TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Getting into the business

I'm 21, and thinking about joining the military.........but the wrestling bug has started to eat at me again. I am thinking about going around and checking out schools. Have any of you guys ever considered becoming a wrestlers, or been to any of the schools, etc.

Guest BAR

Yeah, I've thought about it seriously. I did start doing weights and trying to build myself up a bit. As I had a plan to become a wrestler and the first step was to get a half-decent body. But, the child is grown, the dream is gone.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I've actually wrestled before, but realized that I would rather be a fan than be in the business. Too much bullshit, to many phony people, and too much backstabbing........If I would have stayed in the business, I would hate it now.

I am considering it, as once I get out of college I will have an athletic background, which many promoters seem to like. I have a good body and I think a pretty decent look for the business. I am only about 6 feet and I weigh about 190 without any fat on me so I will need to lift more after I get done playing baseball, I can't really do it now or it would fuck up my swing. Plus I live in cincy so I could go to Les Thatchers promotion, its only 15 minutes from my house. I have always been a good natural athlete and above all I really love the business.

Guest The Old Me

I'd like to be a manager or something along those lines, but I couldn't stand the time away from my daughter and probably wouldn't deal well with all the political BS anyway.

Guest Coffey
I am considering it, as once I get out of college I will have an athletic background, which many promoters seem to like. I have a good body and I think a pretty decent look for the business. I am only about 6 feet and I weigh about 190 without any fat on me so I will need to lift more after I get done playing baseball, I can't really do it now or it would fuck up my swing. Plus I live in cincy so I could go to Les Thatchers promotion, its only 15 minutes from my house. I have always been a good natural athlete and above all I really love the business.

Give it up.

I am considering it, as once I get out of college I will have an athletic background, which many promoters seem to like.  I have a good body and I think a pretty decent look for the business.  I am only about 6 feet and I weigh about 190 without any fat on me so I will need to lift more after I get done playing baseball, I can't really do it now or it would fuck up my swing.  Plus I live in cincy so I could go to Les Thatchers promotion, its only 15 minutes from my house.  I have always been a good natural athlete and above all I really love the business.

Give it up.

If you actually want to be WWE Champion or some shit, then your size is gonna screw ya up.

If, however, you want to do it for the sake of doing it, go for it. Hell, I've had an offer to train already (he runs a fed and uses students from his school), and I'm smaller than you are. I'll stick to refereeing or managing though since I have no interest in getting permanently injured missing a moonsault or something.

I am definitely a full fledged college student, so there is no way I'd have time to get into school and training. Years down the road if I continue my training regimine, I may have the size. The charisma is all there, but I am also only 6'0", which really hurts.

I'm an English major and do lots of writing, and have been watching wrestling for over 9 years now. I'm going for my PhD and aspire to be a university professor, but I will definitely try and get on a writing job with the WWE in the future. Who knows , with my extensive smartmarks board training, I may be the messiah you are all waiting on!

Yeah...I wouldn't want to be a wrestler, what with politics and stuff. Being a colour commentator...that'd be a dream. God knows how you break in as an announcer, but once I leave school then I'm gonna try and find a way.

Guest bort

its on my mid, only 16...captain of my schools amatur wrestling team...i think a backround in that kinda wrestling would help you out in the future because it teaches you how to take bumbs and what kind of energy it takes to wrestle....6 min on the mat takes alot out of you, it also helps you develop eatting habits....im like 5'9 right now and only 145 pounds but am still growing. the thing about ametur wrestling is you are trying to lose weight intstead of gaining it which is one of the things thats keepin me from gaining alot of weight

I am only about 6 feet and I weigh about 190 without any fat on me

Forget what others have said......Austin is what, 6"2? Hogan is really only 6"4 legit, and how tall is Angle? If you love the business, then get into it regardless. You may regret not doing it on day when you are stuck behind a desk, or on a construction site, etc. You only live once...........

I'm planning on trying to get in the business after I get my education. Honestly, there is nothing else I'd rather do.

Well, good luck. I may be in the same boat as you, as there is nothing else I would rather be. I could work shitty indies and live the wrestling life forever.......sounds like Heaven to me.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

I've seriously considered becoming a commentator. Maybe a manager, except at 6'5 220 i'd be as big or bigger than the average client. Besides, commentators don't get as fucked around with as active talent. Any chance to belittle people on a major forum is a dream.

Guest Fook

I'm too small to be an actual wrestler (5'10, 165 lbs), so that dream is long dead.

I suppose I could be an announcer or manager.

Guest The Masked Avenger

I wrestle for the only Norwegian promotion, (Norway not having a huge demand for wrestling) NWF. This is, however, something I do as a hobby, and I doubt that I would want to do it full time, in which case I'd have to move abroad. It has, however, been great fun, and I'm preparing as we speak for a show the 24th. James Mason of english fame will appear, as well as Lance Storm's former pupil, Starbuck. 30/8, I'll be wrestling in Finland (Valhalla Pro Wrestling) on the same card as A.J. Styles, Kid Kash, Mike Sanders, Shane Douglas, Credible and Sabu, which frankly is a bit intimidating.

On a side note, I am around 170 cm/ 70 kg.

Well at the start of next year I will be going to the wrestling school on the mainland of Australia to check it out. Im about 6'3, 230lbs, and wrestling is basically all I think about. I'm always coming up with spots in my head, ideas for moves, etc. I really want to do this. I am fairly strong, but not as strong as I would want to be. I am only 16 at the moment, so I probably can't do a full training schedule until I am 18. I've written promos, come up with costumes, worked out attire, character and background.

I really want to do this, there was one defining moment when I decided. Of course I will go to college and get a degree, I'm actually a smart individual, and I am going for a degree in Business Management in 2 years, where I'll do my normal 3 year diploma, plus honors and masters.

Ever since I saw the opening exchange between RVD and Jerry Lynn at Hardcore Heaven 2000, I have wanted to do this. I have the drive to do this, I actually enjoy doing this.

So yes, I will be trying my hardest to get into the business.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

If I was in better shape then I am now, I'd probably consider it. I often practice with a bunch of friends to wrestle (no I don't mean backyard hardcore shit, REAL Wrestlng) and I'm half-decent (still working on not stiffing people). But because of my being like 30-40 pounds over-weight I blow up in 8-10 minutes.

I'm also too short, only about 6'1-6'2" unless I want to wrestle Indys for life making $20 a night. LOL (trying to be funny, yet failing miserably)

When I'm in my "wrestling zone" I am a awesome heel (Arrogant heeling being one of my strong points), but I am just a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!! babyface. I also need to work on my promo cutting, as I'm mediocre at best.

Funny Story: The first time I attempted doing a suicide dive (few weeks ago) I choked in mid air and landed right on my wrist. Thank god I didn't break it. I never broke or sprained a bone/muscle in my life (18 years).

Unless you count popping muscles, cause I've done that plenty of times when I curl 350-400 pounds with my legs. MY legs are much stronger than my arms as I can only press 230-240 pounds over my head.

Edited by Raven1919

Guest Super Leather

I'm too skinny to be an actual wrestler, even though Zack Gowen seems to be doing well for himself...sorta. Maybe if I had an athletic background and lifted weights, it'd be possible. I'm 6'3" or 6'4", so as a manager I also would be taller than the average talent.

I suppose I could conceivably manage people like Test or the Big Show. Oh, the fun. :bonk:

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

I start training at NWA-UK Hammerlock next year, hopefully. A lot of stuff has to work out for that to happen.

I've got a pretty good amateur background (3 1/2 years) and a very small amount of MMA training (which I'm expanding on this year.) So with lots of weight work (for muscle and to keep my back healthy) and good grades to go abroad to the UK I'll be in good shape.

I've worked in non-wrestling capacities for some indy promotions: camera guy, play-by-play announcer. It was fun, but I never got paid to due some financial mismanagement, and my partner (who was an active wrestler) quit because of the "political bullshit."

Edited by ShooterJay

Guest ToddRoyal

As Canadian Chick and JAxlMorrison have said already...there's nothing else I can see myself doing. I've always kind of assumed I'd grow out of the "wrestling dream" and stumble on what I want to do with my future, but that hasn't happened yet, and I'm thinking it never will.

I'm going to go through college for a Journalism degree first, and hopefully with that if -god forbid- I get seriously injured or just don't make it wrestling I have a background that would lend me to being a creative team writer, commentator or magazine writer. I'll be there someday, hopefully I'll see CC, JAxl and the rest of you there.

Along with a career in music, a wrestling career has been one of my lifelong dreams. Luckily, I have a shot at both. I was training with New Midwest Wrestling in Springfield, Illinois, for a very brief time, but I had to bow out due to financial reasons. At the time, I was around 168 pounds of mostly fat (I'm 5'8", by the way). In a matter of a few months earlier this year, I dropped down to 132, and now I sit somewhere between 138-142. I definitely need to add muscle badly, but I have been unable to work out regularly since I always seem to be out of the house and also because of my fucked up back giving me problems.

Despite that, I hope to start training full time soon. Once I get my schedule for my college classes, I'll be searching for a job to fill up the time that I'm not in school. Once I'm working, I will be able to easily afford the $50 per month NMW charges for training. Don't let the low price fool you- these guys know their shit. I have seen quite a few indy videos, and I can say without any bias that these guys put on some great shows, and rank in the top 5 indy feds in the US as far as match quality. It's also cool because since I trained for a while and have ben to nearly every single show, I am friends (or in some cases, at least acquainted) with everyone on the roster. Because of that, they often gesture towards me and sometimes even mention me by name during shows and/or on the site. All the guys are total class acts and it makes for a very enjoyable environment. On top of all that, I honestly believe I may just have a chance with a certain voluptuous 20 year old valet, Tori- A.K.A. Cherry Malone.

I encourage you all to check out the site.

6'3" 280 right now, but I'm hardly muscular. At said time when I am, I'll be at about 250-260, which is Triple H/Steve Austin levels. Hell, at that point, I'd only be about 30 pounds less than Brocky. I'm an hour away from Pro Wrestling Iron PWI in Fairfield, which is run by two of the best in the business, Mike Modest and Donovan Morgan. Once I'm done with community college and I get some money saved up, I'm gonna go partake in the training they have going on, which is one of the toughest training regimens one would go through. It's always been somethign I've wanted to do. Whether that becomes a reality or not, however, is the mystery...