TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingDeacon

Two Hit Wonders?

Everyone always talks about one hit wonders, but how many two hit wonders are there out there. Off the top of my head I've come up with Golden Earring (Radar Love, Twilight Zone), Manfredd Mann's Earth Band (The Mighty Quinn, Blinded by the Light), The Marshall Tucker Band (Can't You See, Heard it in a Love Song) and technically Blue Oyster Cult (as I believe only Don't Fear the Reaper and Burning for You charted in the top 40). So can you think of any other artists or bands that only had two hits?

The Spin Doctors. "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" and "Two Princes." The only thing that might disprove this is "Jimmy Olsen's Blues," but not many people seem to remember that one. I barely do.

Oddly, IDRM, I just thought of Tone Loc and was coming to add him. I'm going to check on the Spin Doctors when I get home, but I'm pretty sure they don't count. But the Spin Doctors made me think of Crash Test Dummies and I believe Afternoons and Coffeespoons charted as did Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm. I'll check on them when I get home too.

YnA brings up a good point. We're talking hits here, just not singles, something that place in the top 40.

But the Spin Doctors made me think of Crash Test Dummies and I believe Afternoons and Coffeespoons charted as did Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm. I'll check on them when I get home too.

CTD's hits would probably be "Superman's Song" and "Mmm, Mmm, Mmm" (which must have been some sort of hit as Weird Al parodied it). They've had a few other assorted hits in Canada, but I assume we're not counting that.

Others off the top of my head:

- Men At Work: "Down Under" and "Who Can It Be Now?"

- Milli Vanilli: "Girl You Know It's True" and "Blame It On The Rain"

- Vanilla Ice: "Ice Ice Baby" and "Play That Funky Music"

I think All 4 One was a two hit wonder as well, and maybe The Fugees.

But the Spin Doctors made me think of Crash Test Dummies and I believe Afternoons and Coffeespoons charted as did Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm. I'll check on them when I get home too.

CTD's hits would probably be "Superman's Song" and "Mmm, Mmm, Mmm" (which must have been some sort of hit as Weird Al parodied it). They've had a few other assorted hits in Canada, but I assume we're not counting that.

Others off the top of my head:

- Men At Work: "Down Under" and "Who Can It Be Now?"

- Milli Vanilli: "Girl You Know It's True" and "Blame It On The Rain"

- Vanilla Ice: "Ice Ice Baby" and "Play That Funky Music"

I think All 4 One was a two hit wonder as well, and maybe The Fugees.

All 4 One had "So Much In Love", "I Swear", "I Can Love You Like That" as major top 40 hits. They had a minor one in late 2000 with "All The Wrong Reasons" as well. So that's 3, possibly 4 for them.

Guest JudasSault
Did Peter Andre make it in America? He had two hits over here then disappeared

Not that it's happened yet, but most people seem to confuse singles with "hits." Like the New Radicals, they only had one real hit, but two singles.

Sad because both singles were great , and the album was even better.

The lead singer released a new track on pickthehits.com though, so im hoping something surfaces in the new year

Not that it's happened yet, but most people seem to confuse singles with "hits." Like the New Radicals, they only had one real hit, but two singles.

Sad because both singles were great , and the album was even better.

The lead singer released a new track on pickthehits.com though, so im hoping something surfaces in the new year

I still have my copy. I really liked it

Kid and Play:

"Ain't Gonna Hurt No Body" and "Roll With Kid and Play"

Soul 4 Real:

"Every little Thing You Do" and "Candy Rain"

Cameo:

"Candy" and "Word Up"

Groove Theory:

"Baby Luv" and "Tell Me"

might make a case for Kurtis Blow:

"If I ruled the world" and "The Breaks"

Mint Condition:

"Pretty Brown Eyes" and "What Kind of Man would I be"

Again you can make a case for Rage Against the Machine:

"Bulls on Parade" and "Guerrilla Radio"

Mary Jane Girls:

"In My House" and "All Night Long"

Sheila E.

"Fast Life" and "A Love Bizarre"

Eddie Murphy:

"Put Your Mouth on Me" and "Party All Time"

Sisqo:

"Got to Get It" and "Thong Song"

Get Fresh Crew:

"Lodi Dodi" and "The Show"

Though it might change, Tamia:

"So Into You" and "Officially Missing You"

Peaches N Herb:

"Shake Your Groove Thing" and "Reunited"

Manfredd Mann's Earth Band

Manfred Mann had loads of big hits in the British charts at least with 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy' (I thought this was a really well known song), 'Pretty Flamingo' and 'Mighty Quinn' all being number 1 hits. They had a total of 10 other top 10 hits in the UK top 40 in the 60's.

I'm home from work and I have my top 40 book out, so let's double check some things.

Spin Doctors-Edwin is correct, Jimmy Olsen's Blues did not chart in the top 40

Crash Test Dummies-One hit wonder, only Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm charted.

Scatman John-Can't find anything on him, but my book only goes up to 2000. What hits did he have, when and how far up the charts did they get.

Men at Work-Nope. They have five hits, four in the top ten. Besides the two named, they had Overkill, It's Our Mistake and Dr. Heckyll and Mr. Jive

Milli Vanilli-Nope. They have five top ten hits. Besides the two mentioned, there was Baby, Don't Forget My Number, Girl I'm Gonna Miss You, All or Nothing

Vanilla Ice-correct

The Romantics-correct. Although my book says What I Like About You did not chart, although One in a Million did.

Corey Hart-Nope. Two big hits, seven minor one. Those being It Ain't Enough, Boy in the Box, Everything in My Heart, I am by Your Side, Can't Help Falling in Love, In Your Soul, A Little Love

Zach was correct on All-4-One, they don't count.

Peter Andre-No hits in the states

Snow-Correct.

Snap-Also had Ooops Up, although it barely cracked the top 40, 2 week at 35.

C+C Music Factory-Here We Go was top ten, Do You Wanna Get Funky spent 2 weeks at number 40

Marshall Tucker Band-2 hits but I was wrong on Can't You See, Fire on the Mountain charted.

Manfred Mann-I was wrong on them too. They had Do-Wah-Diddy-Diddy, Pretty Flamingo and Sha-La-La, then became Manfred Mann's Earth Band and had Spirit in the Night and Runner along with the two I mentioned.

Blue Oyster Cult-I was right on them and Golden Earring.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

How about Terrence Trent D'Arby? He had at least two, only one of which I can actually remember. (Wishing Well)

Most of ME's are correct. However, it appears that Kurtis Blow had no hits in the overall top 40 and Mint Condition had several other minor hits including U Send Me Swingin', You Don't Have to Hurt No More and If You Love Me. Peaches and Herb had 6 other moderate hits with Let's Fall in Love, Close Your Eyes, For Your Love Love is Strange, Two Little Kids and I Pledge My Love. Sheila E. had a very minor hit with the Bells of St. Mark.

I will flip through my top 40 book later and see what else I can find.

The only song listed for Harvey Danger is Flagpole Sitta. Again, the book only goes up to 2000, though.

ehhh...probably not then. They had 3 other songs get airplay, but none of them seemed to hit.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
D'Arby had three hits, Wishing Well, Sign Your Name and Dance Little Sister.

Damn, I was close.

What about Chumbawumba? There was the "I get Knocked Down" song and then Amnesia I believe.

Men at Work-Nope. They have five hits, four in the top ten. Besides the two named, they had Overkill, It's Our Mistake and Dr. Heckyll and Mr. Jive

Five? Damn, I didn't realize that.

How about Spandau Ballet then? "True" is an obvious hit, "Communication" may have charted, and I'm not sure if they've ever had another song stateside.

...did Nena's "Just A Dream" ever chart?

...and has S Club had anything other than "Never Had A Dream Come True" chart in the US?

...I'm also unsure as to whether Aaliyah actually had more than two hits.

I'll also throw out these for consideration:

- Bonnie Tyler, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "I Need A Hero"

- Irene Cara, "Fame" and "Flashdance (What A Feeling)"

D'Arby had three hits, Wishing Well, Sign Your Name and Dance Little Sister.

Damn, I was close.

What about Chumbawumba? There was the "I get Knocked Down" song and then Amnesia I believe.

Other song never hit in the US

That's another thing I'm unclear on. "Amnesia" could have charted based on the 'residual heat' from "Tubthumping" but I wouldn't go out and call it a true hit.

All the same, from what I hear Chumbawumba could probably give a shit whether they have another hit or not...

You could also say Orgy...their only two hits were their cover of "Blue Monday" and "Stitches". I wouldn't necessarily count the single from the second album as being a hit.