TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AnnieEclectic

Lockdown Comments

Wow, I was scared, scared for my career here...

First off, Congrats to the two main upsets (in my mind): Quiz and Apostle. Congratulations, and here's hoping you go far.

Congrats to Craven, meaning the world gets ANNIE-CRAVEN IX. NINE. We've fought eight times already. Here we go again.

Muzzums with the winzzumz or something. (Y)

and yay! Winners bracket!

-Annie

Good showings from all who showed. I haven't read much, but Mike wrote the better match. I have no excuses, and it looks like I'll have to put on my work boots if I want to stay in this thing. I could use a show off but this is the title tourney and all. Congrats especially go out to Annie on her HUGE win over Judge.

The formerly masked man and woman both make the most of their first nights "out," so to speak. Great promos from Spike, wasting no time in shaking things up, and a big, big main event win for Annie. Some tournament surprises, a few sure things--the brackets for the next round are going to be veeeeeeddy interesting.

Guest Fire and Knives

Good show. Reading it now. Anybody who'd like to comment on my match...it would be appreciated. Right. Carry on.

K.

Guest Evolution

I need to start writing my matches sooner, instead of saving it until the absolute last moment so that life can fuck me over.

Umm, usual banter here about apologizing for not putting up a better fight against JD, I did show, despite a lackluster match, after some debate that JD himself might not show.

However, I knew that after all that shit that JD talked, him writing was inevitable.

So, I'm off to not read the show!

So far I've only read Quiz/Francis, and it was pretty decent. The role playing and use of characters was very well done, especially Quiz as a cunning sneaky heel which is how I envisioned him in my first match with him on a hunch, and luckly it's turned out to be direction he's taking the character.

At first I was rolling my eyes on the leg spot because I was thinking I was going to read a reinactment of Test's shitty trick on Raw(which no one should have bought as being in real, guys with real leg injuries don't do bad Ricky Steamboat impersonations). But than you threw the swerve when Show came out and interfered, which was pretty innovative.

The actual ring work was a little troublesome in spots, esepcially the meaningless counter stuff. Still a nice effort, it's not an all time classic, but I get the feeling it wasn't intended to be.

Dante's match = (Y)

And Apostle, ... way to show up. (Y) Good match. Keep at it, and you'll be up in here in no time.

Kibs match was fun. Though I did not give it a in depth read, I thought it ran well and was a good match, and by god, I marked like a little bitch when the marker came out and the the X was drawn. I should steal that.

Edited by Crowe

Guest Evolution

Well, I mostly have problems with those who no-sell often and make sure that we take note they no-sell. Hulk Hogan and the like, who just hulk up to get a face pop or whatever, that's fine.

It's the constant no-sellers that get at me. If you're not strong enough to match or top their vitality in a match, how the fuck do you win a straight match? Do you just beat their head into the post for 15 minutes, making sure not to be counted out?

I don't know, I just think wrestlers who sell manage to create the kind of wrestling I would want to watch.

It's the constant no-sellers that get at me. If you're not strong enough to match or top their vitality in a match, how the fuck do you win a straight match? Do you just beat their head into the post for 15 minutes, making sure not to be counted out?

My approach to this has always been something I stole from Greco. I don't know if anyone still remembers it, but at the 2000 Olympics, a chubby, teddy-bearish American named Rulon Gardner who'd never medalled internationally was up against a scary-looking Russian named Aleksandr Karelin who hadn't lost in 13 years or given up a point in 7. Gardner's approach was to exhaust Karelin, not try to outwrestle him. You have to sort of reverse things in pro wrestling... the point in a pro match is, loosely speaking, to wear the opponent out or knock him out. Against a rampant no-seller, you have to work with cradles, rollups and non-knockout pins. That is to say, against Kibagami, a bridged German is more useful than a backdrop driver. And, because some people don't catch on, you have to explain it with the commentary.

The only thing I've looked at in my precaffeinated state is Williams' finish. I'm impressed. I like the storyline you're starting, which would be a Cinderella story if you weren't so god damn talented. I'll take a better look at the show later on.

Congrats especially go out to Annie on her HUGE win over Judge.

Huge? I haven't won a match in like 4 shows, and another in 9. But in feud terms, yes it is. Anyways, with what limited Internet access I have (Network is all fucked up, glad I'm on right now) Congrats to all who won, especially Annie. I look forwards to maybe giving a passable showing and not having too early of an exit for the next show now...

Guest Goodear

See what happens when you get out of tag teams? Judge Jannetty my man, Judge Jannetty.

See what happens when you get out of tag teams? Judge Jannetty my man, Judge Jannetty.

Yeah, I'm feeling that way right about now... Can someone hand me a beer?

Sure, just come into this barbershop and I'll hook you up...

*CRASH*

Oh wait, I do have one advantage here...

*Uses politikal hold to shove Ejiro down the card.*

Whoo!

Huge? I haven't won a match in like 4 shows, and another in 9. But in feud terms, yes it is. Anyways, with what limited Internet access I have (Network is all fucked up, glad I'm on right now) Congrats to all who won, especially Annie. I look forwards to maybe giving a passable showing and not having too early of an exit for the next show now...

Welcome to my world, Judge; before my Hardcore Title "push," I'd lost something like seven matches in a row, and only no-showed one.

Well, I mostly have problems with those who no-sell often and make sure that we take note they no-sell.  Hulk Hogan and the like, who just hulk up to get a face pop or whatever, that's fine.

It's the constant no-sellers that get at me.  If you're not strong enough to match or top their vitality in a match, how the fuck do you win a straight match?  Do you just beat their head into the post for 15 minutes, making sure not to be counted out?

Well, what about characters who no-sell early and often, but gradually break down?

I personally like writing against characters who have extreme characteristics (max strength, max speed, max vitality); it's an interesting challenge. All these guys with cookie-cutter stats get monotonous sometimes.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

If you are talking about fighting JD... noone would have made you lose points if you made me sell. Hell do it the whole match. I merely ask that you present him as a tough, animal like person.

Flesher has a very effective method. Make them wear themselves out... burn out the fire so to speak. There's other methods of course. It's all on style.

Flesher doesn't expect me to outwrestle him. I don't expect Flesher to out strike me... Shit like that.

Guest Goodear

Or just do what I do. When the strikes and wrestling don't work, just kick them in the nuts and backdrop them into the ringpost.

Cheating... its FANNNNTASTIC

Guest Beingz0wningj00

The man has a point... kicking to the nuts = Cheat to win Essa!

Welcome to my world, Judge; before my Hardcore Title "push," I'd lost something like seven matches in a row, and only no-showed one.

Yeah, I always liked you and you're character and it kinda made me . I'm really just drifting without a purpose and I just need to think something up yet. When I have a plot or a fresh storyline I work well, but I've just been wandering. Oh well...

Well, remembering Ash's upset victory over Chris Raynor back at the Genesis II tournament, I was really anxious to see if any of the JLers would be able to score a first round victory here. I wasn't disappointed as Apostle~! stepped up big time. Nice job.

And damn, Suicide King is really becoming a dick! I love it!

I just noticed something: Suicide King only puts over other old, has-been superstars... ;) I'm thinking someone should do one of those "insider" reports about King having heat with some of the "up-and-comers."

Maybe we should do a Millionaires Club/New Blood angle... but, who should lead us?

Guest Korgath

Congratulations to all who made it to the next round in the winner's bracket.

I'm wondering how many JLers will mention Judge losing to Annie on the next Wrath.

Congratulations to Apostle, though I believe he's had MUCH better matches over in the SJL. Go far and make us proud!

Guest Goodear
Yeah, I always liked you and you're character and it kinda made me . I'm really just drifting without a purpose and I just need to think something up yet. When I have a plot or a fresh storyline I work well, but I've just been wandering. Oh well...

Seriously Judge, I think you're wandering a bit because you tie yourself up with the team a bit too much. And since The Mag 7 is basically down to you and I while Tom is on leave, you're sort of drifting a little since you're no longer the M7 den mother. If I were you, I would start amping up your gimmick again and start to pump up your character through some promos and such. Once you start bringing more personality to your matches, they write so much easier and turn out better product... at least in my view.

Congratulations to all who made it to the next round in the winner's bracket.

I'm wondering how many JLers will mention Judge losing to Annie on the next Wrath.

Congratulations to Apostle, though I believe he's had MUCH better matches over in the SJL. Go far and make us proud!

They'd better have me retort how I've beaten her twice clean as well :P;).

Judge: I really think you should try and finish off that long-belated angle from the JL, where you slowly revealed Judge's past history, and what embittered him towards the fans in general. That was really building up to something good, and I was enjoying it quite a bit.

Hell, that's what made me think you were future championship material in the first place.

But anyway, I hate to take this thread off topic, but... I'm going to actually comment on the show.

I know, I know Z isn't supposed to comment on these things. But I got bored and read most of Lockdown, so...

OPENING PROMO:

Starting from the start, in a shocking display of logic, I really enjoyed Atlas's promo off the top. Aside from establishing why Spike decided to masquerade as Atlas, it did an excellent job of setting up the King/Spike angle without a whole lot of past history to go on. Having King's anger build from Atlas/Annie "skipping" Ground Zero to taking shots at his career, and just having Spike rebut it isn't usually enough to put heat on something. But the promo is written with such intensity that it comes off VERY well. It's nice to see someone stand up to King's increasingly controlling character, too.

KIBAGAMI'S MATCH:

Overall, not bad, but throughly mediocre. I think it kind of meandered into the leg-work "meat" of the match, and wandered back out of it for the finish. Which is guess is alright, since the legwork is the most interesting part--some of it is pretty original, and it's written in an unusually engaging fashion. Kibagami beingz Tyrell Owens -> Demonstar was... not played up that well. I never thought I'd EVER see the Demonstar get hit without 3 paragraphs setting it up.

APOSTLE'S MATCH:

See? I told you I'd comment. Anyway... I dunno. It was an alright match, but only by JL standards. It seemed to lack direction quite often, stumbling through several action sequences. Granted, not everything in a match has to happen for a reason, but when you're trying to build up double injury psych, I think you need to do a more focused job of it. The bleeding was unnecessary, imo. Also, I don't oppose seeing Crow tap out; but to a JLer who doesn't have any pysical or established submission/technical mastery... I dunno. It was solid, andI hope you can keep going throughout this, Rando, but you'll have to pull together more concentrated efforts.

DANTE'S MATCH:

Okay match, if unspectacular, which seems to be the soup du jour. I liked the way Dante is being established as a cruiserweight with more than one dimentsion, talent wise, and also as a ring-vet. It's handy to build up a new character like that immediately, and allow opponents to have leeway when writing someone they don't have much to go back on. Sleeper spot seemed totally out of place, the way the match was being constructed, and finish looked rushed, being pretty much out-of-nowhere.

EJIRO'S PROMO:

Here's another angle I love: Ejiro vs WC. What's old is new again, eh? This time, though, WC isn't trying to combat Ejiro's tech with his acrobatics--he's being forced to play by Ejiro's rules now. It's very new, but I'm already quite into it. The way Fasaki is being portrayed makes him into a huge fuckin' dick. All things considered, he's looking like the top heel in the fed with Tom still on hiatus.

EJIRO'S MATCH:

Say it with me now: Solid but unspectacular. It was an okay tech vs power match, but I couldn't really get into it, for whatever reason. I think the spot that crippled Dace's back was introduced too late into the match. Also, I think WC's interferance on behalf of Dace, being an old friend, could've been utilized better.

ATLAS'S "MATCH":

Just a nice way to hammer home the events from the opening promo. I don't think King would actually have grounds to bench someone on a lack of contract just because of a name change, but I could be wrong. Flesher, you know anything about this?

Oh, and line of the night, right here: "What a JackHass!"

FINALLY, ANNIE'S MATCH:

Good all-around, sez I. The wrestling wasn't all that great, imo, but the story behind Judge wanting to shut down Annie for being a garbage wrestler (based on their aborted feud) and a woman (playing off her motivations behind Beezel), and of course, Annie coming triumphant in the end. This was, however, hammered in to the point of numbness in the commentary, which... was very not good. You botched Comet's character pretty good. He's not the slightly smart-ass, oversensitive colour commentator ala Mark. He's the loopy superhero who makes ridiculous remarks regarding INJUSTICE~ and criminals. Bobby has to be severely toned down to compensate, and almost made into a reluctant pbp guy because of his despising of Comet's mentality. And as far as the wrestling goes... well, okay, it wasn't THAT bad; but the figure-4 spot annoyed me. I hate hate hate when people make a big spot out of limb-work, but neither work it into the finish OR make it the focus of the match. Why do it in the first place?

And those are all the matches I read. On the overall, the show was alright... but a bit underwhelming. I guess you have to come to expect that from a show with completely random-draw matches, and the fact most people aren't really going to get into the first round of a tournament.

-Z

Hmm... well just to defend the Fig-4 spot... well, it was the turning point in the match. That's actually the spot that forces Annie to go from speedster to technical. I built it as a major spot only because I basically needed to justify Annie going away from Beezel's former high flying antics as I wanted to go away from it a bit v. Judge.

Having said that, may I say you're SPOT ON with my commentary. It's easily my weakest point, and with the new team I have no fucking clue how to write Comet. Not a clue. I wanted to avoid being too "JUSTICE~! GOOD PREVAILS~!" and had no real idea how to do it. So I screwed him over and made him Mark. Sorry.

-Annie