TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Heaven and Hell...

Do you believe there is a Heaven and Hell?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe there is a Heaven and Hell?

• Yes
    • No

Do you believe there is a Heaven and Hell? And that most of us wind up in one or the other.

If so, why? If not, why not?

Feel free to reply with "undecided." But I wanted to keep it out of the poll just so I could see yes vs no replies.

I believe yes. Just because I want to believe that there is more beyond life after death.

That and I'm a Christian... Not like of a particular Christianity, just that I believe in the Bible, Christ, and God. That's about as far as my Christianity goes.

Guest El Satanico

I'd rather have reincarnation

And no I don't believe in such fairy tales. A magical place in the sky that only spirits can see...riiiight and I'm a purple clam that eats mermans.

However the imagery of hell is better than the imagery of heaven.

Guest JaKyL25

I don't see any reason to believe in the concept, so I don't.

I mean, sure, it'd be NICE and all, but it'd be nice if we all got $100 tomorrow too, wouldn't it? I think the $100 is more likely to happen.

Guest Sturgis

There IS a Heaven.

Meet someone on their deathbed. When they keep going in and out of consinous(sp?) they might say stuff like "It's so beautiful" or talk about they met there dececed family members.

Guest El Satanico
There IS a Heaven.

Meet someone on their deathbed. When they keep going in and out of consinous(sp?) they might say stuff like "It's so beautiful" or talk about they met there dececed family members.

That's the drugs talking.

See kids...Drugs are good

There IS a Heaven.

The scientific theory is that the brain causes "the light" that people often say is heaven.

I'm not sure if I believe in heaven. I'd like to, but based on the current evidence, I'm leaning toward there not being one.

In heaven, everything is fine.

You got your good thing, and I got mine.

Aside from the light, anyone who has heard accounts of after death experiences, is more likely to think they have one themselves. Personal testimony is nothing to go by anyway. People swear up and down on lies, the prevalence of urban legends should tell you that much. I don't belive someone on their deathbed saw God anymore than I believe my dad knew the guy with the death car... or that he was picked up hitchhiking by Jesus, for that matter (both things he's told me.)

I had a wierd dream one night where people who thought they were going to go to heaven ended up in heaven but it was actually more like hell and vice versa. It actually scared the living snot out of me for about an hour after I woke up.

Guest El Satanico
... or that he was picked up hitchhiking by Jesus, for that matter (both things he's told me.)

It was dark, i was broke, i was stoned and he had a righteous VW Bus...so who was I to question him on his claims of being Jesus.

Jesus...hippies...who can tell the difference

Guest MissMattitude

No I don't believe in Heaven or Hell... but then I don't believe in God either.

It would be nice to think that there is something after you die, but I believe the theory of re-incarnation more than castles in the sky.

There IS a Heaven.

I have to strongly disagree.

I was with my grandmother on her death bed as she was passing away. She was clutching my hand with all the strength she could find and looking me dead in my eyes.

I could tell, beyond any doubt, she was absolutely terrified of what she was experiencing.

It's nice to reassure ourselves to stop us from going insane, but in perspective, our purpose here is just like everything else. To continue on the human race.

None of us, as individuals, matter. As long as the human race as a whole continues to grow and become more and more efficient & intelligent, then our individual purpose here has been achieved.

That's my opinion on things anyway. It's one of the reasons I'm studying education right now, so I can look back when I'm an old man and truly say that I contributed.

UYI

I believe their is a place where you can be in the presense of god and a place where god is not present ( "hell", hence the darkness). I don't believe in the big ol' firey pit of touture that you burn for ever. How the hell are you burning in flames but it is DARK.

Here is a question, why is reincarnation anymore believeable. What makes the belief in heaven and hell anymore "out there" than our spirts switching bodies.

Guest Insanityman

Wouldn't it be amusing if Hell was just one wild, care free party- while Heaven you were stuck in an endless scrabble game with God who keeps making up words to make sure he wins?

Guest BDC

I say yes, but I'm what you'd call a nondenominational evangelical Christian.

Have a nice day.

David Byrne once said that Heaven is a gay bar in Europe.

There's a gay bar in London called Heaven. Very famous. And rather effeminate too.

As for heaven and hell, I don't believe. Every religion since the dawn of time has attempted to come up with an answer to the question "what happens when we die?" and tie that in with their other explainations for nature. Now however, we know that the body is just a big battery, and there's no reason to question what happens when we die. So I don't.

If there's a heaven, fair enough. But I'm not gonna live my life any different if there is, so I'm not particularly bothered by it.

Wouldn't it be amusing if Hell was just one wild, care free party- while Heaven you were stuck in an endless scrabble game with God who keeps making up words to make sure he wins?

It's a little known fact, but this is actually how new words are invented. Particularly "Xenophobic".

If you were God, you'd cheat at board games too...

Guest The Old Me

I do believe in god, however I'm not sure what he wants from us and the like. I think maybe when you die, if you repent and believe in Christ, than MAYBE there is something good for you. If not, eternal sleep maybe? And eternal sleep, sounds damn good to me.

As AoO said, we're meat and nothing more. To think that there is some heavenly paradise awaiting us after we die, or some firey damnation, is just extremely egotistical and just plain old TYPICAL of the human race.

Nope. Not in the slightest. Heaven and Hell are inventions of early religious leaders who used them as tools of behavioral control. When we die, we spend "eternity" rotting in a wooden box.

Guest The Old Me
Nope. Not in the slightest. Heaven and Hell are inventions of early religious leaders who used them as tools of behavioral control. When we die, we spend "eternity" rotting in a wooden box.

I respect your opinion, but your theory, as the theories of others, really can't be proved. We all must have faith in what we believe.

Nope.

I'm inclined to agree with what Tom has already said. Heaven and Hell were just notions created to keep people in check.

In addiition, I think the afterlife is just silly and unrealistic, and I'm not just talking about the fact that it's highly improbable. We're beasts, albeit with the ability to think and forego our instincts, nothing more. Therefore, I don't think we're any more special than other life to believe that we get certain perks.

Plus, going along with what AP said, there is no "light" or "warmth" which so many people describe when dying. It's simply your brain shutting down. Similar feelings come from drifting asleep at night, after all.

Sure, it's NICE to think that something lies beyond this life, but I firmly believe that we end up rotting in the pine box, and that's it.

I believe in some kind of afterlife.

But I think one of the main reasons that I do is that it helps me sleep better at night.

I can't really conceive non-existance, and while we all know that some day we will all stop living, I certainly hope that there's something after.

And if I'm wrong, who's gonna be hurt by that?

I dunno what to expect after I die, but I don't expect nothing...

Nope.  Not in the slightest.  Heaven and Hell are inventions of early religious leaders who used them as tools of behavioral control.  When we die, we spend "eternity" rotting in a wooden box.

I respect your opinion, but your theory, as the theories of others, really can't be proved. We all must have faith in what we believe.

An atheist really can't have faith, can they?

Hell yes I believe there's a heaven and hell.

Guest Ram

I believe there may be an afterlife, but I really don't believe in a 'hell'.

Why would any supreme being force people into a place of damnation? That's evil, not benevolent.

I have no idea really either way, but I hope there is.