• U2
    • Weezer
    • Nirvana
    • Tool
    • Pearl Jam
    • Metallica
    • Pink Floyd
    • Led Zepplin

Radio Head is made for pretentious whiny college kids.

Never heard that one before! There are annoying Radiohead fans who consider them martyers of the modern world but then there's equally annoying Radiohead haters like your good self armed with the same three arguments as to why they suck = (I don't like the kind of people who like them etc). Dedicated fans of a particular band are always going to proclaim them musical gods or whatever but if we take into account critical standing as a more appropriate measurement of determining an 'overrated' band we might actually get some interesting opinions and arguments going. Post-OK Computer Radiohead doesn't interest me but their earlier period of that album and The Bends (when they weren't afraid to write a song with a good tune) was superb IMO so no overrated vote from me. Come to think of it this a really silly topic although if a 'favourite TSM artists' version popped up i'd vote for Elvis Costello in a second. Never liked his facial hair you see.

Beck should have made the list

If Beck was on the list, he most likely would have gotten my vote instead of Nirvana. Both are painfully overrated, so it's a tough call.

Why would Beck make the list? Odelay was in 1996, and since then he's been overshot by the Flaming Lips as the quirky indie but also accepted by the mainstream rock artist. Rolling Stone adored Sea Change, but that wasn't really a huge trend, and very few people gave much of an extensive crap about Midnite Vultures or Mutations.

I don't consider Beck to be overrated. His first two albums were REALLY good, and then he turned to crap after that. The first two albums were deservent of all the praise they received, but the rest of his discography was weak and was called on that.

Guest two_tuff_toddy

Pearl Jam - I couldn't live with myself if they didn't get at least one vote.

2nd would probably be U2 or Radiohead

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Radiohead by far. I don't like any of their songs at all.

Nirvana may be overrated but that's only because so many people call them the greatest band ever. Which they weren't. They were A great band though if not one of the greatest of that time period.

Guest Choken One
KISS

power ballads and theatrics...blah :throwup:

Kiss has NEVER been known as a band...

So thus you can't call them "Over-rated"...they always sold themselfs as the best rock show in the world...and quite frankly...they live up to that side of the hype.

Personally, I don't think Tool gets ENOUGH credit. Four straight incredibly good albums?

It's not hard to do when you spend 5 years recording the damn things.

Tool hardly spends 6 months in the studios, most of them take time off with family and do side projects.

I don't understand how Tool or Radiohead are pretentious really. I suppose some people only have an attention span of about three seconds, and if they don't hear a hook lyric or some chugging or a solo in that period, they get bored and the ol' head starts to hurt.

Tool is my favourite band listed, I like Floyd and RH well enough, my vote goes to U2 and Pearl Jam. I will never, ever, understand what either ever had to offer to music.

Tool is pretentious because the songs are, on average, twice the length they SHOULD be. It's okay music, but nothing truly mindblowing. Very good tunes, mind you, but nowhere near what everybody says they are. People make them out to be one of the greatest bands ever, heavy music or not, and I think they're just very good. Deep Purple > Tool.

Dammit, Deep Purple doesn't get ENOUGH credit.

Zeppelin, hands-fucking-down. I still have yet to hear a good Zeppelin song, because everything they have recorded is always 2 or 3 minutes too long, and the rest of the song just is the same 2 or 3 riffs being played while Plant sang about sex and drugs.

*ding, ding, ding!*

My vote, too. Yeah, you had "Stairway to Heaven," but then you had nearly everything else. "Whole Lotta Love" is one of my most loathed songs ever. The rest all just sound basically to be the same stuff, sometimes Page would be sawing away on his guitar with the violin bow (cough--gimmick--cough), but bleh. I understand they're influential, but I don't get it myself.

i'd say the doors, cause some of morrison's lyrics are just horrible ("the blue bus is calling us, driver where you taking us...ride the snake to the lake..."), and they didn't do anything that the velvet underground hadn't done before and done better.

Guest El Satanico

The utter insanity of Jim Morrison is the main appeal of The Doors to me.

If he was a sane man that wrote sane lyrics, The Doors wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Tool is pretentious because the songs are, on average, twice the length they SHOULD be. It's okay music, but nothing truly mindblowing. Very good tunes, mind you, but nowhere near what everybody says they are. People make them out to be one of the greatest bands ever, heavy music or not, and I think they're just very good. Deep Purple > Tool.

Dammit, Deep Purple doesn't get ENOUGH credit.

The songs are too long? There's only one track on Opiate that's over five minutes. Lateralus has some longer songs, but that's only because it's put together more like a progressive rock album. All four of their major releases sound completely different from one another, with track lengths ranging from less than a minute to over ten.

Tool skunks Deep Purple. Ritchie Blackmore was a better guitarist, but Tool put out better albums.

Guest Ray

Thank god for the anti-Radiohead posts~!

People go on and on about how "great" they are, how "innovative" they are.

I can't stand them.

Radiohead easily.

Sorry, Agent, but Perfect Strangers owns everything Tool has ever released. How can you go wrong with that album? "Knocking On Your Back Door," "Gypsy's Kiss," 'Perfect Strangers," "The Son Of Alerik"...no. To say Tool is better is preposterous.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Boo-urns. Opiate rocks out just as hard, Undertow is darker and creepier, Aenima is more diverse, and Lateralus is just put together better. Lead-in tracks, silky smooth transitions, different movements..oh yeah.

I maintain, Deep Purple would win a guitar solo contest, but Tool's more than just a sum of their parts. Comparing the two seems kind of goofy anyway, though, considering Deep Purple is straightforward hard rock bordering on fledgling metal, and Tool is so much more than that. Besides, I'd take Maynard's harmonies over Ian Gillian's strained squeals any day..and I LIKE Deep Purple.

Guest MissMattitude
I don't understand how Tool or Radiohead are pretentious really. I suppose some people only have an attention span of about three seconds, and if they don't hear a hook lyric or some chugging or a solo in that period, they get bored and the ol' head starts to hurt.

Tool is my favourite band listed, I like Floyd and RH well enough, my vote goes to U2 and Pearl Jam. I will never, ever, understand what either ever had to offer to music.

I like Tool and Jeff Buckley but absolutely hate Radiohead. It's nothing to do with having a short attention span... there is just something I don't like about Radiohead.

AGENT OF OBLIVION is officially the greatest poster on this board, for what he is saying about Tool. Because saying that freakin' DEEP PURPLE is better then Tool is the craziest thing I have ever heard. And that you can argue it without laughing makes me respect you too much.

Guest MissMattitude
where'd the jeff buckley mention come from?

Because he's also a very mellow artist.

And like Chave said, he's always worth a mention.

Blasphemy. Tool is the 2nd greatest band of all time (with Deep Purple not being the first).

When I am king, you will be first against the wall.

......oops, that was a Radiohead lyric.

I vote Radiohead, because while I like their music in general, they're beginning to annoy me, especially by putting out a politically-themed mediocre album in "Hail to the Thief".