TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingDeacon

Two Hit Wonders?

You could also say Orgy...their only two hits were their cover of "Blue Monday" and "Stitches". I wouldn't necessarily count the single from the second album as being a hit.

Yeah, but that's recient. So there's still some hope for them.

It might be two early to call Orgy a two hit wonder, but it's been three years since there second release which really didn't make any waves, good or bad. And it's been five since they debuted. It's not like their constantly touring or anything either. They've pretty much dropped off the face of the planet.

Guest Random Hero
Did Peter Andre make it in America? He had two hits over here then disappeared

He had more than two hits (If you live in England that is).

Mysterious Girl

Flava

Natural

And a few others I can't remember the name of, including a collaboration with Warren G, which was actually quite good...

*ducks rotten fruit*

....and whoever said 'The Mary Jane Girls' they forgot about 'Ring My Bell'...

Fine Young Cannibals?

"She Drives Me Crazy", "Good Thing" and "Johnny Come Home" were their big hits, but they also had "Suspicious Minds" and "Don't Look Back", but again I don't know what was a hit Stateside since I lived in Canada...

Most of ME's are correct. However, it appears that Kurtis Blow had no hits in the overall top 40 and Mint Condition had several other minor hits including U Send Me Swingin', You Don't Have to Hurt No More and If You Love Me. Peaches and Herb had 6 other moderate hits with Let's Fall in Love, Close Your Eyes, For Your Love Love is Strange, Two Little Kids and I Pledge My Love. Sheila E. had a very minor hit with the Bells of St. Mark.

I will flip through my top 40 book later and see what else I can find.

Is this top 40 book on Pop, Rock, RnB, Rap, ect all together or just Pop? Because Kurtis Blow is before the rap charts, so it would be RnB charts to look at. And he was the first rapper to go gold, so I guess it is a "hit" in the same vain of Rage Against the Machine.

I'm a little hazy on US chart history, but could you consider Pink Floyd as two-hit wonders?

They may have had earier hits with Syd, or later hits after Roger left, but "Money" and "Annother Brick In The Wall" could be classed as their only two hit singles stateside...

Comfortably Numb from disc 2 of The Wall would qualify as a hit even if it's not on the charts... some studies show that it's one of the most played songs in radio history.

I'm a little hazy on US chart history, but could you consider Pink Floyd as two-hit wonders?

They may have had earier hits with Syd, or later hits after Roger left, but "Money" and "Annother Brick In The Wall" could be classed as their only two hit singles stateside...

Comfortably Numb from disc 2 of The Wall would qualify as a hit even if it's not on the charts... some studies show that it's one of the most played songs in radio history.

You could say that of "Stairway To Heaven" or "We Will Rock You" (possibly), but neither were hits if they weren't available as singles.

The book I have is Billboard's book of Top 40 hits, so its songs that were in the top 40 of the Hot 100 charts. So it doesn't take into count genre charts, like country, rap, r&b, etc. just if songs crossed over to hot 100 charts.

Technically Pink Floyd did only have two hits in the US, Money and Another Brick in the Wall.

Fine Young Cannibals had 3 hits in the US. She Drives Me Crazy, Don't Look Back and Good Thing.

Spandau Ballet had True, Gold and Only When You Leave

Just a Dream did not chart in the US

Bonnie Tyler had three hits, those two and It's a Heartache

Irene Cara had Fame, Flashdance, Breakdance, Out Here on My Own, Why Me? and Hold onto Your Dream from the cinematic masterpiece that is D.C. Cab

I'm just flipping through my Billboard book and seeing what's catching my eye. Some two hit wonders I noticed:

Andrew Gold-Lonely Boy (which was in Boogie Nights) and Thank You For Being a Friend (which was later used as the theme to the Golden Girls)

A-Ha-Considered a one hit wonder for Take on Me, The Sun Always Shines on T.V. did crack the top 20

Greg Kihn Band-Our Love's in Jeopardy and The Breakup Song (Kihn also had a solo hit with Lucky)

The Gap Band-Early in the Morning and You Dropped a Bomb on Me

The Band-Up on Cripple Creek and Dont' Do It

Gloria Gaynor-I Will Survive, Never Can Say Goodbye

Presidents of the United States-Peaches and Lump

Del Shannon-7 more other than the two you named; So Long Baby, Hey! Little Girl, Little Town Flirt, Handy Man, Keep Searchin', Stranger in Town, Sea of Love

ABC also had Be Near Me, How to be a Millionaire and When Smokey Sings

Great call on the Foundations though.

Didnt Harvey Danger have that song from 200 Cigarettes? Forget the name of it.

"Save it for Later" a 1980s cover. They also had "Private Helicopter" and "Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo" (which sucked) as singles...but not hits

Guest Dmann2000

Ugly Kid Joe had "Everything About You" and their cover of "Cats in the Cradle"

I think Slipknot kind of counts. Although they weren't great/powerful singles, they did have "Wait and bleed" and "Spit it out" on mainstream radio. They were all over the place and we're huge. When it came for their second album, nothing got on radio.

I was going to list one of my favorites, Jimmy Buffett (despite his popularity, only "Come Monday" and "Margaritaville" even charted that I'm aware of), but technically the current duet with Alan Jackson hit number one on the country charts so he could be a three-hit wonder now.

Still, he's only had two solo hits.

I think Slipknot kind of counts. Although they weren't great/powerful singles, they did have "Wait and bleed" and "Spit it out" on mainstream radio. They were all over the place and we're huge. When it came for their second album, nothing got on radio.

They're still popular...there's time for another hit

I know in the UK Carole King only charted with "It Might As Well Rain Until September" and "It's Too Late", though I doubt this will be the same anywhere else in the world.

Jennifer Rush had "The Power Of Love" and "Ring Of Ice". Anything else?

And same thing for similar 80s singer Laura Branigan. "Gloria" and "Self Control". I don't think she did anything else.

They're still popular...there's time for another hit

I thought they'd split up. I'll struggle on without them I guess.

PUSA is a good choice, 'peaches' and 'lump' were their only two big hits on both sides of the Atlantic.

We can't be talking about RATM and Pink Floyd however, because they can still shift albums and if either were to reform would be INSANELY popular again. Two hits, and then subsequently no hits should be the criteria.

Guest MissMattitude
Scatman John-Can't find anything on him, but my book only goes up to 2000. What hits did he have, when and how far up the charts did they get.

He had a couple of hits in the mid-nineties but I don't know if he/they had the same success outside of the UK.

Guest MissMattitude

Which is total shame because they are an excellent band.

Guest MissMattitude
What about Chumbawumba? There was the "I get Knocked Down" song and then Amnesia I believe.

That's another thing I'm unclear on. "Amnesia" could have charted based on the 'residual heat' from "Tubthumping" but I wouldn't go out and call it a true hit.

All the same, from what I hear Chumbawumba could probably give a shit whether they have another hit or not...

I remember seeing an interview with them a little while ago and they said they weren't looking for chart success, they just wanted to make music.

Quite a rare thing for a band nowadays.

You mean "Cleveland Rocks" was NOT a top 40 hit? :D

Speaking of TV theme songs, I'd think that The Rembrandts qualify as a two hit wonder: "Just The Way It Is Baby" and "I'll Be There For You", which I don't think ever charted on Billboard (since it wasn't released as a single until AFTER it peaked on radio

) but made all the other top 40 lists.