TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
godthedog

the GRE

so i just started my senior year of college, and to get into the grad schools i want, i gotta take the GRE. so, i'm basically just looking for some advice from those who have already gone through the process: when should i schedule myself to take it--mid-fall? as early as possible? how important are the scores to grad schools (based on personal experience)? do the kaplan courses help at all? are they worth the insane amount of money they charge?

Guest The Old Me

I wouldn't worry about it until mid fall. The Kaplan courses may be over priced, but they help ALOT in the long run.

Actually...I have no idea what you are talking about, but take my advice none the less.

From what I've seen and heard, the scores are very important to mid-range schools, at little less so (but still important) to the big schools. I studied just using some of the guides you can buy in stores (GRE for Dummies, and the Princeton Review book), and I took the test when I was most comfortable taking it (early December). I scored 2250. I found practice tests to be invaluable.

But, to each his own.

My better half took that retarded test. She couldn't get into any Ph.D. programs because her scores were too low -- despite having a wealth of experience in the field she was in. This of course made my better half start to loathe the academic world, much like I do.

Oh, and a number of her mailed rejection letters were address to OTHER PEOPLE!

I heard that if you're taking a computer version that your first several answers will determine how hard/good your questions will be...

I too am going to be a senior in college. I took them already. I didn't use a Kaplan course and I was in the 80th to 90th percentile on all 3 areas. Just buy the Kaplan book and use the CD rom and you should be golden.

They aren't too bad.

And kkk is right. That's the new system. It's called CAT diagnostic. It tailers the question based on your previous question. It is actually better to get a hard question wrong than an easy question correct.

I took the GRE's last month, and they were not that bad. The review books are the best way to study...you really don't learn anything, and what you do study is just to refresh yourself to some concepts. Your best to take a trial test to see which areas you need to review more thoroughly.

I graduated from college in May and my grad school plans have been put on hold. I'm still not sure what I want to do, so I'm starting to think it's best to put it off.

That stupid test is one of the main reasons I'm not in Grad School right now! I scored too low.

I find it funny how I always hear Academia profs whine about how we rely too much on tests to gauge a student's learning ability, but yet they use the GRE's as a basis for their admissions policies...

Not trying to sound nosy, but what was your score?

I can't remember anymore. All I know is when I contacted the school about why I wasn't admitted they said it was because my GRE scores were too low.