TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MissMattitude

Favourite male singers.

Guest MissMattitude

At the moment I would have to say that my favourite male singers are Mike Patton (Faith No More), Freddy Mercury (Queen) and Jeff Buckley.

Patton has such an amazingly versatile voice, Mercury was Mercury... you can't deny that he was amazing, and Buckley had such a haunting voice with so much emotion within it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Patton is god. You really should check out his myriad other bands, too, as they all kick righeous ass.

There's Fantomas, Tomahawk, Mr. Bungle, and one EP he did with The Dillinger Escape Plan.

Grab whatever you can by 'em, because they're ALL good, in my book. He's quite possibly my favorite vocalist ever.

Guest MissMattitude
Patton is god. You really should check out his myriad other bands, too, as they all kick righeous ass.

There's Fantomas, Tomahawk, Mr. Bungle, and one EP he did with The Dillinger Escape Plan.

Grab whatever you can by 'em, because they're ALL good, in my book. He's quite possibly my favorite vocalist ever.

Oh fantastic, some more material to download.

Any particular songs I should get first?

Dean Martin

Marvin Gaye

Nat King Cole

Michael McDonald

Mickey Dolenz

Johnny Cash

Wilson Pickett

Smokey Robinson

Elvis Presley

Roy Orbison

Frank Sinatra

You know, guys who can sing. And Tom Waits, even though he can't sing, but damn does that screeching howl enthrall me.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh fantastic, some more material to download.

Any particular songs I should get first?

Fantomas- To my knowledge, they only have one album, and every track is titled like "Book One: Page 6" for instance. Just pick a number between 1 and 32 for the page. This has no lyrics. It's weird grindy stuff, with Patton making vocal noises..no words. It's really out there, but it's also really good.

Dillinger Escape Plan- He's only done 4 songs with these guys. "Hollywood Squares" "Pig Latin" "When Good Dogs go Bad" and a cover of "Come to Daddy." None of them are short of being 'fucking awesome'.

Tomahawk- A little more straightforward that the previous two. Decent stuff all around, my favorite tracks are probably "You Can't Win" and "Harelip."

Mr. Bungle is a little bit of everything. Heavy influences, screwy jazz, cool 50's rock, hand drums, and the tango. Just search for songs by the band, and start downloading random tracks, because everything sounds different. "Sweet Charity" "The Holy Filament" and "Goodbye Sober Day" are all cool as fuck.

Guest MissMattitude

Great, I was running out of music to download. I will downloadsome of the songs you have suggested tonight.

Guest BAR

Time to break out a list...

1. David Gilmour

2. Freddie Mercury

3. Bruce Dickinson

4. Ozzy Osbourne

5. Axl Rose

6. Robert Plant

7. Michael Jackson

8. James Hetfield

9. Roger Waters

10. John Garcia

Michael Stipe

Nick Drake

Mark Kozeluk

Richard Hawley

Gram Parsons

Shane McGowan (Possibly the most unconventionally good)

Bruce Springsteen

Marvin Gaye

Tom Waits

Euros Childs

Sam Cooke

Alejandro Escovedo

Mark Lanegan

Ryan Adams

Robert Cray

Nick Cave

Mark Eitzel

Fantomas- To my knowledge, they only have one album, and every track is titled like "Book One: Page 6" for instance. Just pick a number between 1 and 32 for the page. This has no lyrics. It's weird grindy stuff, with Patton making vocal noises..no words. It's really out there, but it's also really good.

They have a second album called Director's Cut that's a little bit more accessable, but still really damn cool. It's all covers of movie theme songs. Tracks I recommend are Rosemary's Baby, Twin Peaks, and Der Golem.

As for favorite vocalists.

Al Green

Barry White

Frank Black

Mike Patton

Robert Johnson

Gladly seconding Sam Cooke. His live album--not Live at the Copa but Live at the Harlem Square Club--is raw n' stupendous. "Bring It On Home To Me" = required listening.

Prince, however, may be my all-time favorite vocalist. I've never heard anyone else who just goes so balls-out (sometimes literally) on everything he delivers. Awesome range, too.

Dani Filth (Cradle of Filth)

Shagrath (Dimmu Borgir)

Davey Havok (AFI)

Nick 13 (Tiger Army)

Ville Vallo (HIM)

Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad)

Glenn Danzig (Misfits, Samhain, Danzig)

Destructor (Zyklon, Myrkskog)

Jorgen Sandstrom (The Project Hate MCMXCIX)

Anders Friden (In Flames)

Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne)

You have a favorite vocalist named "Destructor."

Nevermortal wins this one, guys. Pack it up.

You expected any less from me?

Zyklon is brutal. It kills. It shreds. Its only fitting that the man's name is Destructor.

I could've pulled out Corpsegrinder, Fenriz, Abbath Doom Occulta, Legion, or maybe even....DEAD.

Guest MissMattitude
Dani Filth (Cradle of Filth)

Oh man, I absolutley do not think that that little midget wanker can sing.

I suppose I don't really need to say Mike Patton again, but I will.

Morrissey

Tom Waits

Frank Black

Russell Mael (Sparks)

Justin Hawkins (The Darkness, even if you don't like them, live he's incredible)

Guest MissMattitude
I suppose I don't really need to say Mike Patton again, but I will.

Morrissey

Tom Waits

Frank Black

Russell Mael (Sparks)

Justin Hawkins (The Darkness, even if you don't like them, live he's incredible)

Justin Hawkins is the absolute man at the moment.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't think I've ever heard a Warren Zevon song other than "Werewolves of London" which is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. I assume he's got better material like everyone else, but I don't see it being phenomenal.