TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rawmvp

RVD on NO HOLDS BARRED radio

Guest rawmvp

Rob opened up saying that he's really enjoying the angle with Kane. He said he's never really been involved in an angle that was so storyline driven. He added that he's felt conected to Kane since he first joined the company and attacked him during the Invasion angle. He said he really likes Kane as a person and he's looking forward to their PPV match next weekend.

He said he's used to working his ass off and then having someone else come out and take a bow as he feels that's just the way things go in the WWE. He also stated that he doesn't like having so many people involved in one particular angle as has been the case with his storyline with Kane and he feels that if they can simply stick to what they've been doing together on the house shows rather then worrying about so many other outside factors, then the fans will really enjoy their battle at Summerslam.

He said he truly appreciates his fans and their willingness to voice their concerns about his character and his role in the company. He said it's easy to see what is going on in the company and the fans aren't stupid but there isn't much he can do about it and he's learned throughout time to just worry about what he can control which is his in-ring performance. He feels if he's limited to only 2-3 moves on a show then he's going to do everything he can to make sure they're the best 2 or 3 moves he can put forward. He finished his statement by saying that he doesn't see things changing anytime soon and the company has been operating the same way for a long time and whether he's the first match on the show or the last match on the show he's going to do whatever it takes to entertain his fans and not worry about how the company uses him because he isn't going to change who he is to get ahead.

Rob said that there were discussions to move to Smackdown when Paul Heyman was in charge but since changes took place on the program with the creative direction there haven't been any discussions of moving. He said he would've entertained the thought when Paul was in charge of Smackdown but as of now he'd rather to stay on RAW because he prefers working a LIVE show and thinks his character fits in better.

He said that when he's on the road one of his favorite things to do is stop by local comic book stores and check out new items. He said he's like a kid in a candy store when it comes to comic book collecting and he's really excited about his new store "5 Star Comics". He added that the store is located in the Lakewood Center Mall which is 1 mile from the Long Beach Airport and it's the best of both worlds because it has plenty of comic books as well as various forms of wrestling merchandise. He says that he visits the store once a week to check on how things are going and to get feedback from customers and next Thursday he will be signing autographs at the store.

He says he loves keeping his mind open when it comes to the future but he doesn't envision making the store his only line of work because it wouldn't bring him the kind of income he generates with the WWE. One other thing he really enjoys doing is writing and he says he works on a lot of different projects and one is currently in the works that will be released this fall in comic book form. He said that the project is not wrestling related but it will have his name on it and it will show a different side of who he is.

When asked about his relationship with the writing team he said that a couple of weeks ago he was walking by the catering hall and saw the creative team in there having a meeting and he said he stuck his head in for only 2 seconds and during that time he was still buried by 2 feet of dirt because they were trying to bury him as fast as they could. He added that he has spent most of his career not working for the WWE ever since coming into the business in 1989 and during that time he was taught by the original Sheik to just put himself aside from the other wrestlers and perform on his own level. He said he's always heard wrestlers complain about politics everywhere he's been and he's learned during his time in the business to just worry about himself and not get too worked up over things because you can't change everything. He said there was a time where he was getting frustrated especially around WrestleMania 19. He said it sent him a message that he was important to the company but obviously not as important to them as the Miller Lite Girls were.

Rob said that he's not sure if the WWE will ever give him a chance to show that he can produce money for them. He said that if the younger talent move up into positions of power then he believes it can happen but if things remain as they are then he will probably not get the chance. He feels that the people who criticize him for his mic skills and laid back attitude are not the ones who enjoy what he does and pop for his performances and bring their signs to events because they don't get his character and what he's about. Those who do know what he's about often voice their disgust about not seeing him involved in a bigger part of the show and it's really a matter of which side is in a position of power that will determine whether or not he gets to be a bigger player for the company or not. He finished his comments by saying that it seems like every other wrestler does a promo today where they are screaming about how they're going to destroy somebody (does this part in full character, definetly a must hear) and unless those who disagree with what his value is change their minds or unless they are outruled by those who like what he's all about, then he's not sure if he'll ever get the chance to show he can deliver and be the box office attraction the company wants him to be.

When asked if he'd entertain a move to another company once his contract was up provided someone could come along and become a solid #2 to the WWE, Rob said that it's an imaginary thing because he doesn't see anyone coming along to make a serious run at Vince while he's still performing. He noted that he doesn't plan on working til he's 50 years old where he's still coming to the ring telling the fans how he's the most physically gifted athlete in the business. He said he'd love to see another company come along and be an alternative because it would give more wrestlers opportunities to work plus competition makes everyone perform better.

On the topic of talent having more input in storyline direction Rob feels it would be helpful but it's not an easy jump. He said that a lot of wrestlers have different ideas on how they should be used or how they can get over better but some have hidden agendas. He also said that not all wrestlers have storyline ideas and some are more interested in simply putting on their boots and going out and performing rather then worrying about what stories they can come up with. He finished up by saying that the current creative team does ask for feedback and they do listen to the talent but he's not sure if they have any idea of what he's talking about and he's not sure if they ever use any of the things they're given.

In closing we talked about the Governor's race in his state of California and asked him how he felt Triple H would do if he threw his name into the mix. Rob said he didn't feel he fit in too well with the California lifestyle. When asked who he'd vote for if Hunter did decide to throw his name into the mix Rob said he'd vote for Arnold.

Say it like it is, Rob!!

When asked about his relationship with the writing team he said that a couple of weeks ago he was walking by the catering hall and saw the creative team in there having a meeting and he said he stuck his head in for only 2 seconds and during that time he was still buried by 2 feet of dirt because they were trying to bury him as fast as they could

What the fuck is that? They actively tell him to his face that he's going nowhere in the company?

Sometimes I want people like Rob Van Dam and Benoit to leave the company but its still pretty sweet when Benoit gets standing ovations or when the crowd chants 'RVD' during matches he's not a part of.

When asked about his relationship with the writing team he said that a couple of weeks ago he was walking by the catering hall and saw the creative team in there having a meeting and he said he stuck his head in for only 2 seconds and during that time he was still buried by 2 feet of dirt because they were trying to bury him as fast as they could.

Classic........Well, Robbie better get ready to be involved in an angle that ends with him wearing a dress or taking a Rock bottom into dog shit.

I don't think he wants out as much as he just doesn't care. He seems to be the type where he doesn't mind collecting the paycheck, but if they were to come up to him tomorrow and fire him he wouldn't care.

ye, didn't RVD turn down WWE/WCW a year or two before ECW fell, simply because he LIKED working in ECW? I mean he seems like a guy who loves what he does, but he is not addicted to the spotlight and if he got released, he would just work at the comic shop until the phone rang....

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Yeah, Van Dam seems the type to just not care. He'd obviously prefer to win but when he out pops everyone else on the show and gets the "RVD" chants louder than his own entrance music, I'm sure he's more than content.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

At least the guy is sticking up for himself instead of being a mute buried in the WWE manure.

Guest CronoT
I don't think he wants out as much as he just doesn't care. He seems to be the type where he doesn't mind collecting the paycheck, but if they were to come up to him tomorrow and fire him he wouldn't care.

If you were getting treated like 3-day old dog crap, how would you react?

I say good on Rob for having the balls to tell it like it is. I am a self confessed HUGE RVD MARK, but still, you have to respect the guy for saying what he did.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
If I was a 3 day old piece of dog crap collecting a nice paycheck I might not mind.

He could probably earn more or equal to on the indy circuit, plus he can have some sort of creative satisfaction by doing things his own way.

I could honestly seem him taking a release if they offered him a no condition one right now.

I don't know if he would take the 90 day no compete since he is already in the last few months of the deal.

Guest Coffey

Well, Raven said that he makes more money in the indies than he did in the WWE, but I don't know if I believe him...

Besides, I'm sure that RVD makes more money in the WWE than Raven did, so he probably couldn't make more in the indies.

RVD probably wants the main stream exposure now too. He is getting older, and the days of the ECW bingo hall are behind him. I'm sure he wants a run at the top just to prove that he can do it. He'll probably stick around in hopes of that if nothing else.

I still don't get why you wouldn't believe Raven.

No one in indys makes more per show then him...and it's not like he EVER got ppv payoffs.

Raven was eating the downside guarantee of a low end contract.

RVD makes some money. Raven did not.

Guest Coffey

Well, it's not like Raven is the most reliable source. I mean, years of cocaine and other drugs being abused does decrease your credibility...

Why is Rob doing an interview like this? I am begining to think he wants out.

But I hope Rob's aware that they'd probably bury him and job him out to Mark Jindrak on Heat before he's handed his release.

Whilst I've never been a fan of the guy, making money out of him seemed like something a blind chimp with no soap opera writing experience could do. He'll be over huge in TNA and draw for them, so good luck with that.

He noted that he doesn't plan on working til he's 50 years old where he's still coming to the ring telling the fans how he's the most physically gifted athlete in the business.

Nice dig at Flair.

Guest Choken One

Oh Yeah RVD is a real fucking Desperado...

Let's give him old school

HIP HIP HOORAY!

HIP HIP HOORAY!

HIP HOP HOORAY!

He doesn't see anything in the lockerroom changing anytime soon. He's just learned to deal with it and move on, although he was extremely upset around WrestleMania XIX, where he got the impression that WWE found the Miller Lite Girls more important than he.

Another one of those things in WWE that I'll always be pissed about.

- Rob said that if HHH ended up running for California governor, he'd still vote for Arnold.

:lol:

Guest Chris2K

Sometime soon, Rob has to evaluate whether getting all the internet smarks on his side is worth sacrificing his WWE career for.

Raven probably makes more money in indies than he did in WWE, because he was on a 'provisional' contract due to his drug and alcohol habits. RVD would gain a far better salary and also a lot of merchandise benefits.

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR

This reminds me of the Austin's anti-WCW shoot promos when he was in ECW, when he used to say that " you become what you eat, and in WCW they fed him nothing but garbage".The funny thing is he has become what he used to complaint about when he was being buried in WCW, a non-wrestling politician.RVD is the man for having real brass balls and speak out against WWE, if Vince was smart he should feud against RVD instead of Angle since it will be a shoot/work angle and i see $ signs written all over it.

Guest MissMattitude
RVD is the man for having real brass balls and speak out against WWE, if Vince was smart he should feud against RVD instead of Angle since it will be a shoot/work angle and i see $ signs written all over it.

No, no, no, no, no... Vince shouldn't feud with anyone.

Vince vs ??? does not have $ written all over it.

"Sometime soon, Rob has to evaluate whether getting all the internet smarks on his side is worth sacrificing his WWE career for."

I think his point in all these interviews is that his WWE career has been cut off at the balls anyway.