish it on the ground, and made use of the opportunities given to him way better than Ricco did.

It did have similar elements in the sense that Nog did not control the pace of the fight at all. Fedor has superior striking skills and striking strength to Ricco. Ricco tried to fight a similar fight (apart from not wanting to stand and strike at all) but just didn't have the skills to do it. So yes, in my opinion it did have similar elements.

Ricco was by far the aggressor in their fight. And I think Ricco should be given some credit for throwing those knees. A 250 lb guy throwing knees is impressive. It's showing something.

Ricco controlled the fight the same way Fedor did. He just doesn't have the skills of a Fedor. However, Nog came no closer to getting Ricco to submit than he did Fedor. If Nog has these new found striking skills, why not keep it standing? Because he couldn't. He had to go down with Ricco. And applying a few half assed submission attempts when you get taken down shouldn't constitute a decision victory.

I loved those fat flying knees of Riccos :)

Ricco controlled the fight (which is something that is indicative of Nogueiras fights, as it's typical BJJ), but he didn't push the fight. He had the opportunities and he didn't make use of them. Nog had opportunities, and he did make use of them, Ricco just was able to stop them. Standing, Ricco was backing off more than he was advancing. The only elements that are similar was that Ricco was in Nogs guard, what he and Fedor did in it are different. Yes, Ricco was striking but he wasn't striking to finish it. Fedor knocked Nog silly on the mat and had it been most men they would have been out on the mat (he caught Nog on the chin like 3 straight times). Fedor kept constant on the ground, controlled and advanced on Nog several times. Two different fights.

Grabbed this off the Sherdog boards

Fightsport is reporting:

Vanderlei Silva vs. Hidehiko Yoshida

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson vs. Chuck Liddell

Other fights that PRIDE wants to put together for the November card are:

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic (heavyweight title bout)

Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira vs. Josh Barnett (this one and the one above were confirmed by Nog)

Heath Herring vs. Kazuyuki Fujita

That's 5 matches, plus the finals for the GP makes 6. I don't see why PRIDE would include 4 to 5 Gracie vs Japan matches in addition to the above. I could see Takase vs a Gracie for a spot in the GP plus possibly another Gracie in a fight, but that's it. 8 Matches right their.