TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LaParkaYourCar

My second TASW show...a review

I don't know how many of you read my last rant on Texas All-Star Wrestling back in May, but it's probably somewhere a few pages back if you want to search for it. Unless the crash took it out.

Here's the TASW Website

Tonight I went to my second TASW show. This show took place at the Humble Bingo Hall in Humble, TX. It was known as "The Humble Rumble" This show wasn't as good as the last one, but it was still fun. Most of the night the old guy next to me was bugging me to give him a ride home after the show, but he creeped me out.

TASW's long time ref, known to the fans as "Bones", is leaving for Florida soon. So this was his last night in TASW. As a farewell the promoter (Brother Icarus) came out of retirement to team up with Bones in a match.

First off they bring out the new ref and this guy has no charisma what so ever. I know he's just a ref, but even the refs need to get into the action. This guy sometimes forgot to count! The fans hated the new ref right away since they loved Bones so much. The new ref was named Brandon I think.

Let's get to the matches. First up:

JOHNNY DOLLAR VS. JUSTIN BLAZE

Dollar looked like a fat Jake Roberts......oh wait....maybe it was Jake Roberts? No definitely not Jake Roberts. Even Roberts in all his present "glory" is better than this guy. Blaze looks like a 12 year old kid and already I know this is a miss match and probably won't turn out good.

And I was right. Dollar basically squashed the kid in a match that went longer than it should have. Dollar at one point missed a Clothesline, but the kid still sold it. Paging Jackie Gayda, we finally found your match!

Winner: Johnny Dollar

Verdict: DUD

Next Match: BRET BASICS (Cruiser Champ) VS. VOODOO THE EXECUTIONER in a Non Title Match

These are two of TASW's brightest stars. For some reason this is non title and the fans boo that decision. This was your basic back and forth atheltic display. It was crisp and well done except for one moment where there was a miscommunication that led to an awkward pause in the match.

The match ended in a Double Countout, which drew a "bullshit" chant from the crowd. The new ref took almost a minute to start counting them out anyway. Both men fight back to the ring and start asking for Five more minutes. They even get the crowd chanting "five more minutes", but alas they don't get it, but Basics agrees to give him a title shot down the line.

Winner: Double Count Out

Verdict: ** (Would have been more if the awkward pause didn't happen and the match didn't end the way it did.)

Next match: Bones' Farewell match: BONES, BROTHER ICARUS, and SCOBY GOBER VS. MR. ENTERTAINMENT, ROCCO CARMANOOCH, and NARK THE NEVULON

Scoby, for those who read my last rant, has lost some weight since I last saw him. He still has the gut, but he's looking to get in better shape. For some reason Scoby comes out with a Scooby Doo doll and I guess gives it to a fan. Maybe it's a play off his name? Mr. Entertainment or Mr. E is just your typical cocky heel, but he's dyed his hair bleach blonde recently. He used to have dark hair. Nark the Nevulon looks like a cross between the Blue Power Ranger and Psychosis. In fact the fans all called him Power Ranger.

The match itself was fun, mostly because of the atmosphere since it was Bones last match. Bones is a little skinny guy, but he was a ref so he didn't need to be huge. He's a funny guy and a good dancer. He seems to have been trained as a wrestler because he did good in there. The match started with some heel stalling and dirty tricks, but eventually broke down. Even the new ref wanted Bones to go out with a bang so the new ref busted out a Springboard Cross Body to the outside onto the heels! Later the heels bring out a table, but of course it backfires on them and Nark takes a sick bump through the table off the top rope to the outside. Nark is laid out for quite awhile and has to be helped to the back. The match ends when Bro. Icarus hits a Claw Slam on Rocco for the three count.

Winner: Bones, Icarus, and Scoby

Verdict: **3/4 (gets added points for the fun factor)

Next Match: BOBBY 2-BADD VS. ZENZEN

Not a bad match at all. Last time I said that I didn't see much in Bobby 2 Badd, but he did a lot better this time. Of course he didn't do much last time. The fans seem to not care too much for him. A bunch of them were like "oh not him" when his music started. ZenZen on the other hand has a good look and pretty decent skills. The match was pretty decent except for a blown Thesz Press where Bobby didn't get much height. The match also loses points for the fact that Bobby won with a Backdrop Suplex! Get a real finisher man!

Winner: Bobby 2-Badd

Verdict: **1/2

Next match: MICHAEL STRIDER (TASW Champ) VS. BUBBA LEE TRAVIS (aka BLT) VS. CHRIS ALLEN for the TASW Title

BLT's mom stood right beside me taking pictures and talking with me. BLT is a big guy, not tall, and I wouldn't really say fat. He's a cornfed offensive lineman looking kid...but he was doing Suicide Dives and Swanton Bombs! This kid could move! I wouldn't say he was big enough to be a Hoss though, but still very impressive for his size. Chris Allen as you may remember from my last rant is the Kurt Angle Jr. guy. He can wrestle and his look may say Kurt Angle, but his moveset is different.

First thing we find out is that Strider is gone! He hasn't shown up the last two events and therefore is stripped of the title. (He probably moved on to another Indy Fed) But since the fans came to see a Title Match the match is now BLT vs. Chris Allen for the title!

Great little match that, as I said above, showed that BLT had some great agility. He also had some good wrestling skills. The match ends a little lame though. Allen pulls the ref (Who is now Bones as a special gift to the fans since they hated the other guy) into the way as BLT goes for an Avalanche in the corner. Bones goes down and Allen hits a low blow. He then rolls BLT up and gets the three count to become the new TASW Champion. Afterwards Allen beats up both BLT and Bones. Allen hits BLT in the head with his newly won title and then cuts a promo that finishes his heel turn that was hinted at in the last show I went to. Not bad of a promo either.

Winner: Chris Allen (New TASW Champ)

Verdict: ***

Final Match: THE HUMBLE RUMBLE STREET FIGHT

Basically 14 of TASW's stars had a Hardcore Battle Royal where Pinfalls and Submissions determined eliminations. I can't remember who all was in it, but it was a lot shorter than it should have been since it was hyped up all night long. Only one person bled and that was the winner. Bones shows up in drag to try and sneak in a win even though he wasn't in it. In a funny moment he made a pass at someone next to me. Most of the weapons shots were weak and the thing was hard to follow.

Winner: Mr. Entertainment (he will now get a shot next month against the Hardcore Champ Hugh Rogue)

Verdict: * (only for the comedy factor that made the match atleast somewhat enjoyable.)

All in all it wasn't as good as the last one I went to, but this one atleast had more matches.

I'll try to go to more of the shows and provide reviews for all of you. Thank you for reading.

Good review. I checked out TASW when I was in Texas on holiday this year, you might remember me saying that before.

Shame about Strider leaving, I didn't think he was too bad when I saw him.

Blaze looks like a 12 year old

Did the fans get on him about that? I think he should turn heel. He could draw heel heat really easily. When I was there, people were chanting "Has Justin hit puberty yet?" and all sorts of other things.

I just wanted to bump this thread to say that the promoter of TASW passed away a few days ago in his sleep.

His name was Randy Pernoski, but they called him Brother Icarus.

EDIT: he's not the main promoter. He's more of the announcer and spokesperson I guess you could say. He's the guy you see every show announcing the matches and organizing things. He was like the backbone of the company.

Edited by LaParkaYourCar

Man that sucks. I had my picture taken with him when I was on holiday. He seemed like a great bloke, he gave us a shout out during the show for being from England.

He cant have been that old either.

RIP