TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BANKYWOOD

I never thought I'd say this

Guest BANKYWOOD

FUCK KEVIN SMITH!

This fucker maintained throughout the past few years that he wouldn't make Fletch Won if Jason Lee didn't get the role. But, of course, since Smith is clearly more intent on making the cash, he has sold out an actor he supposedly had a ton of respect for. Why not just scrap Fletch altogether if Miramax won't allow Lee to have the role? Money, money, money. No one has a gun at his head and FORCING him to do so. Moreover, Chevy Chase will have NO PART in this flick. Kevin had previously stated that he wanted Chevy to narrate the movie. Now that idea is scrapped. But wanna know what irks the shit out of me more? Yea, its who he has in mind for the role. Check this shit out.

"The other 'Fletch' films were Chevy vehicles with a Lakers fetish," said Smith. "We've taken an early novel where the author told the origin of how Fletch got his job on a newspaper. It will stick much closer to McDonald's brilliant dialogue and great characters, and the model for this film is 'Out of Sight.' Though these actors know nothing about this, I've worked down to a short list of Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Jimmy Fallon and Adam Sandler for the role of Fletch."

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Jimmy fucking Fallon? They would rather have Jimmy Fallon instead of Jason Lee? Are they living on fucking Mars? Will Smith? As Fletch? What the FUCK? Affleck? The guy plays the same role in every movie he is in, let alone a movie with different gimmicks and hikinks in it. Brad Pitt? I'll give him credit, he is a fine actor, but could he hack the sarcastic slapstick nature that Chevy perfected? Maybe, but highly doubtful. The only one I'd maybe be happy with is Sandler, but I don't see that materializing into much.

Anyway, I just had to vent. My supposed favorite film maker is going to butcher my FUCKING favorite movie franchise to hell. Whats next, recruiting Colin Farrel to play a young Clark Griswold?

Guest Lethargic

Yeah, fuck Kevin Smith. How dare he try to make money with a movie?? What a dumbass. Obviously he's much more suited at making box office disappointments, so that's what he should stick with.

Easy for you to say, Lethargic, but Smith's been one to historically fight for independent film rights. He has a loyal following, and his films make money. for he, such an outstanding advocate of independant film to completely kowtow to the studios may well be viewed as a dissapointment, no?

Michael Bay can masturbate over how many factors will determine a blockbuster. It's just depressing to see a director who makes unashamedly juvenile, unapologetic flicks to compromise what he said earlier.

For the record, I don't even like the Fletch flicks so much.

Guest Askewniverse

Damn, this sucks. What the hell is wrong with Miramax? Are they purposely trying to piss fans off? They'll allow fuckin' Freddie Prinze Jr. to get a leading role in a movie, but not Jason Lee?

I guess what Brodie said about Miramax in JASBSB was right. "Once they made She's All That, everything went to hell."

No Chevy Chase and no Jason Lee = no money from me.

Edited by Askewniverse

Guest The Old Me

I agree the movie will suck without Lee and no CHEVY?? What are they smoking?

Guest BANKYWOOD
Yeah, fuck Kevin Smith. How dare he try to make money with a movie?? What a dumbass. Obviously he's much more suited at making box office disappointments, so that's what he should stick with.

Spare me your shit.

How would Jimmy Fallon make more money than Jason Lee? Fletch wasn't exactly going to make Smith assloads of money in the first place, so why not just stick to his word and drop the project? Besides, they should hold out on filming this mother to see how badly Jersey Gril will bomb after Smith went Hollywood-happy by casting the flavor of the week (Lopez) instead of a quality actress. He did just fine making quality independent movies with his own casting, why suddenly go all Hollywood and sell those out who brought him to the dance? The only one he casts now is Affleck...which is sad to any View Askew fan.

Oh big surprise that Ben Affleck is on that list. Jesus, Smith, get over it - he's not only a horrible actor, but he just plain old SUCKS!

Guest BANKYWOOD
Oh big surprise that Ben Affleck is on that list. Jesus, Smith, get over it - he's not only a horrible actor, but he just plain old SUCKS!

Also, the public is tired of hearing about and seeing him with his ever-annoying girlfriend. Case in point Gigli. The guy hasn't ever proven to be a good actor, usually its due to a good script whenever he is part of a watchable movie. The guy has no range. Without acting sakills, and numerous box office bombs, why do people continue to think he is an A list actor?

I took my "Fuck Kevin Smith" stance after the painfully unfunny Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. All of his movie before were smart comedies, but this on was just cock jokes. Boring too.

I can't see anyone else but Lee as Fletch. I'll just take a pass on the movie now.

Guest BANKYWOOD

To be honest, I'd even be down on the movie starring Fletch if Chevy wasn't involved one way or another. He IS Fletch, no matter what K. Smith will try to say.

Guest Lethargic
How would Jimmy Fallon make more money than Jason Lee?

I didn't say he would. You're the one that made that assumption in your original post by saying Smith was doing this for the money. I don't think a Fletch movie will make any money no matter who is in it.

Fletch wasn't exactly going to make Smith assloads of money in the first place, so why not just stick to his word and drop the project?

Maybe it's because he wants to do the movie? Maybe him and Lee have decided behind the scenes that Lee doesn't WANT the role or that he's not right for it for whatever reason. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions based on things you don't know. Why don't we wait until the movie gets close to actually being cast to worry about that? Just because Smith ran down a list of names doesn't mean a single one of them will actually want or get the role and it could end up being Lee anyway. Plus, how many times has Smith said something like that, only to post later on his message board saying it was just a joke? The movie was just announced yesterday, nobody knows anything yet. Wait until there's some sort of official word that those are the people they want before bashing him for it.

Chevy was great as Fletch, there's no doubt about that. But if you're going to make another one with a younger Fletch then Jason Lee is the way to go. I even thought that before I heard of the project.

And they can kiss my ass with Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Jimmy Fallon and Adam Sandler.

Guest BANKYWOOD

Smith has been jibber jabbering for YEARS that he WOULD NOT make the movie without Jason Lee. My point is simple: Why can't the man stick to his word. Jason Lee has said on numerous occasions that he would love to do Fletch. Since Harvey Weinstein won't allow Lee to star in it, Kevin Smith should be a man, and live up to his word. I thought he had more professional integrity than he is showing. Clearly he doesn't care about the value of his own word. If Jason Lee gets the part, I'd be fairly excited, but Smith has pretty much written that scenerio out.

Okay, here is Kevin's response to the whole "Kevin is a f%$#ing sellout/ Kevin stabbed Lee in the back/ Fletch will suck ass now that Lee's not the star" thing.

Posted by Kevin at 205.147.8.135 on August 14, 2003 at 12:19:14:

Using Chasing Mallclerks thoughts from a post below as my jumping off point...

: Adam Sandler's comic timing is all wrong for a young Chevy (because let's face it, Chevy is

the mark with which you must start from)

No - Chevy is not the mark from which we must start. Go read the books: Fletch is not Chevy Chase.

: Brad Pitt actually has the most hope on this list after seeing his role in "Oceans Eleven", but

I just can't see him pulling off the slap stick side of Fletch.

Again - go read the books: there IS no slap stick.

: Jimmy Fallon has zero Box office clout, and would be seen as even a greater gamble...So if

you were to consider him, why not just go with the better Jason Lee.

See, the thing is, thanks to "SNL", Fallon's got a rabid fan-following. His college gigs are big

draws just like Sandler's were, prior to his breaking out in movies.

In Harvey's perspective, Lee has been the star of movies that didn't open, nor go on to earn

very much. So, actually, to Harvey, the unproven Jimmy Fallon is potentially worth taking a

risk on, as he hasn't struck out yet.

: Ben Afleck would just be a slap in the face for Jason Lee. He could pull it off, but not like

Jason Lee.

If you read the book, Ben's actually the closest to the character. Lee's definitely closer if you

were doing the Chevy version of Fletch, but Ben - the REAL Ben, not a Ben you've seen

onscreen or on talk shows before - is closest to the book version of Fletch. And the book

version is the Fletch we're making.

I love Lee. I can't imagine anyone would doubt that, even now. I fought for Lee, for almost

three years now (Harvey bough the Fletch library for us the night of the first "Bounce" test

screening, which was long before I even had a first draft of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back").

And recently, I had Harvey in the best bargaining position of my entire nearly-ten year

career, at which time, I forced the Lee-as-Fletch issue once again. And even then, he was

still resolute.

And I'd said before "If it's not Lee, I'm not doing it." Said that for at least a year, hoping to

send Miramax a clear message. They got the message, alright - but rather than relenting

and giving Lee the greenlight, they were just going to let the option on the books lapse.

And I'm sorry - I don't want to see someone else making a Fletch flick that yet again doesn't

resemble the character in the books that have been so influential on my writing. So I opted

to stay with the flick, minus Lee.

What can I say? I took a swing. Shit, I took a lot of swings. Had Miramax agreed to Lee, this

flick would've been made BEFORE "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back." But it just wasn't to be.

So you've got two choices: either grumble about the Lee-less Fletch movie we're going to

make from now until the end of time, or open yourself up to the idea that maybe - just

maybe - our Fletch flick is gonna be good, regardless of who gets cast.

Click Here for the original message.

Guest Choken One

Personally...I think Pitt could pull it off...

Aside from Meet Joe Black...Has he sucked in ANY movie?

Did he really suck in Meet Joe Black or was that just a overly long, overly talky crap on wheels disaster of a film that no one could save.

It sounds like Smith's response to every question is "you're a fucking moron, go read the books." Thing is, NO ONE has ever read the Fletch books and they're used to the Fletch of the movies. It's an interesting predicament. You're trying to launch a film series from a book series, where two films already exist and are seen as the measuring stick. I can just see Fletch tanking big time and Smith winds up in the looney bin with drool coming out of his mouth while mumbling "why didn't you read the book? why didn't you read the book? why didn't you read the book?"