• U2
    • Weezer
    • Nirvana
    • Tool
    • Pearl Jam
    • Metallica
    • Pink Floyd
    • Led Zepplin

I vote Radiohead, because while I like their music in general, they're beginning to annoy me, especially by putting out a politically-themed mediocre album in "Hail to the Thief".

It wasn't really a politically themed album, as a really crap title. The only song I'd call political on any level was "I Will".

What kind of a fuckass would overrated The Tragically Hip? They barely get any exposure outside of Canada and no real rating in general, thus they cannot be overrated.

My vote goes to Nirvana, though Pearl Jam cuts it pretty damn close.

true,

but the tragically hip aren't over-rated now a days. Back then maybe, but now...not even close.

Though I still think they are Canada's Rock Band.

I don't think it deserves it's own thread or anything, but I wanted to point out that last night I saw the band that 17 people voted as most overrated (Radiohead).

Speaking as someone that's now seen 6 of the bands that are listed on the poll (Radiohead, U2, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica, and Pink Floyd) I can comfortably say that Radiohead put on far and away the best show of the 6 and I actually have more respect for them as artists and musicians after seeing them live.

(puts on flame-retardant suit and prepares for the onslaught)

You know, I was going for Nirvana hands down, but I ended up Metallica-ing it after reading the thread.

Thing is, as overrated as Nirvana once were, it almost seems like they're UNDERrated these days. I know very few people who don't hate their guts. It's true that none of the band members blew anyone away with their instrumental skills, but hey, the energy was there, Cobain wrote some pretty swank lyrics and catchy hooks, and had charisma up the wazoo (not that that adds to the music, but it adds to the energy and overall vibes that the band gives.) "In Utero" was a damn good album, too, and their other stuff wasn't too horrible. Anyhow, yeah, a shitload of people overrate them like hell, but recently I've heard them receive nothing but hate, and while they're no geniuses or Gods, they're pretty decent when push comes to shove.

there are still some people think that Kurt was the next John Lennon which is ludacris (not the rapper) and played more than just power chords.

Magazines and TV shows over-rate them as hell, thinking one of the best ever. They are not nearly as popular back in the early 90's, but there are lots that still think they are original, great musicans, and were the best band that came out of the grunge era (Even though Alice In Chains ownz there ass)

If Eddie Vedder had blown his idiotic brains out instead of Kurt then Pearl Jam would top the same lists as Nirvana. And Jeremy would be the top video instead of Teen Spirit.

Nirvana was not that great

'in utero' and 'unplugged in new york' are still better albums than anything pearl jam did. they're also better than what 95% of the rock community at large was doing at the time too.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

^Good Call.

I'll raise you a Bleach over any PJ album as well.

Zeppelin, hands-fucking-down. I still have yet to hear a good Zeppelin song, because everything they have recorded is always 2 or 3 minutes too long, and the rest of the song just is the same 2 or 3 riffs being played while Plant sang about sex and drugs.

Fool in the Rain

Carouselambra

Achilles Last Stand

Tangerine

The Song Remains The Same

Kashmir

Dazed and Confused

Trampled Underfoot

Baby Come On Home

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

many more

Come on. I have yet to hear a BAD Zeppelin song. (I pretend I've never heard Living Loving Maid.)

Living Lovin Maid fits with Heartbreaker...

but Led Zeppelin was the pioneer hair-band IMO.

Pearl Jam has had better albums, though not "popular" than Nirvana, I'd take Binueral, Riot Act and even Vitalogy over any Nirvana album ever produced.

Well as long as we're treading this ground again, I'll repeat that I love Soundgarden, and think they managed to employ all that was good about Nirvana and Pearl Jam, whilst being better musicians than both.

and Alice In Chains stands up over all of them.

Though I love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, both Soundgarden and Alice In Chains don't get enough credit as it is with there albums as only people remember Rooster, Man In The Box, Spoonman, and Black Hole Sun. Some people forget that Cornell was the singer for Soundgarden, and not just Audioslave

Guest MissMattitude

Yeah, Nirvana did manage to steal the thunder from every other, more talented grunge band.

Edited by MissMattitude

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

While everyone slams Nirvana now because its seemingly the cool thing to do, remember they were on top of the music industry from 1991 until 1994. Why must all of the music snobs neglect to share this important piece of information? Nirvana in fact transformed music in the early 90's. They killed any momentum Michael Jackson ever had. Gone were hair bands, r&b acts, and even pop music as it was. No one can honestly say that if Eddie Vedder had commited suicide instead of Cobain that Pearl Jam would be more revered than Nirvana. Face it, Smells Like Teen Spirit ruled the radio moreso than anything Pearl Jam pumped out of Ten.

After Nirvana hit the scene; Michael Jackson, Skid Row, Poison, Tiffany, the Bangles, ect...failed to ever be as popular as they once had. Instead of them, bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Offspring, Nine Inch Nails, the Chili Peppers, ect..all became the mainstream. And NO ONE can deny it wasn't without Nirvana's influence that it happened. Sure they copped their sound from other bands...hell, Cobain even admitted as much. But it was Nevermind that stormed up the charts, dethroned Michael Jackson, and paved the way for the North American mainstream music that preceded it. Hate them or not, but give Nirvana SOME credit.

Overated? I'll say Radiohead. Their music degenerated from wonderful rock songs to monotonous whiny lyrics with nonsensical noise accompanying it.

Guest Choken One

Ummm...Banky you do realize that MTV, VH1, ROLLINGSTONE and other musical influences constantly suck Cobain's cock right?

Guest MissMattitude
Ummm...Banky you do realize that MTV, VH1, ROLLINGSTONE and other musical influences constantly suck Cobain's cock right?

Which is kind of a disturbing thought considering he's dead.

Guest Choken One

No different then all the other dead cock's they suck...

Hendrix, Lennon and Morrison...

If you died "Young" then you were a genius...die old and fat and bloated on a toliet they go "The dude died on Toliet!"

Guest MissMattitude
hendrix and lennon WERE geniuses.

Morrison and Lennon maybe.

Hendrix wasn't a genius.

While everyone slams Nirvana now because its seemingly the cool thing to do, remember they were on top of the music industry from 1991 until 1994.  Why must all of the music snobs neglect to share this important piece of information? Nirvana in fact transformed music in the early 90's.  They killed any momentum Michael Jackson ever had.  Gone were hair bands, r&b acts, and even pop music as it was

Lets not get crazy now. Nirvana & grunge didn't take over the whole world. There was still rap, r&b, pop and other music out there at the time.

Gangsta (or how ever you spell it) took off big around then.

Ice T was doing the whole rap/rock thing.

Shit like TLC and Boys to Men were big around the time.

Hell, even Metallica's "black" album and Aerosmith's "Get A Grip" were selling over 10 million records at the time and were still being played on the radio and their video's were all over MTV.

Of course around the time or maybe even little after grunge died down, that whole "coffee shop" rock stuff took off.

If you died "Young" then you were a genius...die old and fat and bloated on a toliet they go "The dude died on Toliet!"

Thats true of so many things. It's something that pisses me off quite a bit.

Guest Choken One

Here we go...I created a monster...we gotta debate if Jimi was a genius or a Stoned Hippie....

Guest MissMattitude
hendrix and lennon WERE geniuses.

Morrison and Lennon maybe.

Hendrix wasn't a genius.

was too.

Was too :P

Guest Plushy Al Logan

Where are the Beatles on this?! They are the most overrated pieces of crap I have ever heard.

Saying the Beatles suck is like saying ice cream sucks. Even if it's true, nobody's going to listen to you.

I say Lennon was a genius, Hendrix was a mad genius, Morrison was just a lunatic.

What kind of a fuckass would overrated The Tragically Hip? They barely get any exposure outside of Canada and no real rating in general, thus they cannot be overrated.

My vote goes to Nirvana, though Pearl Jam cuts it pretty damn close.

The Hip are highly overrated in Canada. They are praised as the be all and end all of all rock bands, but i find they're music bland and Gord Downie's voice to be irritating.