TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
A Guy Who Injects Heroin Into Kids' Eyes

Your First Live Event

Guest abowen33

My first live event was a WCW House Show with a pretty sweet main event - Ric Flair vs Bret Hart © for the World Title. It was a pretty good match, and of course I was going crazy, I love both guys. After that was a Thunder where I had great seats - the back corner of the entrance ramp, right by where the wrestlers walk out. All my signs got on TV, and my FAVORITE WRESTLER OF ALL TIME WRATH gave me some major love after the Kronik match. Up to that point my love of Bryan Clarke had been kind of a joke because all of my friends hated him, but after he came up and shook my hand and said seeing signs like my 'Feel the Wrath of Kronik' sign (cheese ass, I know, stfu!) was the reason he loved wrestling so much, that made me a fan for life :) Then I got Vampiro blood on my Vampiro sign :) :cheers:

My first event was Summerslam 97, and it was definitely worth it. My seats were right above the entrance set... maybe a little to the left. My friends sign (an all black sign with "WWF Rules" written in white) is most visible when Owen Hart makes his entrance. When all the commentators were leaving, Vince saw the sign, pointed at it and nodded. Even before the show, they had a huge parking lot party... HBK, Steve Austin, LOD, Sunny and more all made appearances.

July 1989:

I was 6 at the time and already a HUGE fan. My parents took me to the Richfield Coliseum to see Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage ina WrestleMania V rematch. Also featured was a WWF Tag Team Title Match between Demolition and the Twin Towers. I think Hillbilly Jim squashed Bob Bradley, other than that, I can't remember much from it. I did buy a Demolition poster that I regretfully threw out in 1993-1994ish when I was off wrestling since I had no cable and no wrestling aired in my area. DAMMIT!

Guest Askewniverse

May 1996 house show, the day before the MSG incident.

I remember being excited when I heard that the main event was changed to Shawn Michaels vs. The British Bulldog in a Steel Cage Match, since this was eight days before they were scheduled to face each other at IYH: Beware of Dog.

The most surprising moment of the night was when Steve Austin pinned Jake Roberts with a shoulderblock. Austin had the match continue so that he could kick Jake’s ass some more. Normally, that wouldn’t end well for a heel, but Austin ended up pinning Jake again, this time with a clothesline.

My first live televised event will be next month at Unforgiven. I’m already starting to regret buying tickets.

My first live event was in 1994...a few weeks before Survivor Series that year. It was a house show...matches included a Taker/Yoko casket match, Tatanka vs. Luger, I think Volkoff was in a match...Diesel squashing one of the headshrinkers (I think it was Fatu), and Bret Hart vs. Jim Neidhart for the WWF Title.

The next one I went to was the Smackdown shown on July 11, 2002, with Rock's return, Hogan/Edge vs. Billy & Chuck rematch, and a Taker/Cena (pre thuganomics) vs. Angle/Jericho.

Guest Eagan469

My first was a house show in November 1993.

Main event was Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels in a cage.

That show is what got me hooked on wrestling for good.

Mine was a house show in May 92 at the Spectrum headlined by Ultimate Warrior and Papa Shango. They also had HBK and Bret on the undercard...and I will swear to the day I die that I saw Michaels break that damn Sharpshooter!

First event was a Raw show (the "Stone Cold can take his ball and go home" burial special) that was worth it IMO. Main event was Booker/Brock and Booker was WAAAAAAAAAAAY over. Plus, Rocky suprise appearance seemed less predictable in person.

WMXIX on the other hand, wasn't worth what we spent, but we spent way more than necessary in the end.

Guest The Old Me

My first live event was back in June of 1990. The ME was Macho "King" and Sherrie vs Dusty and Liz.

I really can't seem to remember much else, as I've been to 20-25 since then, but I really liked it.

March '93 at the Boston Garden. Tatanka VS. Doink, Shango VS. Owen Hart (I think), Main of Bret/Perfect VS. Ramon/Luger. I got one of those foam WWF title belts which I still have to this day. Natch.

My first ever event was Wrestlemania X8, which i travelled all the way from England for. Was worth it no doubt about it, the crowd was electric that night.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

I was wondering, since I've never been to a live event before. There is a house show coming to my town soon, and i was wondering if house shows are any good and are worth the price.

P.S. This is a RAW house show.

I was wondering, since I've never been to a live event before. There is a house show coming to my town soon, and i was wondering if house shows are any good and are worth the price.

P.S. This is a RAW house show.

I would recommend you go - just for the experience. There's no guarentee any particular show will be good or bad, no matter what is put on paper, but I've never seen what I would describe as a "bad" house show.

I tend to prefer house shows over TV anyway.

The next one I went to was the Smackdown shown on July 11, 2002, with Rock's return, Hogan/Edge vs. Billy & Chuck rematch, and a Taker/Cena (pre thuganomics) vs. Angle/Jericho.

Awesome, I went to the same event! My seats were right on the aisle. When Hogan came out, my brother had a "Hulk Still Rules" sign, so Hogan held it up. UNFORTUNATELY... it was cut out on TV by a recap of the previous week.

Guest Adrian 3:16

My first (and so far, only) event was a house show- on January 6, 2002.

Yes, I saw HHH's first match back one day before his infamous return at MSG on the 7th. He tagged with Kane against Angle and Jericho, who were made to piss themselves with fear at his surprise arrival.

I will admit it was fun at the time to see him smack Angle and Jericho around after being gone so long, and if you thought the pop the next night on TV was loud, you should've been there in person when no one knew he was coming. But we all know how this return ended up. It was still pretty cool to be present at one of those "nexus points" of wrestling looking back.

We also saw Brock for the first time that night, he destroyed Perry Saturn. And DDP, shortly before he made his own short-lived return to televison. (he was still an exiled Alliance member at that point)

Dude, how could you have liked WM X8? If it wasn't for Hogan/Rock and the fact that I was in the nosebleed seats, I would have rushed the ring in protest to such a bland show. 17 and 19 were so much better...

First house show, Halifax late 1989 or early 1990, I have a horrible memory and I remember it being cold. There ya go.

Guest undisputedjericho

December 2000 at the Garden, SmackDown! before the Armageddon PPV. Angle vs. the faces of the HIAC match in a four corners, and HHH and Rikishi did a run in at the end. Also the show where Vince told Linda he wanted a divorce, and Ashton Kutcher was backstage doing comedy bits with Edge and Christian. Forgettable pre-PPV show, but I had fun. Met Mick Foley afterward.

Then I went to a March 2001 'Road To WrestleMania' house show at the Garden, in a swank luxory box. This was the weekend that they bought WCW, that Monday was the simulcast, and the next Sunday was X7. Main event was Austin, Taker & Kane vs. HHH, Angle, & Big Show. Every title was defended sans the big one, because Rock wasn't there.

June 2001 was the big one, King of the Ring. Crowd was dead as a doornail, which killed some of the fun, but it was pretty cool to be at a PPV. Shane/Kurt was nuts, and the crowd really only popped big time when Booker T showed up.

Finally, in November 2001, days after my 16th birthday, and days after the Yankees lost the World Series, I attended my most recent show, which happened to be the one I had the most fun at. The Meadowlands crowd this time was actually hot for this SmackDown, the day after Rock regained the WCW title, and he defended it against Booker. Main was Taker over Austin and Angle in a handicapped match. Both Brock Lesnar and Rico (sans chops) were in dark matches. Huge card too. About 4 dark matches, 4 or 5 Heat matches, and maybe 8 SmackDown matches. Biggest heat was easily Christian coming out in a DiamondBacks jersey. Bastard. (While we were waiting for his entrance after seeing him in it on the screen, the entire arena started a "Let's Go Yankees" chant :headbang: )

Edited by undisputedjericho

Thanks to cawthon's site for the quick reference.

My 1st live event -

WWF @ Honolulu, HI - December 14, 1991

Texas Tornado defeated the Great Kabuki

Jimmy Snuka defeated Rick Martel

Genichiro Tenryu defeated Haku

Roddy Piper defeated Ted Dibiase via disqualification when Sensational Sherri interfered

The Nasty Boys defeated the Rockers

The British Bulldog defeated the Bezerker

WWF Tag Team Champions the Legion of Doom defeated the Natural Disasters

Hulk Hogan defeated Ric Flair via count-out

Hogan/Flair for the 22nd time...EVER.

WWE (Raw) @ Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Center - January 2, 2003

The Hurricane pinned Rico with the Shinning Wizard

Lance Storm defeated Tommy Dreamer via submission with the Sharpshooter

Christopher Nowinski, D-Lo Brown, & Steven Richards defeated Bubba Ray, D-Von, & Spike Dudley following a chair shot on Spike

Scott Steiner defeated Raven with the Steiner Recliner

WWE Raw Tag Team Champions Booker T & Goldust defeated Chris Jericho & Christian when Goldust pinned Christian with a powerslam

WWE Women's Champion Victoria pinned Trish Stratus after Molly Holly and Chief Morley interfered

WWE Raw World Champion Triple H & Batista defeated Kane & Rob Van Dam when Triple H pinned RVD after a powerbomb from Batista; earlier in the bout, Kane walked out of the match after a miscommunication with his partner; after the bout, Scott Steiner made the save and a tag team bout for the next night was signed which would involve Ric Flair, Chief Morley, and Shawn Michaels on the outside

...and here is my recap of it, as posted on this board.

Guest JRE

My first house show I barely recall, I had to be 5 or 6. I remember our seats were on the "aisle" (just the place where the Jazz come out at the Delta Center) and I touched Ric Flair's head....so, I guess a WCW show. I think I met the Nasty Boys at it too at an autograph signing. All of this is unclear, don't take my word for it.

My first televised show was the live Smackdown right before Summerslam 2001. It was the debut of the current Smackdown set, and the Beautiful People stuff...so that was pretty exciting. It also featured the Stone Cold Invitational (where he made Scotty 2 Hotty cry), Jeff Hardy doing a Swanton off a 20 foot ladder (amazing, the table shatter was awesome), Booker/Rock in a "Lights Out" match (glorified brawl)....and more! 'Twas pretty cool in person.

My first PPV event was just last March when I went to Seattle for Wrestlemania XIX. it was incredible. Among the best nights of my life. Amazing. Very cool.

I've had a blast at all WWE events...never been dissapointed....even at Raw house shows.

First live event was Wrestlemania 9 (Yeah, I know it sucked, but I still enjoyed it since they hardly come to Las Vegas as it is), I was only 10 at the time. I was sitting front row on the upper level with my dad. Tickets for that were $50 each. You can even see me as they show Yokozuna up close after he won the WWF Championship from Bret.

Nothing really special happened when they cut away to do skits or interviews from what you see on the videotape.

Bam Bam Bigelow Vs. Kamala was supposed to be part of the card, but it was scrapped for whatever reason. Tito Santana defeated Papa Shango in a dark match.

I would recommend you go - just for the experience. There's no guarentee any particular show will be good or bad, no matter what is put on paper, but I've never seen what I would describe as a "bad" house show.

I tend to prefer house shows over TV anyway.

I also think you should go. The experience is great since you have that interaction with other fans plus what you see winds up to be 10x better than what you see on TV. The house show I went was WAYYYYY better (even without having the pyro, Titantro, etc.) than the day after with the live broadcast (the episode where the Rock made his special apperance on the Highlight Reel).

Edited by Rico_Constantino

Depending on how long ago the event was, Rajah has a good collection, but they stopped in September of 2001.

For more recent results, I suggest to you the Wrestling Observer or Lordsofpain.net

March 18, 1986. House show in Warren, OH. I remember King Tonga wrestling twice and Mr. Fuji standing backstage during the intermission and not much else, but I think I have the old program lying around here somewhere.

And yes, it was worth it. Live wrestling for a 7 year old? During the mid-80s boom? Hell yeah!

Depending on how long ago the event was, Rajah has a good collection, but they stopped in September of 2001.

For more recent results, I suggest to you the Wrestling Observer or Lordsofpain.net

Go to cawthon's website- it has EVERYTHING.

It's in his sig btw

Go to cawthon's website- it has EVERYTHING.

It's in his sig btw

I will also vouch for Graham(cawthon)'s website.

Before visiting his website, I would have never known that I missed a live event nine years ago that headlined with Bret v. Owen ....... for the WWF title ....... in a steel cage.

D'oh.

WCW House Show in 95, pretty much covers quality.

Alex Wright-Eaton

Duggan-Regal

Sting-Avalanche

Nastys-Heat

A couple other matches that happened at least 1,000 times in 1995.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

I doubt too many people ever saw any of the guys I saw at my first live event.

Here are the ones I remember, Bob Armstrong, The Flame, Robert Fuller, The Nightmares, and Gordan Solie was there. That was about 20 years ago.

EDIT:and Tommy "Wildfire" Rich was there also! :lol:

Guest Super Leather

I've only been to two live events ever, but give a broke guy a break...

I was also at Wrestlemania 9 and turned fifteen a couple days before. I was stoked when I saw Jim Ross. As well, I was really close to the front. I have somewhat blurry photos of the Steiners running to the ring and a pretty good one I took of Shawn Michaels after his match with Tatanka. He's walking back down the aisle holding the IC belt over his shoulder and I leaned out as far as I could to get a good shot and almost fell of the guardrail. I saw myself on the video too (only a brief pan of the crowd), and was a couple rows back from the chicken fight guys that were talking trash to Giant Gonzales.

As well, I hated Hulk Hogan by that time and was able to spit at him after he pinned Yokozuna. I don't recall if I actually hit him, though. That crowd was goddamned loud for him too at that moment.

But my first was a WWF house show in the fall of 1988 at the Oakland Coliseum. My mom sprung for tickets and took two of my friends from school with me. The main event was Hulk Hogan with that weird biker's helmet vs. King Haku. I was still a Hogan fan then, so that ruled. I also really liked Haku, so that was a plus as well. I also saw the Blue Blazer, Mr. Perfect, the Ultimate Warrior and a bunch others. If my memory serves me correctly, I didn't know that Curt Hennig had come to the WWF and so I "marked out" when I saw him come down the aisle.

The house show was a lot of fun and my friend told me that some of it actually got on Saturday Night's Main Event not long after. WM9 was okay too. Worthy for the wrestlers I liked and got to see, but mostly for the photo.