TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

HDD problem with amount of space free.

I've got a problem with my hard disks and its driving me mad, I dont have a clue what could be causing it.

Basically I have two Hard drives set up. One (C:\) is 10gb and the other (E:\) is 5gb.

I've been trying to burn VCD's but it wont work fully. When I go to burn it doesn't fully read the files I want to burn. I put this down to the fact that there is not enough free temp space on drive C (this has always been the problem before). So I decided to delete files from C: and move some files across to E: to free up space.

This is where the problems start...

For some reason, the amount of available free space seems to be screwed up. The amount will just vastly change for no reason, and I have no true idea of how much free space there actually is.

Here are some examples.

I went to burn a CD, but it wouldn't fully work even though (right click on C drive -> properties) was showing over 1gb of free space. I decided to reboot my PC, and when I checked after that there is only 200mb free! :huh:

I then moved a 600 mb file to E: and it showed that I had 800 mb free. The CD still would not burn so I shut down and rebooted again and it shows 250mb free, even though the file is now on E:.

I'm getting more and more annoyed at this point so I decide to move a load of stuff over to E:, and basically fill up E: drive (only 100mb was left free). This now left me with 800mb free on C:. I go to burn the CD and supprise supprise it still doesn't fully work. I reboot and now I only have 50mb free on C: drive.

The only thing I can think of is that the CD writting software (Adaptec Easy CD creator 4 deluxe) is leaving temp files all over C: when the cd burn attempts are unsuccesful. However, I've looked for files like this and can't find them, and I've run Norton clean sweep to get rid of needless files and it does nothing.

Im now in the position where I can do very little as I have practically no hard drive space left.

Does any one have any idea as to what is happening and what I can do to try and fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Hayabusa Moleman

Are you actually deleting the files from the first HD after you transfer to the second one? I don't have two HDs, so I don't know how that works exactly. Also, isn't there a way to make your computer think the two HDs are one? Anyway, I don't know too much about this, but you can try this program: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r61.html

It lets you see graphically what is taking up alot of space on your HD. It is a little weird to get used to, but it may help you out.

I've been cutting and pasting the files, so that I know for sure that nothing is getting left behind.

Thanks for the link though, Ill give it a try.

Worked a treat!

Ive tracked down 5 files in C:\Windows\Temp

Together they come to 2.68 Gb. Im now in two minds as to weather of not it is safe to delete them. Here are the names of the files:

VCRC073.TMP

VCR6385.TMP

VCR91C3.TMP

VCRA0B3.TMP

VCRC343.TMP

Anyone now if it will be safe to delete these files?

Guest Hayabusa Moleman

Chances are it'll be safe to delete them since they are only temp files and windows should normally delete them when you turn your PC off. Check the date those files were created and last accessed. It is possible that these are left over from around the time you were transfering files.

Check the date those files were created and last accessed.

Good idea.

They were all made on the 15th of august. That is probably very close to the date I was trying to burn the VCD's.

Ill delete them and see what happens.