TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

What Ever Happened To Marty Jannetty

OK...I was just wondering, after his run with the New Rockers, and his brief WCW run...what ever happened to Marty Jannetty?

Is there bad blood between him and Vince? Is he retired from the ring? What's the story here.

Was thinking this because I thought it would be funny for, whenever Michaels finally retires, Jannetty comes back and manages whoever retires Michaels.

Jannetty is still wrestling on the indepedant scene to my knowledge, going pretty much anywhere that will have him. I know he had a brief run in ECW and was featured on the Heroes of Wrestling ppv, tagging with Tommy Rogers against the SST, after the WCW run.

Guest BAR

I always liked Marty better than Shawn. He really shows how good he was on Survivor Series 1995. The best match of the show, in fact. He was still a real talent in the mid, maybe even the late 90's.

I always liked Marty better than Shawn. He really shows how good he was on Survivor Series 1995. The best match of the show, in fact. He was still a real talent in the mid, maybe even the late 90's.

Yeah...

If he didn't destroy his life like I heard that he did, I'm sure he would have been right up there with Michaels in the main event scene.

Guest Choken One

Chad Austin.

That's what pretty much killed Marty from ever being a Main eventer coupled with his Addictions...

Still...despite not getitng the push he deserves, I would get a kick out of Jannetty returning to manage people until he found one who could "retire" Michaels.

Of course, for that to work, WWE would have to remember the history of Jannetty and Michaels...they did on the DVD, but that's about it.

Chad Austin.

That's what pretty much killed Marty from ever being a Main eventer coupled with his Addictions...

Chuck Austin, actually. Chad Austin was an ECW jobber in the mid 90's.

Chad Austin.

Chuck Austin, actually. Chad Austin was an ECW jobber in the mid 90's.

It was actually Chris.

WWF @ Tampa, FL - SunDome - December 11, 1990

WWF Superstars taping:

The Rockers defeated Chris Austin & the Genius when Jannetty pinned Austin with the Rocker Dropper; Austin prepared for the move incorrectly, resulting in a broken neck; Austin sued the WWF in a highly publicized case in the mid 1990s

According to HBK's shoot, Marty had a talent for burning bridges which is probably why he didn't go further in his WWF career. For example (and again, this is according to Shawn), instead of coming to Vince with a problem and trying to work it out - Marty would blow up and talk about leaving the company. Both of them were into drugs and alcohol back then.

Here's an interesting story...

A kid about 19 yrs old that lives down the block from me works the independents here in NJ, under the name Little Ricky. About a year ago, Jannetty was working the same show as him, and they actually ended up in a match, where Ricky pinned him.

Guest Askewniverse

From an archive report at The Observer:

If you are ordering a full-term subscription, you can pick out any two classic Observers of the past. We have detailed coverage of every major news story dating back to 1991, and just let us know the story you are most interested in and we'll send the issues with the best coverage. A list of some of the most notable issues:

*April 11, 1994 (Missy Hiatt sexual harassment lawsuit against WCW)

*April 25, 1994 (Jesse Ventura lawsuit goes to jury vs. WWF)

*May 9, 1994 (Chuck Austin lawsuit settled for record amount)

*June 20, 1994 (Hulk Hogan WCW debut)

*August 1, 1994 (the most detailed coverage anywhere of Vince McMahon steroid trial)

*September 12, 1994 (Boris Malenko story)

*November 14, 1994 (Randy Savage quits WWF)

*November 28, 1994 (Coverage of the biggest womens wrestilng show of all-time)

Edited by Askewniverse

Guest Choken One

Ummm...Guys Chuck and Charles are the same name...

It's like Dick/Richard or Bill/William

Guest Cheese Is Our Friend

Marty has been seen getting SQUASHED on those XWF ppvs. Despite the fact that they are 2 years old, its sad seeing him get little to no offence in his matches.

Guest Trivia247

favorite line from the wrestling channels on IRC

"Jenetty is walking a highway somewhere with a sign that reads will wrestle for food."

I'm sure the Rockers' feud would have been a lot more memorable had Marty not left the company every few months. That could have been a great match for WrestleMania VIII.

- Rockers break up in January; Marty leaves

- Marty comes back in October; feuds with HBK until the Rumble; Marty leaves

- Marty shows up unannounced on Raw in May; beats HBK for IC title; drops it back 3 weeks later; PWI's MOTY was his match with HBK that July on Raw

But it was too little too late since, by that time, the rivalry was dead and Marty quickly fell into JTTS status.

...And on a side note, I don't see what the big deal is about the July match-up. From the few house show bouts I've seen of the two on video, the 2nd Raw match was one of the least exciting bouts they had in comparison. Of course it's been 10 years since I've seen it so maybe my memory is off.

Guest Your Olympic Hero

I'd like to see Marty back again. He was somewhat entertaining even in his last WCW run against Saturn, Martel, Booker, etc. Too bad he's a crackhead.

While we're on the subject, is there any place where I could find a copy of the Jannetty-Michaels match from 5/17/93 (where Jannetty wins the IC title)? I think WWF released it on a home video once, but I'm not sure.

While we're on the subject, is there any place where I could find a copy of the Jannetty-Michaels match from 5/17/93 (where Jannetty wins the IC title)? I think WWF released it on a home video once, but I'm not sure.

Monday Night Raw: Prime Cuts - One of the best Coliseum videos the WWF ever released.

Guest Graham R Tripp

I had the privilage of reffing Jannetty on the 1999 PsychoticSlam tour of Australia that also included Chris Candido and Sabu.

Infact on the first night of the tour Jannetty and Candido had a fantastic old school match. On the second night of the tour Jannetty carried Australian wannabee Vulkan to a great match. On the third night Candido did a walkout on the promoter and Jannetty filled in for him against Sabu and carried the crazy bastard to great match, up there with the best match of the tour.

On the rest of the tour Jannetty carried TnT, Gothic Knight and Super Dragon to fantastic matches.

I reckon Super Dragon would credit Jannetty to making him a better wrestler than he was at the time.

And he was a great party guy as well :cheers: