TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Retro Rob

Virus e-mails

Guest Retro Rob

Lately I have been getting bombarded by these new virus e-mails that are going around. I'm pretty sure that they are also being sent from my e-mail address. Is this just going to be a phase that will diminish over the next several days, or will this be around for a while.

Guest El Satanico

You sure you didn't open one of them and got infected?

My computer did that a year ago because I got it infected without knowing.

Guest OnlyMe

Not only does the virus send itself TO people on the infected computer's addressbook, but it fakes the "from" address to a random name on there.

Guest Retro Rob

Stuff like "Deatils" or "My Details". It is apparent when you have one because the titles are very vague and repetitive.

Guest Razor Roman
Not only does the virus send itself TO people on the infected computer's addressbook, but it fakes the "from" address to a random name on there.

Right, which is why you may get emails back from other people (some that you might not even know) saying that you sent them an email that contained a virus. The college I work for has RAV Antivirus on its email server, and since college professors are TERRIBLE about viruses I get a few emails a week saying "You tried to send the following message... it was deleted because it contained a virus"

Guest stardust

I had close to 50 of those random emails in my yahoo mailbox today, all of them titled "re: your application" or something like that. I just deleted all of them, but I'm wondering how they got in.

Guest Mad the Swine

My local ISP has a spam blocker and a virus blocker that lets you know that it's detected a potential virus. You can view the email, but the with the attachment mentioned but unaccessable.

It's had a field day the last two days. I'm getting the subject lines: 'your details', 'wicked screensaver', 'thank you', and 'that movie'.

But the funniest thing so far is the one of the return email addresses was a familiar one: it was the exact same as the one for Goldberg's website when he was in WCW.

Guest stardust

Yeah, I got like two from Netflix titled "re: the movie you requested." And I've never even been to the Netflix site.

I always wondered what would happen if I opened one that I got in my yahoo mail address (which, is actually my only email address). Im under the impression that to get an email virus you have to use something like Outlook/Outlook express or something like that. I don't (and you can't with yahoo unless you pay for the service)..

My norton antivirus will pop up and say it can't eliminate the virus, mine is something like msrexe.exe or something. I don't get them on hotmail, they seem to come through MSN Messenger on my computer, which is shit i don't even use. Downloaded a firewall though it's probably too late to stop this one. any one know how to stop this bastard.

Marvin, the Sobig worm has its own SMTP client so that it can mail itself out independent of your email program. It also scans your files for email addresses instead of just using an address book. Outlook and OE are vulerable (as usual), but this worm isn't unique to them. The fixes are readily available and pcmag.com has some news on how it works and spreads.

I really wish the people writing these worms (this one, Backdoor.Roxy, and the others which have shown up in the past couple weeks) would take a break. I miss the days of being able to do next to nothing at work.

Guest Retro Rob

Well that scanner did not find the Sobig worm on my computer, but I keep getting a shitload of e-mails. I'll just wait it out.

I keep getting "mailer-daemon" emails. It looks like email that I tried to send out and it's returned to me, only, I've never sent emails to any of the people it says I have.

Is this the same virus?