TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gwf0704

MLW (Major League Wrestling)

Just wondering how many others are fans of MLW out of Florida.

For those that don't know its an independent wrestling promotion that is more of an ECW clone than anything else, but its got an awesome roster of talent such as:

Mike Awesome

Simon Diamond/CW Anderson/Steve Corino (Extreme Horsemen)

Fallen Angel Christopher Daniels

Dr Death Steve Williams

Terry Funk

Ikuto Hidaka

Homicide

Satoshi Kojima

Jerry Lynn

CM Punk

Raven

Sabu

Sandman

Norman Smiley

Masato Tanaka

D-Lo Brown

Vampiro

I've seen the show since it premiered on satellite on the Sunshine Network, right after RAW and sometimes the wrestlings better.

It even has Joey Styles as the play by play guy for those who miss him. So much for retiring from the sport. If any of you want to check out the website for shows or videos of matches its www.mlw.com.

Just thought those of you who are tired of the same old WWE and NWA / TNA matches...

If you look at a few older posts you will seem some reviews/results of MLW's latest stuff.

Ive seen a couple of Underground TV's and I didn't thing it was that bad. Jerry Lynn was playing a heel though, which seemed wierd as I'm used to him getting a huge FWA face reaction.

I'm a fan, although they seem to be recycling the same matches show after show, but their upcoming Summer Apocalypse card is looking good. For some reason my cable company quit airing Underground TV.

Guest DeputyHawk

it's not so much that they have a great roster of talent, just that they can afford to bring in a lot of the top indie/unsigned workers for their monthly shows. i doubt any of them would claim a great loyalty to MLW. i haven't seen any of the shows yet, but i'm certainly keeping a eye on their development.

i would love it if tna, roh and mlw pooled their resources and made a major bid for tv & merchandising deals to become a viable no.2 company. they pretty much share their rosters as it is. ain't gonna happen though.

i would love it if tna, roh and mlw pooled their resources and made a major bid for tv & merchandising deals to become a viable no.2 company. they pretty much share their rosters as it is. ain't gonna happen though.

No that isn't goign to happen any time soon, but it would be awesome to see. Not only for the fact that it would make Vince crap himself, but perhaps he would tsrat using his talent properlly.

How do you think the talent would react to this? Although they would have full time contarcts earning more money, they wouldn't be able to choose where they work and would work fewer shows. It could be less financially rewarding than workign for many diferent promotions.

Guest DeputyHawk

less dates (unless they took the product on the road) but i'm sure if exposure for a unified product grew, live gates and merchandise would increase, and the gross paydays would be better. bah, wishful thinking. low ki, chris daniels, a.j, doug williams et al in a national promotion which booked to the strengths of the workers ...

Guest Jesse

Big MLW fan here.

I went to Rise Of The Renegades last month and am going to Summer Apocolypse Friday night. ROTR was awesome and the upcoming one looks even better on paper.

I'm already planning for the September show in Ft. Lauderdale as well. They're advertising a War Games match for that one. Should be interesting.

BTW, you left Los Maximos off your talent list in the first post. Shame on you. :bonk: Those guys rule.

Guest The Notorious CRD

I'm a big MLW fan and was thrilled when my cable company added the sports channels that air it. My favorite part about the promotion is how it feels so much like ECW. I guess I missed that. :)

BTW, you left Los Maximos off your talent list in the first post. Shame on you. :bonk: Those guys rule.

Uh, Los Maximos are like a tag team combination of Sabu and Jeff Hardy(as in they blow spots). I've seen better high-flyers than those 4.

Doesn't change the fact that they are on the MLW roster, and from what I've heard, had a great match against Jimmy Yang and Tony Mamaluke at Rise of the Renegades. I wish Red would come back to MLW, he and Super Crazy always put on a great match.

Guest Jesse
Doesn't change the fact that they are on the MLW roster, and from what I've heard, had a great match against Jimmy Yang and Tony Mamaluke at Rise of the Renegades. 

Exactly. And yes, that was a great match.

Edited by Jesse

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Vampiro hasn't been on a MLW taping since December 2002 and he pretty much isn't coming back from what I heard. Of course I aven't read the last show results so maybe he came back again.

I upgraded my satellite package just last week to specifically get MLW. I didn't know much about it going in last week and was suprised at how ECW it felt. It was good to see Terry Funk and some of the others. Is the Summer Apacolypse a show they'll eventually be showing on tv, a ppv or is it just for the live crowd?

I saw Vampiro on CMLL this weekend. He shaved his head and doesn't wear facepaint any more. Not sure how long he's been going with that look.

Guest Jesse
Is the Summer Apacolypse a show they'll eventually be showing on tv, a ppv or is it just for the live crowd?

Here's how it works: MLW has a tv taping once a month and they show a couple matches a week on tv until the next taping. In other words, the Summer Apocalypse matches will be shown on MLW Underground each week until the September tv taping.

Doesn't change the fact that they are on the MLW roster, and from what I've heard, had a great match against Jimmy Yang and Tony Mamaluke at Rise of the Renegades.

They may have had a good tag team match with Yang and Mamaluke, but that's just one of the few good matches Los Maximos have been in. A few good matches doesn't make them great unless they're having consistently good matches or at least trying to have good matches, which they usually don't unless they're carried by the now-defunct XXX from TNA or other superior wrestlers.

To respond to the other part of the post, yes, I am aware that they are on the roster. I'm not stupid.

Guest trickstyle_360

Not a big fan of MLW. Joey Styles's announcing is subpar now. Just because they have names doesn't mean they're good. You could see half of their card at ROH shows having way better matches.

Guest Burning Hammer
I saw Vampiro on CMLL this weekend. He shaved his head and doesn't wear facepaint any more. Not sure how long he's been going with that look.

He has been going with that look since he lost his hair vs hair match against shocker in march i believe. CMLL is on a huge ass tape delay of like 3 months on Galavision so who knows if he kept that look but he probably did as he looks good with it.

He hasn't worn the facepaint for a while now.

By the way you should get the stuff leading up to and including the vampiro/shocker hair vs hair match. Some of the best stuff I've seen this year.

Guest Ping Von Erich

MLW is a very valuable company … even with their roster, filled with the same use by almost every other major American independent, they manager to book so incredibly, and swing matches so clean they truly are one of the fastest rising promotions out there. The owner Court Bower (sp?) is smart to add that twist of “hybrid” wrestling … sort of like what ROH does with the Code of Honor … it gives the whole show a different feel than anything TNA, CZW, IWA, or any other promotion. I’m a huge MLW fan, and hope and pray Underground TV expands over my area soon.

He has been going with that look since he lost his hair vs hair match against shocker in march i believe. CMLL is on a huge ass tape delay of like 3 months on Galavision so who knows if he kept that look but he probably did as he looks good with it.

He hasn't worn the facepaint for a while now.

By the way you should get the stuff leading up to and including the vampiro/shocker hair vs hair match. Some of the best stuff I've seen this year.

I watched the CMLL/AAA show this past weekend and saw the Heavy Meta/El Dandy dog collar chain match. The blade job Heavy Metal did was sick.