TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

New Lightbulbs can wipe out WiFi signals

Interesting article

Steve predicted the extinction of 802.11 WiFi wireless networking because of RF interference from a new kind of light bulb. This new lighting source uses RF energy to excite a gas that then glows brightly, which sounds a heck of a lot like a neon lamp, except this light, which comes from a company called Fusion Lighting, is supposed to be vastly more energy efficient than neon. This apparently catches us between a rock and a bright place: Do we want wireless LANs and satellite radio, or would we prefer to build fewer power plants and import less oil? ..

But you'd think the FCC at least would care. They worry that your PC will interfere with your TV and this Fusion Lighting thing, according to Steve, could wipe out WiFi coverage within a half mile radius of a SINGLE BULB. Replace all the street lights in a city and WiFi is dead.

But the FCC takes a benign view of interference in what is otherwise unlicensed spectrum. Anyone can play in the 2.4 GHz band, they say, as long as they play nice. And Fusion Lighting, for its part, claims to be playing nice, complying with every FCC requirement. I believe them.

So while there technically isn't a violation, you'd think the WiFi card and hub makers would be upset about this affecting sales. To the contrary, I think they secretly like it. You see networking technologies quickly become commoditized in today's market. When you can buy a 10/100 Ethernet adapter for $9.95, as I recently did, how much profit can the maker of the card be banking? Not much. That's why they like WiFi, because wireless hubs and adapters are earlier on the development curve and more expensive, which means more profitable. But if you've been pricing WiFi components, you'll notice they've dropped by half in the past year and will do the same and more in the next. They are being commoditized, and will eventually be designed directly into products or sold as $9.95 add-ons like Ethernet.

That's where 802.11a comes in. This follow-on to 802.11b not only runs at up to 54 megabits-per-second, it requires us to buy all new stuff. And 802.11a operates at 5.8 GHz, another unlicensed band that is completely free from light bulbs. THAT's why the WiFi manufacturers don't mind Fusion Lighting. By the time it is a factor -- if ever -- all Fusion Lighting will really do is get us all to move to 802.11a, making more money for the WiFi folks. They love it.

Read the rest of the article for the specific technical stuff. I take it that the lightbulbs might not be adopted en mass for several years, but Wi Fi networks are and most people are buying the cheap versions which could be rendered useless by the lightbulbs.