TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Use Your Illusion

Top 50 Worst Music Artists of All Time

The link

Mick Jagger has been named alongside Michael Bolton and Celine Dion as one of the 50 worst artists in music history.

Paul Oakenfold, Bob Geldof and cult band The Doors also made the list compiled by US music magazine Blender.

It ranked Jagger at number 13, mocking the Rolling Stones frontman's solo ventures as worse than something produced by a "tone deaf six-year-old".

David Bowie's ill-conceived rock band Tin Machine fared even worse, listed at number 12, and described simply as "really, really bad".

Jamiroquai's Jay Kay was on the list, named as the 25th worst music artist of all time, and dubbed "the white, talentless Stevie Wonder".

The magazine rated Bob Geldof's solo efforts at number 39, saying he "should have stuck to saving the planet", while Mike Rutherford's group Mike and the Mechanics was listed at 43.

Kenny G, Vanilla Ice and Michael Bolton all made the top 10, edging out Celine Dion who was ranked at number 26.

The Doors were named at number 37, with the magazine criticising singer Jim Morrison for inflicting his "terminally adolescent views on the wider world".

Rap-rock duo Insane Clown Posse were named the worst music artists ever by Blender.

The pair are best known for an ongoing feud with Eminem and for once asking Sharon Osbourne to "buff my pickle" on the Howard Stern radio show.

Blender's editor, Andy Pemberton, said: "If I were any of these groups, I would be angry about making the list - but they should be better. It's their fault they're on it."

The full list:

1. Insane Clown Posse

2. Emerson, Lake and Palmer

3. Michael Bolton

4. Kenny G

5. Starship

6. Kansas

7. Asia

8. Vanilla Ice

9. Lee Greenwood

10. Air Supply

11. Latoya Jackson

12. Tin Machine

13. Mick Jagger

14. Yngwie Malmsteen

15. Yanni

16. Oingo Boingo

17. Benzino

18. Pat Boone

19. Dan Fogelberg

20. Howard Jones

21. The Alan Parsons Project

22. Primus

23. Creed

24. Bad English

25. Jamiroquai

26. Celine Dion

27. Colour Me Bad

28. Crash Test Dummies

29. Skinny Puppy

30. Richard Marx

31. Arrested Development

32. The Hooters

33. Japan

34. Live

35. Paul Oakenfold

36. 98 Degrees

37. The Doors

38. Nelson

39. Bob Geldof

40. Blind Melon

41. Whitesnake

42. Rick Wakeman

43. Mike and the Mechanics

44. Manowar

45. Gipsy Kings

46. The Spin Doctors

47. Goo Goo Dolls

48. Master P

49. Toad the Wet Sprocket

50. Iron Butterfly

Ahem, yes.

UYI

I like Blender for the most part, but many of the names are on the list with no rhyme or reason. To say you don't like someone is fine, but to call Creed one of the worst ever, even though they sold tens of millions of records is just stupid (and I'm not even a big Creed fan)

This is beyond absurd.

How on EARTH can anyone claim that ICP, a group with a fair number of dedicated fans and a number of CDs, is worse then any random 80's artist that no one even remembers? I don't even like ICP that much, but I mean come on. There's a difference between "I don't like these people" and "they're the worst band ever", and somehow, I don't think that these people managed to notice this.

And Manowar is on the list? Oh, fuck this...

Too many of these bands were too popular for too long a time to be on this list, even if I personally hate some of them.

And when they refer to Starship, is it just as Starship or are we taking into account the Jefferson Airplane years as well? (I disagree with them being that high too, but this is why I don't do these lists myself.)

I like Blender for the most part, but many of the names are on the list with no rhyme or reason. To say you don't like someone is fine, but to call Creed one of the worst ever, even though they sold tens of millions of records is just stupid (and I'm not even a big Creed fan)

Since when did album sales mean anything? Celine Dion has sold millons across the world but she still sucks...and yes Creed sucks too...so there!

Oh and the worst music "artists" of all-time for me are L.F.O. who had one hit "Summer Girls" a few years back during the boy band craze and simply had to be the worst song I'd ever heard. That song actually made me want to go shoot anyone wearing Abercrombie & Fitch.

Afroman sold fuckin' records too, and he both sucks and blows.

Record sales DO NOT = talent. If I had a buck for every time I've said that...I'd have 10 bucks, at least.

UYI

Since when did album sales mean anything? Celine Dion has sold millons across the world but she still sucks...and yes Creed sucks too...so there!

Oh and the worst music "artists" of all-time for me are L.F.O. who had one hit "Summer Girls" a few years back during the boy band craze and simply had to be the worst song I'd ever heard. That song actually made me want to go shoot anyone wearing Abercrombie & Fitch.

Bored, I think we're sharing the same brain.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Good call. I've never even heard of Blender anyway, and this list renders them a fagazine. Primus worse than Creed..motherfuckers.

Where's America? If they were playing a free concert in my front yard I'd set them on fire and unleash a horde of killer bees.

ELP, Kansas and Mike and the Mechanics are the only bands I have a big problem with here. But, c'mon, there are a lot worse bands out there. Like any bad music list, these are just names that are popular to make fun of and I think has more to do with their name value and legacy than the music itself.

I'm guessing they just mean Starship and they did suck, but that was only after Kantner got fed up and left.

23. Creed

26. Celine Dion

31. Arrested Development

All these artist do NOT belong on the list. Creed not only has a massive following but a few of their songs are good. They have talent and just because a person doesn't like them, doesn't make them one of the worst ever.

Celine Dion, the bitch can sing. You can hate her music(and I do), but to say she sucks is retarded. A major problem with people with music is everything they don't like sucks. And to say it sucks just shows how dumb some of these people are.

To put Arrested Development on this and not have the roots and any other nu-soul group is retarded since AD predates nu-soul and their whole style is so much alike. They didn't have alot of hits, but that doesn't make a group suck. It just means they didnt have alot of hits.

That is just three that struck me as fucking retarded. This list is so crappy it is not even funny.

BTW: How can someone like Benzino be on the list when he started not that long ago. What, Nov, Dec, Jan his album came out. So it is retarded to add him.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Celine Dion is a horrendous singer. Her laughably over the top howling makes bile rise in my throat. She's also one of the creepiest people I've ever seen. She might have a voice, but she has absolutely no idea what to do with it other than make really cheesy and terrible "diva" music.

33. Japan

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's a music artist.

anyway: i don't see why anyone should care anyway, since blender, as a music magazine, sucks. their reviews suck, and their interviews suck even worse. it's totally lacking in any actual content whatsoever. it's fun to read because the layout is flashy and it has lots of pictures. just like their cousin maxim, they're more concerned with pretty photos and making excuses to spout off clever one-liners (which aren't that clever anyway) than doing anything meaningful.

What! they got Arrested Development on there!!!!!!!!! They must haven't listened to their album. Benzino I can understand they have on there if they're going by his RSO years.

I thought Blender was the fanzine that only came out in a CD form which had a few music videos and some songs.

I demand that Stevie B takes Japan's spot and moved to the top 10.

QUOTE (Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye @ Aug 14 2003, 01:52 AM)

22. Primus

14. Yngwie Malmsteen

40. Blind Melon

YOU'VE UNLEASHED THE FUCKING FURY~! 

is the audio for that still around?

I have it on a disc somewhere, I should try to dig it up and post it. It really is the kind of thing that should be revisited every 6 months or so...

Guest Shaved Bear

Primus only has one of the top 3 bassists ever

and theyare incredible musicians they just dont know how to write impactful songs,

I dubb this list worthless

I was getting more at that they have a huge fanbase, not album sales.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Primus only has one of the top 3 bassists ever

and theyare incredible musicians they just dont know how to write impactful songs,

I dubb this list worthless

First of all, who's better?

Second, Les does pen some useful stuff now and again. Too Many Puppies has some political viewpoints, as does To Defy the Laws of Tradition...as far as meaning goes, most of the stuff of his I get into the most is shit I can identify with, like most of Frizzle Fry.

Then again, they've got songs like Space Farm.

How on EARTH can anyone claim that ICP, a group with a fair number of dedicated fans and a number of CDs, is worse then any random 80's artist that no one even remembers?

I argued that EXACT point with a friend of mine.

There are probably a good two dozen artists alone from the whole 80s "New Wave" movement that deserve to be on that list far more than most of the ones listed. "Taco" anyone?

I mean, some of the selections make no sense. Groups like skinny puppy and Live are, at worst, just inconsistent, putting out a good album here and a bad one there.

And Creed absolutely doesn't deserve to be on that list. I know they get a lot of heat, but face the truth, haters - Creed is nothing worse than just mediocre top 40 rock-pop. They're hardly one of the worst groups of all time.