TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Just how bad will Jersey Girl be next year?

This can not be good for the Kevin Smith directed Affleck-Lopez project schedlued for release late winter-early spring of 04

Its not that Gigli did middle of the road buisness and ranks as an "underatted" flick.

I mean Mallrats did better at the box apparantly!

It bombed historically. Waterworld, Isthar levels of suckitude.

Sure everyone has a turkey or two on their resumes but how will the masses react when they are subjected to ANOTHER "Ben & Jen" flick next summer when a "historic" flop is fresh in their memory, and they won't know that Jersey Girl has already been made so in their markish way they will assume that Jersey Girl was made after Gigli and be "How could they THINK of doing another movie after the last one blew chunks?"

Affleck and Lopez hatred will still be very fresh next summer, now I'm not saying Kevin Smith should shelve the picture or do something equally stupid (i.e. reshoot the whole thing with a replacement for one or both) but I hope he has something up his sleeve in case he loses a few shirts with the movie (No doubt WE will see it, but Affleck and Lopez have so many detractors or fans just plain sick of them (No doubt Smith has some in the same circles) that we will be the only people attending the film)

It will be intresting though to see how it does, how it ends up being promoted (i.e. de-emphasis on the fact that Affleck and Lopez star in it, don't ask me now HOW to do that, but I'm sure it can be done, maybe just do the trailer with nothing but scenes from the movie and the song Jersey Girl (either Waits or Springsteen) as the only thing you here and no mention of the stars) and other hype surrounding it.

Steve

Guest Lethargic

I don't expect Jersey Girl to do that well anyway and Gigli will be long forgotten by time it comes out. It HAS to do better than Gigli did though.

Guest El Satanico

I'm sure it will do close to the other Kevin Smith movies. I never knew we were expecting it to be a huge box office movie.

If you haven't noticed, the spin has already started, as Smith and others have noted that Lopez dies off in the first 15 minutes, and that the TRUE love interest in the movie is Liv Tyler.

Also, the movie is scheduled far enough away that it should be sheltered from the Gigli backlash.

Now, if Kevin Smith would get back to writing that fricking Spider-Man/Black Cat comic, I'd be very happy...

Guest Lethargic
Jay & Silient Bob need to do some promos to sell this movie. Maybe have them outside the store reading a tabloid and rip Ben a new one.

I believe the whole point of this movie is Smith trying to get away from those characters and those movies and trying to make movies for grown ups.

If you haven't heard, Smith signed today to direct the new Fletch movie and a Flash Gordon type movie called Ranger Danger and the Danger Rangers.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Enh...

Why don't we wait until the movie is released when we can actually make these comments...

Jay & Silient Bob need to do some promos to sell this movie.  Maybe have them outside the store reading a tabloid and rip Ben a new one.

I believe the whole point of this movie is Smith trying to get away from those characters and those movies and trying to make movies for grown ups.

If you haven't heard, Smith signed today to direct the new Fletch movie and a Flash Gordon type movie called Ranger Danger and the Danger Rangers.

Well it seems that the adults do not care for Ben Affleck. What will Jersey Girl be......Chasing Amy 2?

After hearing that Lopez will die in the first 15 mins of the movie, I am having serious doubts about it. Aside from Psycho has this sort of thing (killing off a major star fairly early) ever worked well?

Yeah I heard about that and what the fuck happened to his whole Jason Lee as Fletch thing? He was quoted as saying "if (Jason Lee) is not the next Irwin Fletcher then I'm not directing the next Fletch" He says similar stuff to that for a good 2 years then today he puts out a list of 5 guys none of whom are Jason Lee. The other movie has the best name ever.

And back to Jersey Girl the movie mainly deals with Affleck's relationship with his daughter after her mother/his wife's death. Her dying is a big part of the plot and she was never supposed to be the star of the movie until all the attention was put on the Affleck Lopez relationship and Miramax thought it would sell.

Guest Dmann2000
After hearing that Lopez will die in the first 15 mins of the movie, I am having serious doubts about it. Aside from Psycho has this sort of thing (killing off a major star fairly early) ever worked well?

Drew Barrymore in Scream

If you haven't noticed, the spin has already started, as Smith and others have noted that Lopez dies off in the first 15 minutes, and that the TRUE love interest in the movie is Liv Tyler.

Also, the movie is scheduled far enough away that it should be sheltered from the Gigli backlash.

Now, if Kevin Smith would get back to writing that fricking Spider-Man/Black Cat comic, I'd be very happy...

Source ?

Where did he say that ?

1. Nobody has seen it

2. Do we really know if it will be better or worst than Gigli ?

Guest El Satanico

This thread isn't really talking about the movie being good or not being good. It's talking about what kind of impact Gigli will make on Jersey Girl.

On the upside (If there is one)

Most viewers and the Critics said that Ben & Jen had good chemistry. But, it was just a bad movie.

Guest HHH123007

Almost all the reviews of JG I've read up until now have been pretty positive....I think the release date will be it's downfall though.

This can not be good for the Kevin Smith directed Affleck-Lopez project schedlued for release late winter-early spring of 04

Its not that Gigli did middle of the road buisness and ranks as an "underatted" flick.

I mean Mallrats did better at the box apparantly!

It bombed historically. Waterworld, Isthar levels of suckitude.

WATERWORLD actually made a lot of money...

but when you have the most overbudget movie of all-time you have to make more than that.

I won't. Smith is good at movies, lousy at comics.

Jersey Girl is coming out NEXT YEAR right?

In celebrity relationships, that's an eternity. Jen and Ben might be married, divorced, marry other people, divorce, remarry each other, and divorce for good by the time it is actually released.

In other words I don't think it will have a big impact because I doubt they'll be together by then.

However, Gigli wasn't a record-breaking historic bomb like some people are making it out to be. This is kinda off-topic, and anyone here who uses MSN Messager probably saw it--but here's a list of the 10 biggest big-time bombs that they listed earlier in the week--inspired by Gigli:

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article....spx?news=131054

Guest Anglesault
After hearing that Lopez will die in the first 15 mins of the movie, I am having serious doubts about it.  Aside from Psycho has this sort of thing (killing off a major star fairly early) ever worked well?

Drew Barrymore in Scream

First one I thought of.

A lot of people forget that Lopez is an absolutely horrendous actress.

Christ, am I the only one who saw Maid in Manhattan ?

Nothing Lopez associates herself with can ever be "good." She just has to hope that there are enough horny 14 year old boys to at least cover production cost.

Guest Crux

I think it will do okay. I heard they won't be adding Jennifer to any of the posters and keeping her role as short--but then again, when you think of Ben and Jen...Gigli...Well, it all just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Guest Choken One

I think of the Wedding bullshit...the media bullshit...before Gigli.

Didn't Ben cheat on Jen anyways? If it's one THREE tabloid covers it must be true right?

Keyword:

Um...

Agh... Bastard.

Let me think of one, i'll get back to you.