TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Short lived TV shows no one seems to remember

You want obscure game shows, try Caesar's Palace, Bumper Stumpers, Face the Music, Quicksilver and Hot Potato.

I know all five of those...and the first one is actually Caesar's Challenge.

Obscure game shows? How about Gambit, Headline Chasers, Wordplay, The Challengers, It's Your Move (not the Jason Bateman crapfest) and Definition?

The USA Network was a game show mecca back in the early 90s. I saw the new Pyramid, and I can't believe how bad they are! Compared to the 80s one, they're all on sedatives. (Though the possibility of everyone on the 80s Pyramid being on cocaine is not to be ruled out.)

I remember Caesar's Challenge. I think it involved Bryant Gumbel, a centaur, and a ping-pong ball tumbler.

Guest Eagan469
You want obscure game shows, try Caesar's Palace, Bumper Stumpers, Face the Music, Quicksilver and Hot Potato.

Obscure game shows? How about Gambit, Headline Chasers, Wordplay, The Challengers, It's Your Move (not the Jason Bateman crapfest) and Definition?

The USA Network was a game show mecca back in the early 90s. I saw the new Pyramid, and I can't believe how bad they are! Compared to the 80s one, they're all on sedatives. (Though the possibility of everyone on the 80s Pyramid being on cocaine is not to be ruled out.)

I remember Caesar's Challenge. I think it involved Bryant Gumbel, a centaur, and a ping-pong ball tumbler.

Yeah, weekdays from 10:00 AM to like 4:00 PM on both USA Network and Family Channel. Game show heaven.

That was my childhood right there.

Thanks for the correction on Caesar's Challenge. It was hosted by Ahmad Rashad.

And I've heard of all of those shows too. Gambit was the first show Wink Martindale ever hosted and I actually was a big fan of Wordplay. I have a game show encyclopedia which is an indespensible resource book for me.

Guest Choken One

I loved that fucking show! The older brother was awesome and they had the sterotypical High School Drama but the kids spoke to the camera...It lasted 6 weeks.

Guest El Satanico

How about Not Necessarily The News? It was an HBO show that ran from 1983 until 199O starring Stuart Pankin and featuring Rich Hall. It was a news show spoof ala The Daily Show, but also had skits. It was basically The Daily Show mixed with SNL.

I loved that show, does anyone else remember it?

EDIT: I just remembered that this is for short lived shows. Oh well I wanted to mention it anyway.

Edited by El Satanico

Guest Choken One

is a 7 year show really *that* short lived?

Speaking of which...

What would you stay is the most obscure long lasting television (Network).

WOuld you say COPS? It's been around for 15 years and yet not really a ratings or critical darling...

Guest El Satanico

COPS isn't obscure, unless we're talking about the cartoon.

Everyone knows it's there...the public just doesn't watch it like they use to.

Yeah, weekdays from 10:00 AM to like 4:00 PM on both USA Network and Family Channel. Game show heaven.

Yeah mine too. I should obtain a picture of Alf on Hollywood Squares.

Eagan do you remember Split Second? That was a cool show.

Guest Eagan469

hs3.jpg

hs5.jpghs6.jpg

I don't remember Split Second. I've probably seen it before.

Eagan do you remember Split Second? That was a cool show.

Split Second was one of my all-time favourites. I loved the idea of three-part questions, and Monty Hall was great as the host.

Guest Eagan469
Deacon, tell me why the players and contestants are functioning at half speed and half intelligence on the new Pyramid compared to the old one.

Two words: Donny Osmond

Funny story - in English class last year we had nothing to do and we turned on the TV. I was flipping through the channels when I and no less than 5 others blurted out "HOLY SHIT, FLIP BACK! Is that the Pyramid?"

We watched it all class. Pretty lame compared to the old incarnations.

Deacon, tell me why the players and contestants are functioning at half speed and half intelligence on the new Pyramid compared to the old one.

It's the Game Show Remake phenomenon. All aspects of the new show shall be at least five times as lame as the old show.

(See: Whammy, Pyramid, Card Sharks, Family Feud)

It's the Game Show Remake phenomenon. All aspects of the new show shall be at least five times as lame as the old show.

(See: Whammy, Pyramid, Card Sharks, Family Feud)

It seemed mostly the same except the set was all dark and evil like Millionaire, but soooooooooooooo slow. The Winner's Circle was just so slow...there were seconds of dead silence! I miss when Billy Crystal and Peter Scolari would clear the board in like 30 seconds and stuff.

Does anybody remember the cartoon that had Micheal Jordan, Larry Bird and Bo Jackson as crime fighters?  Or am I having an acid flashback again?

prostarslogo.gif

Click here to download the intro

Yeah...except it was Wayne Gretzky, not Larry Bird.

Like the episode where the Stanley Cup was stolen and Wayne had to teach Jordan and Jackson how to skate so they could win it back!

I only remember parts of the theme song though "Jordan jams, in your face." "Bo know's where to go." and "Wayne's hot, slapshot."

One of my favorite stories is about Press Your Luck; the guy that memorizes the pattern of the board and cleaned them out. Most people remember the show when I tell them.

And I have hours of Captain N and The Super Mario Super Show on tape.

Guest Eagan469
One of my favorite stories is about Press Your Luck; the guy that memorizes the pattern of the board and cleaned them out. Most people remember the show when I tell them.

You didn't see the Game Show Network special?

Eagan and CC took my answers. Although, overall I do sense a dumbing down in game shows. I really don't think game shows are as challenging as they used to be. The reasons for this are varied, but I would primarily go with the dumbing down of America overall. I don't think most people are as generally educated and aware of the world around them as they used to be. There is also the idea that game shows attract the lowest elements, like the talk shows and judge shows that fill the same time slots, and therefore you have to make the game easier and slower for the trailer park hicks to keep up with. But I don't even find the celebrities to be as smart or into the game as they used to be. Back in the day, Markie Post and Michael J. Fox (who Dick Clark has said were the two best Pyramid players ever) would bust their ass to win money for people and now the celebrities could care less. You also had people like Soupy Sales and Nispy Russell who were just thrilled to have an outlet to be on telelvision and were very funny and energetic, but now everyone sees gameshows as the dredges to do. Nobody wants to do gameshows anymore. I wish I was famous, I would school those lazy fuckers on how you do it.

You didn't see the Game Show Network special?

Apparently not. I read about it on snopes.

Alright, there's another show I can't remember the name of.

It was a sitcom from the late-80's, early-90's. 

It focused around the people living in a 3 or 4-story apartment.  Each family/couple occupied 1 floor and they all became friends.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Yes...it was a three-story brownstone somewhere in New York. There was a older black couple on one floor, and a pair of young newlyweds on another floor. I remember it from the review in TV Guide in that year's Fall Preview issue.

What the hell was the name of it, though?

CanadianChris - I E-Mailed TV Geek. His reply:

Well, I looked high & low and sadly, I couldn't find the answer.

Is there any additional information you might be able to provide (actors, network, etc.)?

From The King of TV

Paul Goebel

TheKingofTV.com

Damn.

I E-Mailed Stump The Shark and they still haven't put my question up, so I'm hoping they get to it soon.

The show was called "Married People" and aired on ABC.

Click here for it's IMDB listing.

It focused around the people living in a 3 or 4-story apartment.  Each family/couple occupied 1 floor and they all became friends.

Yes...it was a three-story brownstone somewhere in New York. There was a older black couple on one floor, and a pair of young newlyweds on another floor. I remember it from the review in TV Guide in that year's Fall Preview issue.

Is there any additional information you might be able to provide (actors, network, etc.)?

From The King of TV

Paul Goebel

TheKingofTV.com

Damn.

I E-Mailed Stump The Shark and they still haven't put my question up, so I'm hoping they get to it soon.

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely forgot...the only reason I watched the show in the first place was because Jay Thomas was on it.

Kinda cool that we stumped the TV Geek, too. :D

Another one that gets a awful response of "huh" was Sonic The Hedgehog. ...ok, I guess I should specify which one (as there is a couple of different ones). But the one I'm refering to is the one that was based in the comic book universe. I'm kinda surprised that people remember the others, but not that one.

Ok this is what I remember. In the late 90s there was 2 totally different Sonic The Hedgehog cartoons and in both Sonic was voiced by Steve Urkel himself. One was on ABC Saturday mornings and it was kinda dark. It had Sonic and some girl leading a bunch of freedom fighters against RoBotNic who had a bunch of robot soldiers. Tails was in it but, he didn't do much of anything.

The second Sonic was in syndication and was way lighter and funnier in tone. In this one it's just Sonic and Tails fighting against RoBotNic, who hasn't taking over the town in this cartoon. And RoBotNic had two robots, one was a chicken and the was a green robot with wheels. And then he had a monkey on that was always cleaning the house.

Guest Eagan469

From The King of TV

Paul Goebel

TheKingofTV.com

Damn.

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely forgot...the only reason I watched the show in the first place was because Jay Thomas was on it.

Kinda cool that we stumped the TV Geek, too. :D

MDH257 - thanks so much

Yeah, knowing you stumped the TV geek is cool. :headbang: