TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Power outages reported in Northeast

Biggest? Maybe. We had on the west coast a power outage that stretched from San Diego up the Pacific coastline to north of Seattle, maybe into Canada or something.

It's certainly not the longest. The Big NY Power Outage of the 60s went on for several days.

Guest Choken One

It might be LARGEST in terms of Space...NYC-OHIO-Toronto is a large space...

Biggest? Maybe. We had on the west coast a power outage that stretched from San Diego up the Pacific coastline to north of Seattle, maybe into Canada or something.

It's certainly not the longest. The Big NY Power Outage of the 60s went on for several days.

Well, they said 50 million people are affected, so that's where they prob. got "biggest".

Buffalo's fine.

Well, except for, y'know, having to live in Buffalo :P

The best part of this?

I'm sure Barron is sitting in his room, crying that he can't watch his "Best of Steve Regal" tapes.

But if I were in New York.. first thing I would have done, is find a restuarant, and smoke the place out, all the while mouthing "Fuck You Bloomburg".

Guest Choken One

Ummm...Just a hunch but I don't think resturants are open for service right now...

We were out for about 6 hours (probably a little less, actually), and we got our power back about an hour and a half ago. It was weird, since it went out for about 5 seconds or so, came back on for a few seconds, then cut back out again.

That happened twice ehre... we've been told that we might not get our power back fro a couple of days.... bummer.

We got our power back a half-hour ago. Jesus christ. The intersections were NIGHTMARES without lights (especially with multiple-lane roads).

At least Vince McMahon might have a decent excuse when it comes to Smackdown's rating, for once.

Edited by DerangedHermit

People driving like idiots who don;t know that a traffic signal out at an intersection is a *4 WAY STOP*.

But as bad as it was here in Michigan, it was FAR worse when I lived in Orlando.

Guest stardust

He most likely did, though, since he's from the Bronx. I was watching CNN earlier wondering if I would see him walking down the street in those massive crowds.

Guest stardust
How would you spot him?

He's 5'6 for crying out loud

You never know, though, he could've worn his lifts to work today. *grin*

People driving like idiots who don;t know that a traffic signal out at an intersection is a *4 WAY STOP*.

That was fucking awful. A lot of people on Long Island basically ignored the stop sign rule, and went when they saw holes in the massive backups (It was especially awful on huge roads like 111, 112, Motor Parkway, and the service roads.) It's not like they stop for regular stop signs, though...

Guest Cerebus

I was lucky, most of connecticut (where I live) west of the river was hit but not east (which I live on the border of)...whew.

the weird thing is all around the Niagara Region was blacked out, with the exception of my little small town, since we have 5 turbines in the weir generating power...

But I missed Steely Dan because of this :angry:

My concern now is that terrorists know how one power grid affects the country. It probably wouldn't be hard for them to learn about the other power grids. They probably couldn't just fly planes into buildings this time, but if they can make 75% of the country dark, imagine the chaos that would result. We are a country dependent on power, and the easiest way to cripple us is to take that away.

Guest Retro Rob

I was without power from 4 PM - 1 AM. Not too many fascinating stories to add besides the fact that my grandfather decided to go into the City that afternoon. The guy is in his late 70s and suffers from shortness of breath. His train stopped before Manhattan, I think in Queens. So he decided to walk home from Queens to New Hyde Park. Those of you who do not live around here, use this as your perspective. His train stopped at 3PM and no one was evacuated until 5 PM. He got home at 8:30 PM.

As for me, I was bored out of my mind, but at least I had power back once I went to bed so I was able to use a ceiling fan. That had to be the hottest night in over a month. As of right now, people just a few blocks from me still have no power. Strange how random and sporadic it is.

I was without power from 4 PM - 1 AM.

Where do you live on the Island? I got my power back in Bellport around 1:15 a.m., and I heard places like Stony Brook, Holbrook, Farmingville, Rocky Point, and Northport got it back in the late evening.

And also, it seemed that for a little while, that half of my neighborhood had no lights, and that half did.

Got power back this morning. Oddly enough, I had power for about 3 or 4 hours after the big blackout, despite being surrounded by people with no power. At any rate, it sucked. Big time.

Guest Retro Rob
I was without power from 4 PM - 1 AM.

Where do you live on the Island? I got my power back in Bellport around 1:15 a.m., and I heard places like Stony Brook, Holbrook, Farmingville, Rocky Point, and Northport got it back in the late evening.

And also, it seemed that for a little while, that half of my neighborhood had no lights, and that half did.

I'm closer to Queens, Valley Stream/Franklin Square. My aunt who lives in Commack didn't get it back until early this morning, which was kind of weird because at first they were reporting that Suffolk was ahead of Nassau.

BAH!

I live about an hour from Detroit, we're fine, just have to boil water for drinking. I went into work today which is 39 miles from here and about a half hour from Detroit...no power.

And coming home northbound the expressway way packed. People with nothing better to do are going up north in Michigan.

I bet Dames is fucked somewhere.

Yeah I was thinking that too.

Wouldn't Dames have his power back since he lives in New York?

I just got my power back around whenever it was power the came back on. Man, I had no idea what was happening when the power went out. At first, I thought my mom didn't pay the bills, but then a man across from our house said his power went out too. To make matters worse my sister was about 4 cities away and my mom's Honda had barely enough gas to get to where my sister was and get back home. Yesterday was the most chaotic day of my life, right next to 9/11.

I live right next to Detroit so everything's fine, except for the water. I drank some water straight from the tap an hour or two after the blackout first hit so I think I'm fine.