TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

Invasion vs Goldberg

Me and a mate were laughing at a mutual friend being a huge Goldberg mark, and my mate declared that Goldberg in the WWE has been booked worse than the Invasion angle.

So then guys, which was worse?

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

I think it was the Invasion - I think they could of rescued it at several points to make the money everyone thought they could, but they ended up messing up everything (which seemed harder to do than do it successfully).

With Goldberg, the moment that they had him in a long match with Rock, it seemed messed up (at least to me it did).

However, an interesting note during the Invasion story is that a lot of TV Execs (not WWE brass) were unhappy with WCW wrestlers (as they were being portrayed) being pushed / having a high profile on WWE TV, as that would 'put over' the Turner networks, which they are obviously in competition with. Silly story, but very true and had an impact on things.

Holy shit!

Less than 10 seconds after I post it - two replies!

Anyway, I meant to add that In think Invasion was booked worse, but thought it would be interesting to see what people smarter than I think.

but thought it would be interesting to see what people smarter than I think.

And why are you posting it here then?

Anyway, Invasion was on of the biggest opportunities in wrestling history. The biggest thing they could have gotten out of Goldberg would have been a temporary ratings boost and 2 or 3 big PPV main events.

So yeah, Invasion is worse. Much worse.

The InVasion. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Goldberg can be treated bad by one writer, and then they can come up with a compelling storyline for him, and make up that loss, but the InVasion, once they screwed up there was no fixing it.

I'll actually say Goldberg on this one. Mainly because it is very very easy for GB to get over. You let him destroy people in about 2 mins flat. If you're not willing to do that, don't sign him.

The Invasion seems like it would be easy to do, but given the lousy crop of WCW stars they got in the deal (not to mention how bad WCW was perceived at the time) it was nearly impossible to have it work.

People tend to forget that there was a lot of tremendous wrestling during the Invasion. The storyline itself as far as WCW's involvement just didn't work. By 2001 it couldn't work.

With Goldberg, they have literally bent over backwards to fuck up. Changing his music, making him look inept and ineffectual, putting him in feuds where the crowd naturally would cheer the homegrown WWF guy (Rock), having him sell for guys like Christian.

When considering the Invasion angle, ask yourself this: would the angle have been any better had Hogan, Hall, Nash, Steiner, etc. been signed during it? Bischoff as the leader. I mean, it would all just be a tedious revival of the NWO, and they would take over for a while before Vince rallies the troops.

The Invasion of one promotion by another is a storyline that can't work if they are owned by the same people.

The Invasion. Here was the biggest storyline in the history of the pro-wrestling that was blown largely because the WWF guys were always booked to win and other numerous gaffs along the way (ex. Buff Bagwell).

Goldberg, like the NWO, never was going to work simply because its Goldberg. For one, he is hated in both Canada and the Northeast. These are two of the WWF's biggest markets (the third is Texas, where Goldberg has no problem) so he is working at a disadvantage to begin with. He is both injury-prone, reckless, refuses to job, and won't work more than a set number of dates including no house shows. He is the second coming of the Ultimate Warrior, even if he did get over there is simply no way that this would be able to work due to the baggage that he brings.

I stick with my original statement that InVAsion was the worst booked angle ever

In that case, Derby Franchise, I'd better say Goldberg. I mean, agreeing with a Sheep!? ;)

Blah, you're a secret goldberg mark.

all forest fans are.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Both Forest and Derby fans are Goldberg marks.

You wouldn't find a Southampton Goldberg mark...

Goldberg.

The Invasion at least made some good money (Invasion had the best non-WM non-RR buyrate ever IIRC, SummerSlam did a good number, and I'm pretty sure Survivor Series did as well), and produced some great wrestling (Austin vs. Angle mainly, plus some other good stuff like RVD vs. Jericho). Goldberg has provided neither (not that he was expected to provide the second one mind you).

Meh, InVasion was better than the current product is, which Goldberg is a part of, so I'll say Goldberg. In fact, I'm the only InVasion angle mark I know.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

The picture says it all. I mean, did they make Booker T do Janitorial work?

Considering Invasion should have been the biggest angle of all-time(at least in North American wrestling history) I'd say it is easiest the worst BOOKED angle ever.

Guest Trivia247

well Invasion definately screwed up more...

not to defend the Crapberg Mark..

but you had a intial idea which was actually pretty good....then suddenly the idea got screwed up along the way.....and when they tried salvaging the angle making a ECW Faction...they fucked it up further by absorbing it into a Alliance stable with the WCW being the more dominent aspect.

since ECW couldn't be totally mentioned without lawsuits

a crappy angle that lasted a couple of Slow agonizing months

but also left us with too many wrestlers doing too few matches and double sets of titles that were at first dismissed then reestablished. in the roster split.

Definitely the Invasion. It just went on forever. Remember how well the Rock/Jericho feud got over when they started it? It's because people were thrilled that there was actually an angle that didn't have to do with the Alliance vs. the WWE. Of course they killed the heat on that feud three weeks after No Mercy by having Rock and Jericho do the same backstage skit every week, but that's another story.

Oh, and the problem with the angle wasn't that the WWF guys wouldn't job, it was that there weren't any stars in WCW that people wanted to see. The only real "star" coming out of WCW was Booker, and it took the fans about five minutes to see that he sucked.

Guest godofdeadlydeath

The cover of the INVASION PPV was Vince McMahon's face and Shane McMahon's face mixed together. THAT right there shows that the Invasion was a failure. No WCW men even on the ad poster for the PPV. What a great idea.