TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Freddy's Nightmares: The old TV series...

It aired from '88-'90, so simply put, I never watched it. Hell, I had no idea it ever existed untill about an hour ago. Did any of you guys ever see this? In the time that it was on, there were fourty-four 60 minute episodes aired and Robert Englund was Freddy for the series. It looks/sounds like it more than likely sucked, I have no idea. For the pilot, titled "No More Mr. Nice Guy", they present a prequel for the films, going over the case and all of that. Go to this website to read about it, see a few pictures from the episode, and to view the opening of the show.

Would it even be worth my time to track down either just the pilot or the entire series, if I'm a huge Freddy hand? Or on the other hand, if I watched it, would it only smear the series in my eyes?

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

I just read more about it, and it seems it was a type of Twilight Zone series, and not all of them showcased the Freddy character.

Interesting.

Yeah, it wasn't Freddy all the time. Very similar to the Friday The 13th series around the same time.

Sci-Fi does/did show the F13 series, and at one point did show the Freddy's Nightmares run. Might see them pop up soon with the newfound fan interest, so I'd wait it out a bit.

That show sucked. Freddy was pretty much the host and the stories were kind of Tales from the Crypt'ish. Now, the F13 series was just out of the loop, completely. Why did they name it after the movie? It had NOTHING to do whatsoever with Jason or Camp Crystal Lake.. it was about a frigging antique store dealing in cursed relics! Jesus, I mean, at least the Freddy series had Freddy as a host..

i watched a couple of times when i was little, but this was during the time that Freddy scaed the shit out of me, so i don't remember it much. I remember the few of episodes i watched didn't feature Freddy in them, he just presented them kind of like the creeper in Tales from the Crypt.

Guest Lethargic

It sucked. The only one worth anything to a Freddy fan would be that first one since it actually dealth with Freddy. Normally he was just the host, but even worse is that it wasn't scary Freddy, or even kinda scary Freddy, the Freddy that hosted this show was the total comedy Freddy. The Freddy's Dead era Freddy. The powerglove wearing Freddy.

It sucked. The only one worth anything to a Freddy fan would be that first one since it actually dealth with Freddy. Normally he was just the host, but even worse is that it wasn't scary Freddy, or even kinda scary Freddy, the Freddy that hosted this show was the total comedy Freddy. The Freddy's Dead era Freddy. The powerglove wearing Freddy.

Was he at least a little bit scary in the pilot?

I seem to remember him hosting the show from a diner of some sort, too. I could be wrong about that though.

Guest Lethargic
It sucked.  The only one worth anything to a Freddy fan would be that first one since it actually dealth with Freddy.  Normally he was just the host, but even worse is that it wasn't scary Freddy, or even kinda scary Freddy, the Freddy that hosted this show was the total comedy Freddy.  The Freddy's Dead era Freddy.  The powerglove wearing Freddy.

I seem to remember him hosting the show from a diner of some sort, too. I could be wrong about that though.

Yeah, that's all I remember as well. I don't remember anything about the episodes themselves. All I remember are the Freddy parts where he's hanging out in the diner and introducing the episodes like a clowny Rod Serling.

Personally, as a big Freddy mark, I loved the show. I don't remember a lot of the episodes, but I'd definitely buy them on DVD. I've always enjoyed Twilight Zone-ish shows.

Friday the 13th The Series was named as such because the cursed antiques were "bad luck". But with the movies being popular then, they just took advantage of it hoping to trick people into watching a Jason show.

I also marked out for an old show called Tales From the Darkside, ever heard of it?

Dames

It sucked.  The only one worth anything to a Freddy fan would be that first one since it actually dealth with Freddy.  Normally he was just the host, but even worse is that it wasn't scary Freddy, or even kinda scary Freddy, the Freddy that hosted this show was the total comedy Freddy.  The Freddy's Dead era Freddy.  The powerglove wearing Freddy.

You are thinking of Nightmare Cafe which only lasted a little bit. I thought it was good, but by the time this show came out the Horror trend was on the downswing, it was the period after Slasher films were dying and before the Scream era started........The show would beging with Robert England(not as the Freddy character) working in the diner at the middle of the night as he would introduce the story. Kind of like a twilight zone.

As far as Freddy's Nightmares, I remember it as good as I can for being 8-9 during it's tenure. The only complete episode I remember was the babysitter episode where the babysitter kept getting called, "rolely polely, fat & ugly" hahaha.....Freddy played the host. I wish they would rebroadcast the series just for the nostalgia. I have seen certain episodes on VHS at Suncoast video.

I used to watch the Saturday Night horror lineup which was.......Tales from the Darkside, Monsters, FT13th, and then Freddy's Nightmares......What a lineup for a 9 year old horror fan.

Nightmare cafe aired years after those shows were history.

Guest Lethargic

Tales from the Darkside is the coolest shit ever. I got a lot of them and that theme music still scares the piss out of me. Something about 80's synths and that cheap ass video effect of turning the trees dark during the opening freaks me out.

I also marked out for an old show called Tales From the Darkside, ever heard of it?

Hell yeah. But, remember the creepy opening theme song and the deep, scary voiced announcer? That scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Friday the 13th the series got its name as they explained in the pilot, Jason's hockey mask and knife came from the store and were cursed relics that turned him into the monster he became. I actually really liked the show and remember a lot of the episodes.

Nightmare Cafe really wasn't exactly as NoCalMike said, but he was on the right track. Englund played a mysterious restaurant owner named Blacky who took in two dead souls as his cook and waitress. The restaurant would then travel to a new city every week and they would help others with their problems through the powers of the restaurant. The t.v. could show the future and the doors could open anywhere on the past. Once the two souls helped enough people, they would be allow to enter the after life. It was kind of like a dark Highway to Heaven.

I remember seeing ads for the Freddy series, but don't think I watched it.

Guest Big_Jay101

Freddy was featured in some of the episodes and had some very bloody deaths from what i hear like scrapping a girls eyes out and such. He was in some not all. I read about them. i was young so i didnt really no about it then and i had reg. TV

Guest wrestlingbs

Another show in the Tales from the Darkside vein, Monsters! was pretty weird. I remember it because of the cyclops family opening.

Guest Crucifixio Jones
I used to watch the Saturday Night horror lineup which was.......Tales from the Darkside, Monsters, FT13th, and then Freddy's Nightmares......What a lineup for a 9 year old horror fan.

Goddamn, NoCalMike stole the words right outta my mouth. I used to watch all of those and Ray Bradbury Theater. That line up RAWKED and I'm not even a huge horror guy. Wasn't there also a show on HBO around this time called "The Hitchhiker" that had a similar "Tales from the Crypt"/"Twilight Zone" format? I watched ALL that shit growing up.

Guest El Satanico

I was a huge Freddy mark as a kid so of course I watched this.

I also remember all of the horror shows from the 80's

:sheds a tear:

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Yeah, that's all I remember as well. I don't remember anything about the episodes themselves. All I remember are the Freddy parts where he's hanging out in the diner and introducing the episodes like a clowny Rod Serling.

You just said it sucked, but you don't remember anything but Freddy hosted from a diner?

And how can a horror anthology series suck? Those things ALWAYS have at least one or two good ones. Especially if the show ran for two years.

Friday the 13th the series got its name as they explained in the pilot, Jason's hockey mask and knife came from the store and were cursed relics that turned him into the monster he became. I actually really liked the show and remember a lot of the episodes.

Are you serious? I don't remember that, but that's so off base because a] Jason was a monster with a pillow case over his head in the second movie, and b] he stole the hockey mask from the fat kid in part three. The knife thing is ludacris as well.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I used to watch it every week.....I was such a freddy mark when I was 8 or 9 years old.

Guest Lethargic
You just said it sucked, but you don't remember anything but Freddy hosted from a diner?

Why does everything have to be so laid out in complete detal for you? Are you really that dense?

I remember watching the show, I remember not liking it. I couldn't begin to tell you any of the plots of the episodes because it has been YEARS since I've seen it. But yes I can remember how Freddy was played in the intros and it was more goofy Freddy than scary Freddy.

It's just like anything else. You could ask me about Knight Rider. But I'm not gonna remember what friggin shows were which. I remember there was a talking car and it was cool and there was that one episode with a semi-truck that ended with Kitt on it's roof. That's it. I didn't commit the entire thing to memory.

The one MONSTERS episode I remember the most was with a newlywed couple staying at a hotel and instead of a bed, they just had all this silk kind of like a hammock thing. So the in the end it turns out the Silk was a giant Spiderweb and they ended up getting eaten by a Giant Spider....

Tales From the Darkside was a great show. I remember a young Christian Slaiter being in one of the episoders where his dead grampa came back to life.

All those shows rocked. And yes, the Tales from the Darkside music was freaky.

I just downloaded the tv theme music off of kazaa. It is freaky, but the narrator guy isn't in the theme, so it takes a bit away from the scariness.

Guest Lethargic

There were a lot of cool stars that popped up in those episodes. Even the movie had a few like Julianne Moore and Steve Buscemi before they were names.

I just downloaded the Tales from the Crypt theme but it is without the actual crypt keeper laughing and saying, "Taaaaaales from the crypt" at the end.....dammit where are the words.

Was it this series or the Friday the 13th series that had the one episode about the chick that killed people with pool cues? That was a so-bad-it's-good episode.