TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MissMattitude

Most Underrated Bands.

I've yet to find another Pissing Razors fan, but they have some of the greatest metal riffs I've ever heard. Unfortunately, their best is probably behind them. They're on their third lead singer now.

I dig Pissing Razors, but I'm with you about them having peaked. They've got cool album covers.

Guest MissMattitude
The Kinks are definitly better than most of the british bands, and are equal to the Beatles, and Stones...

but to say they were better than the Who is outlandish.

I think The Kinks are on about the same level as The Who but I don't like The Beatles at all.

Guest stardust

I totally agree with the two people who said Maroon 5 and The Fags, and I'm gonna throw Blue October onto that list as well.

Also, The Nixons (even though they broke up about two years ago).

Grinspoon are underrated, awesome live band.

Silvercahir have evolved, but I liked their old stuff better, 'The Door' was awesome.

Sevendust is underrated.

NIN? Underrated? Where the hell are you from, and why haven't anybody heard of them? NIN, if anything, is overrated. So many teenagers and younger adults (20's and early 30's) think NIN are so cool for being all weird and stuff, when in reality, they fucking suck. Kinda sad when Filter's first album is better than EVERYTHING NIN ever recorded, and Filter has become a bitch band...

Except for the fucking suck part, what you said could be said about Tool and Radiohead, because both of them are weird.

Filter first album better than Downward Spiral...Please I should revoke your metal license for saying that.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Tool being weird is kind of a misnomer, I think. Opiate is some pretty straightforward stuff, and Undertow is similar, only a lot darker. Their latter two albums aren't really THAT off the wall, compared to the earlier progressive stuff that's served them as influences.

NIN lyrics are immature and often ridiculous, and I think most of us sorta wear them out by the time we pass 15 or 16, but I don't care because I love the soundscapes Reznor creates. That might be why Broken is my favorite album of his: 22 minutes of concentrated rage, and the vocals are more a half-distorted ranting with occasional loveable phrases like "fist fuck" pushing up through the surface.

I wish the guy did more instrumentals. "A Warm Place" is probably my favorite track on Downward Spiral.

The Kinks are definitly better than most of the british bands, and are equal to the Beatles, and Stones...

I think The Kinks are on about the same level as The Who but I don't like The Beatles at all.

Beatles > Kinks > Rolling Stones > Who

The Who, in my opinion, are a pretty decent band with a really awful lead singer. I certainly have no problem admitting that I enjoy some of their work, but I can't say as though I've ever found any one of their albums to be tolerable all the way through. The Kinks, on the other hand, have about six landmark albums that have stood the test of time just as well as those of any of their more popular contemporaries. But having two songwriters of the calibre of Lennon and McCartney as opposed to one in Ray Davies is impossible to overcome, regardless of how brilliant he was. And as far as the Stones go...they're definitely more important to the development of rock music than the Kinks are, but I just happen to prefer their music.

awful singer?

decent band?

Roger Daultry is a terrific singer and performer.

Pete Townshead maybe not be the best guitarist in the world, but his lyrics make up for that, and is over-looked on how well he writes them.

John Entwistle made the bass so versitile, instead of just keepin the beat like most other bands back then do.

Keith Moon...well...I can't really say much about him. He's good, and is a nut on the stage.

The Kinks are a great band, and Ray Davies is a phenomenal writer, but there isn't even a comparison to the Who. The Kinks is a lot better than The Who's early stuff, but after Live at Leeds and up, The Who wrote some of the best material ever.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Who's rhythm section is really what carried that band. Keith Moon was way ahead of his time, and Entwhistle's riffage never failed to impress.

I certainly have no problem admitting that I enjoy some of their work, but I can't say as though I've ever found any one of their albums to be tolerable all the way through

Not even Live at Leeds?

I'll throw a vote in for The Kinks, who are easily one of my favorite bands and, as far as British invasion stuff goes, were easily the equals of the Beatles and Rolling Stones and SO much better than The Who.  Their early singles are brilliant and Ray Davies developed into one of the great songwriters of all time around Face to Face.  And while they're acknowledged from time to time (particularly in relation to Blur, who they obviously had a major influence on), they're really not as revered as they should be.

Totally agree there, I easily like them as much as The Beatles (I'm sure somebody shouted me down for arguing the exact same case in the classic 'contentious statements' thread and said they weren't underrated - I don't think it was Kinetic though). Another underrated band who are sometimes referred to as having influenced Blur are XTC. Personally I think The Kinks just wrote better songs than than The Who but they're possibly not suitable bands to compare as although they shared some traits they weren't strictly bands of the same ilk.

I'll throw a vote in for The Kinks, who are easily one of my favorite bands and, as far as British invasion stuff goes, were easily the equals of the Beatles and Rolling Stones and SO much better than The Who.  Their early singles are brilliant and Ray Davies developed into one of the great songwriters of all time around Face to Face.  And while they're acknowledged from time to time (particularly in relation to Blur, who they obviously had a major influence on), they're really not as revered as they should be.

Totally agree there, I easily like them as much as The Beatles (I'm sure somebody shouted me down for arguing the exact same case in the classic 'contentious statements' thread and said they weren't underrated - I don't think it was Kinetic though).

it might have been me. :D

Oasis.

Everyone here jumps them long before they have the chance to prove they're fucking brilliant. Definetely Maybe & Morning Glory are two of the greatest British rock records ever written, and EVEN THOUGH RECORD SALES DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT TALENT, they are only second to the Beatles in terms of album sales within Britain.

They do a mean cover of 'I Am The Walrus' too.

UYI

Guest mesepher
Pete Townshead maybe not be the best guitarist in the world, but his lyrics make up for that, and is over-looked on how well he writes them.

he's gotten much MUCH better in time... did you see them on the last tour? smokin' guitarist.

Guest MissMattitude

The Who, in my opinion, are a pretty decent band with a really awful lead singer.

Thats blashemous... Roger Daltrey is amazing.

The Who, in my opinion, are a pretty decent band with a really awful lead singer.

Thats blashemous... Roger Daltrey is amazing.

Blashemous I tell you!

Guest Ray

I'd like to mention Motorhead.

I feel they don't get enough respect.....maybe because Triple H likes them. :unsure:

and Steve Hackett, great guitarist. Hell Genesis put out the third best live album ever called Seconds Out, next behind Rock In Rio and Live At Leeds

I may get ripped on for this but old Kiss is underated. Think about it. While the makeup, the theatrics and the way they were promoted definitely made them superstars - their music from the 70's has with stood the test of time. Despite the fact that you never hear anything but Rock N Roll All Nite and Detroit Rock City on classic rock radio the bulk of their material from that era still holds up today. They weren't great musicians, we all know that but the songs were good. Similar to The Ramones in simplicity. The number of musicians who first picked up an instrument and decided to get into rock n roll because of Kiss is astonishing. Almost every band from 80's hair bands and metal acts to 90's alternative and grunge site them as an influence. Whether it be Bret Michaels, Kirk Hammett, Sabastian Bach, Kurt Kobain, Billy Corgan or J Macias. They sell out venues to this day on reputation - not airplay because radio and critics will never give them their props.

KISS are underrated as a pop band. I just love how a band could produce the cheesiest music on earth and be accused of worshipping Satan. And I always preffered the older stuff too.

EDIT: I found this funny, my friend was walking around London wearing a KISS shirt, and these skaters shouted 'Hey man, don't force your beliefs onto us!'

Right, whenever my grandparents pulled the Knights in Satan's Service deal on me, I'd just play Beth, Hard Luck Woman or worst yet the Peter Criss and Paul Stanley solo albums.